Montis vs Impression

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in NJ

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing one of these speakers
I understand the impression recently came out around 6 months also and the Montis came out few years ago - my question is if you were to purchase one of these used (Montis at $5,500) or (imperession at $6,500) which would you choose and why?
I listen to mostly classic rock and really like to hear dynamic swings (start stop) and soundstaging.
I've heard Martin Logan's before (not these models) and really like the soundstaging and solidity of images and coherency.
Thanks to all who post
Mike

Martin Logan's have incredible imaging and soundstaging. The truth is that both are great speakers and you can't go wrong with either. But if the choice was mine, I would go with the Impression. The Montis has a single 10" woofer powered by a 200 watt amp. The impression has dual 8" woofers powered by dual 275 watt amps That's going to make a big difference when you turn the rock music up loud. I think the quality of the bass response will be much better with the Impression, and then you also have the option of running the ARC room correction software on it as well. Seems like a no-brainer.

I have had my Montis for a few months now. Couldn't be happier, they are a big upgrade over my previous Ethos. I got mint condition dealer demos for a few hundred less than $5500 ($51XX if I recall) and they are upgraded bubinga finish. Have not heard the Impressions, but have heard the Expressions. Even in a crappy Magnolia room, I could tell that if properly set up, they would be a big step up from Montis or Summit X ( I somewhat preferred the Monits to the Summit X, probably based on my room set up). Even though the Impressions are spec'd the same as the Montis, I suspect you can probably get a little better in room bass response. Panel should essentially be the same. Also the bass cab is quite a bit bigger. Dealer said you could position them pretty close to the front wall, but my room is not that big so I don't know. I think if you could get Impressions for $6500 relative to $5500 Montis, that would probably be the way to go. You can probably find used Montis for less than $5k now, so I don't know if I would pay a $2K premium for Impressions.

J and Rich both make good points. Also consider ....... if you are able to score a pair of Montis at a killer price that would leave you extra $$ for a sub or two, easily bettering what the Impression alone could do, especially when properly placed and EQ'd for your room.

As Rich stated NO brainer as DSP is a huge advantage.. I heard the Impression and was IMPRESSED ! No pun intended !

Back