Experience feedback with AVR Marantz and ESL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guynemer

Reaction score
Hello.

I would like to see if some of you have had experience of using home cinema AVR from the brand Marantz with ESL speakers, especiall the electromotion.

My current set up is a pair of electromotion and dynamo 700 attched to a Marantz SR5009.

I have noticed that I can't really play the speakers very loud (setting volume higher than 80) would trigger the power cut off protection from the AVR.

Is it because I have a defective amp unit, or is it that it's not sufficient to drive the speakers ?

Anyways, let me know if you have feedback about this kind of combination.

Thx :)

I was running my Electromotions on a SR5007 for a little bit before I got a dedicated amplifier and it use to get really hot. Even when I was using it as a processor only it still pretty hot. Is the AVR in a cabinet? I put an cooling fan on the back of mine.

Indeed it gets hot to the point where I cannot put my hand on it. It's not in a cabinet though. Now I've a fan blowing on it, but still won't help much when it comes to protection cut off with loud volume.

IMO, the fact that your receiver only weighs 22 lbs tells me right there ........."it ain't got no balls". Very few (if any) receivers can adequately drive electrostatic speakers.

Indeed it gets hot to the point where I cannot put my hand on it. It's not in a cabinet though. Now I've a fan blowing on it, but still won't help much when it comes to protection cut off with loud volume.

When I was running the ESL off of my Marantz I was living in a condo so I couldn't really play it loud so I never had an issue with it overheating. The Marantz has RCA out so I suggest getting a decent 2 channel amp to run them. Make sure the amp is at least 4 ohm stable.

Not nearly enough power to ohm ratio ? Can you please ellaborate ?

Regarding the impedance, I read that when it comes to high end of the treebles, the impendance was falling down to 1 ohm making the amp suffer. I wonder if that would explain the power issue I am experiencing.

I am definately looking for a power amp that would allow me to drive the electromotion better. But first I need to understand what are really the power requirements to drive those. The stuff out there is quite confusing.

On one hand I read that they're power greedy, on the other I read that small amps can easily drive the panels ...

Back