From 'Chit' to Shlnola .......comes another turntable !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm a digital diehard, but to my biased eyes, all I can think is why does the US need a company producing buggy whips in the age of the automobile?

albeit the younger crowed is back into vinyl l as its trendy its a old technology. I will go tour the plant as its close I am and have two TT do not want to go BACKWARDS.. Lazy old and hate getting up is why I went the way of a music server

I know I'm a digital diehard, but to my biased eyes, all I can think is why does the US need a company producing buggy whips in the age of the automobile?

LOL Mark, your first six words pretty much sums it up. Then the next five shows where you got 'derailed' .............if you ever get the opportunity to listen to a really good analog set up, let your ears be responsible for judging not your eyes !

LOL Mark, your first six words pretty much sums it up. Then the next five shows where you got 'derailed' .............if you ever get the opportunity to listen to a really good analog set up, let your ears be responsible for judging not your eyes !
Good point, Dave. I had a friend and his wife over last week as he wanted her to listen to vinyl, but he brought his Rega DAC for comparison with my DIY DAC. We listened to the same recording on vinyl, then on the two DACs. They both said that my DAC was better than his, but that the vinyl was best.

To be fair, though, my analog rig cost about 10 times what my DAC cost.

Victor, I saw that, everybody wants a piece of the action now !

What is music? It is a vibration of the air from something, analog Vibrates just as it should...Digital is a code, and a damn good one with the stuff I've heard at friends places. Something is always missing for me. I'm a SS guy, I only have a tubed headphone amp because the big AKG's are a touch too unforgiving of forward produced CD's I've bought. Same with the Summits, they will let you know what is nice or not so nice upstream. I have many recordings on cassette, very beyond high quality TDK MA-XG's, Sony Metal Masters...that were done with different carts, Grace 9Fe, Silver bullet Ortophone, AQ moving coils, Shure V15's, every one was a pleasure.

Add in the factor of big cover art, art in itself. Passing it and the liner notes on the sleeve to your listening buddies, priceless...

Good point, Dave. I had a friend and his wife over last week as he wanted her to listen to vinyl, but he brought his Rega DAC for comparison with my DIY DAC. We listened to the same recording on vinyl, then on the two DACs. They both said that my DAC was better than his, but that the vinyl was best.

To be fair, though, my analog rig cost about 10 times what my DAC cost.

Fun stuff Bernard. Gotta love this hobby and those who use their ears for judgement.

FWIW, sold my vinyl collection. Off to California next week for a new home where they will be used and enjoyed.

Big surprise last night. Put a new NOS Seimens 7308 tube (German made circa 1970) into my pre. Had an EAT 6922 which is a pretty good tube. Bought on a recommend from Brent Jesse after I described the desired tonal changes I wanted to achieve.

What an amazing difference. Suffice to say, for a very small investment, I am one very happy camper.

Gordon

PS: Good news is that digital continues to improve and the price / performance ratio keeps getting better everyday.

Last edited:
I've long since given up on vinyl. My digital rig sounds so good, better than any vinyl rig I have ever heard (though I've only heard super high end ones at audio shows). Combine that with the cost and effort to put together a good vinyl rig and music collection and the extreme care that has to be taken to ensure vinyl is not damaged, storage headaches, etc., and I can't think of one reason to maintain a vinyl rig. All of my old vinyl is in poor condition and I have 99% of it in a digital format anyway.

I set my old turntable up a few months ago to listen to a couple of albums I can't get on digital. It's a cheap technics and I hooked it up to an inexpensive Schit phono preamp. It sounded terrible! There's just no going back for me. I'm convinced we have reached the point where high end digital sounds as good or better than high end vinyl. And that's not even considering all the other drawbacks that come with vinyl and the sheer convenience of digital.

Last edited:
I'm convinced we have reached the point where high end digital sounds as good or better than high end vinyl.

Yeah, but what about tape Rich?

Vinyl is just cheap, consumer crap for the masses. Noone uses it professionally.

Tape on the other hand - has produced the absolute best sound I have heard (on many occasions, but unfortunately not in my system).

Tape is great stuff! I don't go anywhere without it :)

1240539.large.jpg

Yeah, but what about tape Rich?

Vinyl is just cheap, consumer crap for the masses. Noone uses it professionally.

Tape on the other hand - has produced the absolute best sound I have heard (on many occasions, but unfortunately not in my system).

Oh, I absolutely agree. Tape can produce fantastic sound. At RMAF, they used to have this company that sold refurbished classic tape decks. They were absolute works of art! And they sounded as good as they looked. I just don't consider it practical for my home system, considering I have almost 2000 CDs, SACD's, and audio DVD's and not a single reel of tape.

Fun stuff Bernard. Gotta love this hobby and those who use their ears for judgement.

FWIW, sold my vinyl collection. Off to California next week for a new home where they will be used and enjoyed.

Big surprise last night. Put a new NOS Seimens 7308 tube (German made circa 1970) into my pre. Had an EAT 6922 which is a pretty good tube. Bought on a recommend from Brent Jesse after I described the desired tonal changes I wanted to achieve.

What an amazing difference. Suffice to say, for a very small investment, I am one very happy camper.

Gordon

PS: Good news is that digital continues to improve and the price / performance ratio keeps getting better everyday.
Gordon, those 7308s are indeed special. I just wish I had bought a half-dozen when I saw them going cheap.

One frustrating thing about tubes, though, is that with rare tube types it can be confusing as to what other types can be used as substitutes. I have Chinese 6N1 tubes in my DAC, and was told by the vendor that I can substitute Russian 6N1P or 6922 tubes, but elsewhere I read that you can't use 6N1Ps.

Roberto has an interesting philosophy: If you want to enjoy digital you have to stop listening to analog. I have to agree with him; for the most part I'm really pleased with my digital setup, but good vinyl really amazes me.

Last edited:
Oh, I absolutely agree. Tape can produce fantastic sound. At RMAF, they used to have this company that sold refurbished classic tape decks. They were absolute works of art! And they sounded as good as they looked. I just don't consider it practical for my home system, considering I have almost 2000 CDs, SACD's, and audio DVD's and not a single reel of tape.
Another consideration is there is a limited selection of tapes....at $200+ each. I would rather have my collection, albeit on "cheap, consumer crap for the masses" vinyl.

The last tape deck that I used was one of these.

24bit digital SONY DASH

We had a bunch of tapes from Sterling Sound in NYC to work with while we were testing our Automation code on a digital mastering console.

Some of what we listened to were tracks for upcoming albums. We would bet on which tracks would be included on the final and were always wrong.

There was some Whitney Houston for one album that really sounded jazzy and we all loved it and when we heard the final cut that was a billboard hit, it didn't hold a candle to this other version. Oh well they sold millions so they probably knew what they were doing.

SonyDash.jpg

Last edited:
Gordon, those 7308s are indeed special. I just wish I had bought a half-dozen hen I saw the going cheap.

One frustrating thing about tubes, though, is that with rare tube types there is can b confusing as to what other types can be used as substitutes. I have Chinese 6N1 tubes in my DAC, and was told by the vendor that I can substitute Russian 6N1P or 6922 tubes, but elsewhere I read that you can't use 6N1Ps.

Bernard,

I cold called Brent Jesse to check on a tube that Ken offered to me regarding if it was a 6922 equivalent. Told him up front that I was not calling to buy. He was very happy to provide advice and unfortunately it was not.

I ended up buying the 7308 from him.

He will know the answer to your question. 847.496.4546

Gordon

Bernard,

I cold called Brent Jesse to check on a tube that Ken offered to me regarding if it was a 6922 equivalent. Told him up front that I was not calling to buy. He was very happy to provide advice and unfortunately it was not.

I ended up buying the 7308 from him.

He will know the answer to your question. 847.496.4546

Gordon
Thanks for the info, Gordon. I'll call him.

Hola Gordon and Bernard...I got from Russia 12 tubes 6H1N-BN made for military use. I did change my Sonic Frontiers Line3 6922s by these ones, and I my ears said WOW!. I must have some bad 6922s, because the sound is more dynamic, and better bottom, with authority, but not bass oversize. These babies are inexpensive, but perhaps I was lucky. I do not know if the production of these 6H1N-BN varies. All I can report is that my SF is giving me a fantastic stage, wider than it was before, with outstanding resolution, with the well balanced tonal harmonic texture. I am not saying that they could match your 7308 Gordon, but I got 12 units for $30.00 plus shipping.

I am going to do some research in the Internet to find out what people is saying about this tube. But again, I am liking a lot what I am listening!

Happy listening!

Latest posts

Back