These things are big...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Just received my Vanquish surrounds. Man these things are huge! I knew the measurements when I bought them, but I wasn't prepared for the immense size. Biggest in-ceiling speakers I've seen, and probably the most beautiful I've seen... can't wait to get these puppies installed. Thought I'd share...

Dan

IMG_2580.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah baby !!

Dan, that should make the opening scene from 'Master and Commander' REALLY rock your ceiling !!

That is such a great opening, plus really enjoyable movie. I have played that movie and had people looking around the room puzzled at what they were hearing.

much bigger than I thought.. Try Predator Mini gun scene or U571 Depth charge scene

Yes they are impressive and heavy. I have 6 in my media room and it took some work to get them installed. I have a suspended ceiling and there was no way I could attach them to the panels - I'm not even sure I would totally trust them to 1/2" dry wall maybe 5/8". I ended taking 3/4" MDF with a hole cut in the center to accept them and then screwed the MDF to the floor joists. It was a little more complicated than that as I also have to shim up each corner so it was level. Then wrapped them in like 3' of 12" thick fiberglass insulation. In system #504 there is a picture after install. The one thing that I would of liked to do and could not was to put cross wood piece to create a box around each speaker. If you can I would suggest to give that a try as there should be a nice improvement in the bass response beyond what is already great. Another idea is to use a Dynabox or Dynamat if you can find one big enough. If you can I may add them to mine. What speaker wires did you go with? Make sure to feed them with some thing good. Also make sure you have the setting right this speaker has to switches and both need to be set to where it is.

Last edited:
Hi, newbie here. I just purchased my first set of speakers for my new home - attached are pics of the media room (11.5' X 20') and you can see pre-wires are in place. The prewires for the side walls are for the sconces. Pair of Vanquish for Front L and R (going on slant), Axis for Center Channel (also on slant), and 2 pairs Electromotion R for the surrounds (pair going on top ceiling, and another pair on the rear slant). I wanted to go with a very clean look without any bookshelf or floorstanding speakers. Also got the Denon X6300H as the receiver. Looking to do Dolby Atmos setup, and will be using Oppo UDP-203 4K bluray player, a projection screen (not sure which one to get but looking at 110 or 120''...ideas??) and an undecided JVC projector -either RS-600/620 or JVC-X950/970R.

Thoughts on what i can expect for the sound quality?? Also, what device would be the best at doing dolby atmos decoding, and video 4k upconversion? Technology has come a long way as all the equipment can handle both audio/video functions so its confusing what to use for what?!

Help appreciated.

IMG_0456.jpgIMG_0455.jpgIMG_0454.jpg

i started a new thread. Yes, because of the stucco elevation i chose for my house, they had to make some structural and roof related adjustments which impacted the media room ceilings. What i was told by people that saw my space was that it will work in my favor to have speakers pointed towards he direction of the audience.

Thanks

Back