Martin Logan Center Channel for Wilson Audio Fronts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowanrg

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking to add a center channel to my 2.1 channel system. I just want vocals to be a bit more intelligible off-axis for movies and TV shows. I use an Anthem AVM-60 processor as my pre-amp, and unfortunately, you can't adjust the center channel level if you don't actually have a center channel ;-) The Wilson Audio center is around $9k and over 70 pounds. I don't really have the room (or budget) for such a beast. My system is primarily a 2-channel music system, I'd just like movies to sound a bit better. My speakers are Wilson Audio Sasha (series 1) and I have a JL Audio F113. I was looking at Martin Logan centers since they shouldn't sound 'boxy', which is very important in trying to match the Wilsons.

I noticed that there are apparently some new centers coming out early this year and was wondering if I could pick up a used ML center for cheap. I was looking at the Stage or Motif, but was wondering if it would make sense to pick up an older Theater i, or something similar. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or if I should be looking at something else? I realize I want to voice match the center as much as I can, but I just can't justify $9k for a center channel...

Consistent speaker "voicing" is critical. Could be a big mismatch.

Yes, I fully understand. This is not an ideal situation, and I realize this. It's either that or spending $9k. I'm fine sacrificing some quality to save several thousand dollars. I don't critically watch movies, I just want better dialog. It's always best to match the center with the fronts, I agree.

You could separate your home theater and 2-channel systems like I did and get all new matching speakers for the home theater. Or you could buy any number of brands of center channel, which will likely result in a tone mismatch with your Wilson's, which may or may not be a problem for you. The Stage is an excellent center channel, no doubt. I have a used one in excellent condition that I would sell for $1,500, if you're interested. It's all black. There are lots of other options for center channel, as well.

You could separate your home theater and 2-channel systems like I did and get all new matching speakers for the home theater. Or you could buy any number of brands of center channel, which will likely result in a tone mismatch with your Wilson's, which may or may not be a problem for you. The Stage is an excellent center channel, no doubt. I have a used one in excellent condition that I would sell for $1,500, if you're interested. It's all black. There are lots of other options for center channel, as well.

Thanks Rich. I'm not looking to create a separate system, as that would be pretty costly ;-) I'm OK with the tone mismatch, I'm just trying to get as close as possible. $1500 is a fair offer, but prices will surely come down once the new models start shipping. I was mainly focused on Martin Logan as they don't use a traditional box/enclosure. Most speakers sound pretty 'boxy' in comparison to the Wilsons (to me at least). Also, they offer relatively high end centers that can fill a good sized room.

Back