Next Improvement = ????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerneil

Reaction score
I have made several improvements in my music room setup recently and I am pondering my next move to obtain the very best sound I can get (for my budget).

My current set up features the following:
- McIntosh 6700 Integrated Amp - 200 watts
- Martin Logan Montis speakers :)
- Sony Z1ES Music Server
- Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable (I don't listen to much vinyl)
- Analysis Plus Oval 9 Speaker Cables

What should my next move be?
(Changing out to a new Amp, or new speakers is not viable at this point.)

Where can I get my biggest improvement????
- Room treatments?
- Power Conditioning?
- Balanced XLR interconnect cables from Server to Amp?
- or ????

99% of my listening is music from my Sony Server, and I really don't want to get rid of my new speakers or McIntosh.

I am interested in others' experience with this step of the process.

Thanks!

I'm gonna guess room treatments but first you need to tell us more about your room. Size, configuration, etc

Room first then YES go XLR it is a 6 db gain and makes a world of clarity as the system is fully ballanced pending the Mac and Sony are true ballanced.. Just because it has XLR does not mean its fully balanced circuitry.. Check with the pieces..

Corner bass traps and first reflection points. How far are you Montis from the front wall? If it's under 5' put some curtains or paintings behind them.

Definitely room treatments, no other thing affects how a system sounds more than the room, and large dipole electrostats are more impacted than say a box speaker.

If less than 5' from wall behind them, definitely consider absorption, as that will clean up the frequency response and improve the mid-bass. I use and recommend RealTraps miniTraps HF for that application.

I use and recommend RealTraps miniTraps HF for that application.

I have tried curtains, paintings, ebay 2" full range acoustic panels, and GIK 242. When you put more sound absorption behind the panels you trade sound stage for clarity. I ended up with the paintings because they were a good balance and it had a high WAF.

Back