Music server advice…

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
As many have read on my earlier thread, I am new to the Digital server game....I'm looking for a decent music server for a $1500 budget. I have been looking at the Cambridge audio 851N Music server, but I know nothing about it other than it has decent reviews. I want to get your guys take.
I will be matching it up with a Synology RS816 server (maybe) now in reading that it only has 1gb ram that is fixed and can't be upgraded. So, I may be looking for another alternative that has more ram… idk

Whatcha think??

Dan

Last edited:
After a little additional research, it appears the the Synology RS815+ my be the way to go as it can employ 6GB of RAM...

So now just need input on the Cambridge Audio 851N network music server/DAC. Will this be too redundant with the Synology or will the benefits be worth spending the money??

The Synology is a storage unit for all your digital files (music & movies). The main purpose of the Synology being a 'server' is to have the data available on your network. Your existing Oppo (or the Cambridge 851n) serves as a 'renderer' which provides a tunnel to pull the digital data from the server and convert to analogue signal to the preamp. These 2 functions do not overlap. When considering the 'renderer' like Cambridge 851n, in addition to sound quality, you should also consider how friendly and stable the control application is on iPad/iPhone or Android. The control app provides one with the capability to search for music and compose playlist. For music server, the control application is just as important as the hardware.

Hope this helps,
Spike

OK Ill join the group. I just received a Krell Connect with the Sabre DAC.. I need a Bit of help . I am looking at a NAS.. Is the Western digital My cloud 4tb unit any good. Ill be backing up all files on a separate HD

Thanks, Spike. I am learning as I go while trying to map out the components I need for a quality end result. I have a budget that I'm trying to stay within. I don't have an Oppo any longer, but I'm looking to acquire a used 105D for my blurays, and the occasional cd listening session. I need to research how intuitive the apps are for the 105D as a renderer. If I don't need the 851n, then I may use that $1500 to upgrade my Integra with a new Onkyo pre pro instead.
So many needs/wants on a budget

Dan

I don't have an Oppo any longer
Your Onkyo has decent Burr-Brown (now TI) DACs and is capable of accessing music from your NAS for streaming. You should give it a try first before thinking about upgrading with a dedicated music server. You are new to this game so you should try to understand the capability and short-comings of your system before attempting to upgrade.

Good Luck
Spike

Is the Western digital My cloud 4tb unit any good. Ill be backing up all files on a separate HD
I don't have any experience with WD My Cloud. From reading the spec, it looks like it is up to the task of serving music to your newly acquired Krell Connect.

Your Onkyo has decent Burr-Brown (now TI) DACs and is capable of accessing music from your NAS for streaming. You should give it a try first before thinking about upgrading with a dedicated music server. You are new to this game so you should try to understand the capability and short-comings of your system before attempting to upgrade.

Good Luck
Spike

I currently own an older Integra 80.2 pre-pro that currently streams from our main computer wifi network. I have access to itunes, internet radio, etc.. just like my old Onkyo did. I guess I'm not that new to the concept, since I've been able to do that for the last 7 years.

What I'm looking to do is bring my system into this decade with all of the abilities and sound quality that the newer music servers offer. We purchased a new house in the last year and I am finishing up my whole house audio system along with the main system. I have come to the conclusion that what I am going to do is upgrade my processor with the Onkyo PR-RZ5100, along with purchasing the Synology RS815+. Hold off on the Oppo 105D, until the first of the year and see what Oppo's new audiophile player looks like. That should give me a solid baseline to start bringing my system into the new age....

I will update on the results.. Thank you for the advice, Spike! It helped to clear up my decision making process.. lol

Dan

I have come to the conclusion that what I am going to do is upgrade my processor with the Onkyo PR-RZ5100, along with purchasing the Synology RS815+.
Looks like you're all set for a nice upgrade. For the Onkyo, make sure you evaluate the analogue section carefully. The rationale being that if you do decide to get the new Oppo (or a better streamer/DAC), you'd be using the analogue input to leverage the (supposedly) better analogue signal path. In this scenario, if the analogue section of the Onkyo is not up-to-par with the Oppo (for example), you're not using the Oppo to its full potential. I am not saying that the Onkyo is not a good pre-amp/processor, but I'm just using it as an example. I just wanted to bring up a point where I'd like to have contingency plan for future upgrade, just in case.

Good luck,
Spike

I need to research how intuitive the apps are for the 105D as a renderer.

Dan

Hi Dan... I'm using a Synology DS1515+ and the Oppo 105D as a renderer and am quite please with the sound and capabilities. You can use the Synology DSMusic app to stream from the NAS to the Oppo, or the Oppo Media controller app can pull from the NAS. Some subtle differences between them, but both work nicely. Lots of file types are supported, including many hi-res formats.

Looks like you're all set for a nice upgrade. For the Onkyo, make sure you evaluate the analogue section carefully. The rationale being that if you do decide to get the new Oppo (or a better streamer/DAC), you'd be using the analogue input to leverage the (supposedly) better analogue signal path. In this scenario, if the analogue section of the Onkyo is not up-to-par with the Oppo (for example), you're not using the Oppo to its full potential. I am not saying that the Onkyo is not a good pre-amp/processor, but I'm just using it as an example. I just wanted to bring up a point where I'd like to have contingency plan for future upgrade, just in case.

Good luck,
Spike

Thanks, Spike! The top of the line Onkyo used to be the old Onkyo Pro line which duplicates the Integra series. If I used the Oppo DACs I would be running balanced cables through the Onkyo, so it should be a pretty clean pass through. I'm waiting to see what the new Oppo offers in the way of DACs. It is sure to be pretty sweet.
The Onkyo and Synology are on order, so I should get to play around shortly.

Dan

Hi Dan... I'm using a Synology DS1515+ and the Oppo 105D as a renderer and am quite please with the sound and capabilities. You can use the Synology DSMusic app to stream from the NAS to the Oppo, or the Oppo Media controller app can pull from the NAS. Some subtle differences between them, but both work nicely. Lots of file types are supported, including many hi-res formats.

Thanks Tom, I'm anxious to see what the different formats have to offer. Onkyo has their own apps as well, so I will get to play with theirs until Oppo releases their next gen player in the first part of the year. Until then I've got a ton of ripping to do with the Synology addition. I'd like to got my DVD and blurays ripped eventually, but I have a feeling that it won't be an easy task. Once my new components and rack get here, and get into place, I will take new pics and probably start a new systems thread..

Dan

As many have read on my earlier thread, I am new to the Digital server game....I'm looking for a decent music server for a $1500 budget. I have been looking at the Cambridge audio 851N Music server, but I know nothing about it other than it has decent reviews. I want to get your guys take.
I will be matching it up with a Synology RS816 server (maybe) now in reading that it only has 1gb ram that is fixed and can't be upgraded. So, I may be looking for another alternative that has more ram… idk

Whatcha think??

Dan

Am I missing something here but for about 1k more you can have a real music server that is built just as a music server -the Aurender N100H is ideal. The App is outstanding too boot. It now comes with options on hard drive space and color. You should at least test one out you will not be disappointed.

Am I missing something here but for about 1k more you can have a real music server that is built just as a music server -the Aurender N100H is ideal. The App is outstanding too boot. It now comes with options on hard drive space and color. You should at least test one out you will not be disappointed.

Thanks! I will keep that in my back pocket. I have the Onkyo PR RZ5100 processor and Synology RS815+ 8TB server in route to the house. I want a quality whole house network option that is also solid with 2-channel and home theater, as well. I know it's a lot to ask, but that's what need, budget, and space demand.

I will update progress as I get more into it.

Dan

to just do two channel and high res would one need that much of a unit.. Im only storing music, both high res and redbook ! But need a NAS

Have you gotten any farther yet?

Are you planning on distributing stereo and video thru the house? Distributing audio input (for a receiver/etc in each room) or speaker input?

I've been distributing audio (from a Windows 7 pc, using a VLC player). The audio quality seem amazingly good thru my CLS's. Have you tried sending pc audio to your system?

Latest posts

Back