SL3 LED Mod/Update...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

Reaction score
I absolutely love my mint, all original SL3's, built in Jan of 1998.

With that said, I'm thinking of "freshening up" the looks of them a little by changing out the original red LED's. What I need to know is...

1) What voltage is running to that LED, 12 volts?
2) How easy is it to access that LED? Can it be pulled out from the front or do I need to remove the rear panel to get to it?

I've downloaded the SL3 schematic, and it shows both the power supply circuit and crossover network, but it doesn't mention anything about the voltage going to the LED.

Many thanks in advance!

Just a guess, but I think the LED is 12v.

To access all that, yes you have to remove the back panel, as that's where the crossover and power supply are. The leads to the lead go onto a circuit board mounted to the panel.

Replacement should be pretty simple.

While your inside the box, see my post in the "tweaks" section (top of Page 3) to do something meaningful to improve the performance of your speaker.

Last edited:
I don't know the supply voltage but there seems to be a 6k8 series resistor in LED circuit. Different LED have different threshold voltages but I expect that pretty much any normal LED will be ok as long as polarity is correct while installing. Series resistor will affect current flow and thus brightness of the LED. Reverse connection will destroy the LED.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit

Back