Cocktail Audio X 40 ... Any thoughts and ideas?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x40.php

I am really considering this unit.. It seems to do a hell of a lot for the cost.. Running the new SABRE chip set and allowing you to burn your Vinyl to High Res seems like a huge bonus.. Its basically a all in one Server / Renderer / DAC ..Its Korean made and that scares me :eek: There is not much for reviews but it seems to damn good to be true..

Anyone have any experience with this or know someone who has dealt with them !

Chris,

You should purchase through Audio Advisor with the confidence that you can get a full money back guarantee within 30 days of purchase. In stock. Price $2K.

Gordon

Last edited:
Im looking as they are 2 hr drive away too.. Just would like some feedback. Korean made audio never made me real warm and fuzzy but they are the only one offering a device like this

Looks like it was first released in 2014, thus not really using the latest/greatest ESS Sabre DAC chips. Here's a review I found... http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/850-cocktail-audio-x40-music-server

Their website also lists an X50 model, but I didn't delve into the specs.

Might want to wait a bit and see if they release a version with one of the new audiophile ESS chips... http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/audiophile-dacs/

Yes, I have seen that review.. I was looking for first hand user's .. The Dac chip is a Sabre 9018 same one that Krell uses in their Vanguard and Connect (uses twin Sabre chips) which goes for $4500

Today's technology is yesterdays dinosaur in audio.. The x 50 is a striped down 30 and 40 with no phono and no Sabre chip

Last edited:
Hi. I have owned an X40 for over a year and really love it. I have posted reviews on Amazon and on Audiokarma. The device does everything I wanted and more and there really isn't anything like it. I have been honest in that I am not thrilled by the remote, but have managed to get used to it. Another negative is the long wait for the smartphone app they promised months ago. Everything else has exceeded my expectations. It's the only device I have that I can stream Reciva stations in the US. I've ripped about 5TB of files in FLAC format from both CDs and vinyl and play them (UPP) through my whole house system (Sonus connected to Control4). It is also a central component of my 2-ch system, which is anchored by a pair of bi-amped ML Prodigys.

Hi there. Does the USB act as an input on this? I noticed on the bAck 'USB host '. I'm just not sure what host means in this context.

Hi there. Does the USB act as an input on this? I noticed on the bAck 'USB host '. I'm just not sure what host means in this context.

Yes. You can opt to input through the USB. There are many options. I use the USB on the back for an extra external 4TB Hard drive. I have an internal 3TB, but the ripping process is so easy* with this thing I added backup and I can play off it or store on it. The USB on the front I sometimes insert a stick drive with music I recently downloaded on my laptop or, when managing database or editing ripped vinyl files, I insert a BT receiver stick for my wireless keyboard (Video out to a TV monitor helps as it is easier to read during this process). I use the digital optical on the back to plug in my Sennheiser wireless headphone receiver. Novafidelity (the parent company) puts out some great how to videos periodically on Youtube that help when getting started as the user manual is thick.

*For ripping, you basically insert the CD, select where you want to download the artwork (e.g. Google, Amazon, etc), and the file type you want (Flac, etc., - preferred resolution settings adjustable in settings) and hit enter.

Last edited:
Yes. You can opt to input through the USB. There are many options. I use the USB on the back for an extra external 4TB Hard drive. I have an internal 3TB, but the ripping process is so easy* with this thing I added backup and I can play off it or store on it. The USB on the front I sometimes insert a stick drive with music I recently downloaded on my laptop or, when managing database or editing ripped vinyl files, I insert a BT receiver stick for my wireless keyboard (Video out to a TV monitor helps as it is easier to read during this process). I use the digital optical on the back to plug in my Sennheiser wireless headphone receiver. Novafidelity (the parent company) puts out some great how to videos periodically on Youtube that help when getting started as the user manual is thick.

*For ripping, you basically insert the CD, select where you want to download the artwork (e.g. Google, Amazon, etc), and the file type you want (Flac, etc., - preferred resolution settings adjustable in settings) and hit enter.

Well - interesting... It reminds me a bit of the sony product in that it essentially acts like a storage device as well as a DAC... This one has the analog inputs as well... not sure if the Sony does....

Right now - I just use my laptop w jriver and use usb into my DAC.... I like that setup.... Would be interested in the product's DAC... and sound of it... vs other products.... I just have a tendency to lean towards putting my $$$ towards a good sounding DAC vs something that needs to store/rip/be the DAC etc.... I have a DirectStream ..... pricey - but I got a great screaming deal brand new..... and they continually upgrade the Directstream free of charge... so it doesn't become obsolete.... yet..... :)

Well - interesting... It reminds me a bit of the sony product in that it essentially acts like a storage device as well as a DAC... This one has the analog inputs as well... not sure if the Sony does....

Right now - I just use my laptop w jriver and use usb into my DAC.... I like that setup.... Would be interested in the product's DAC... and sound of it... vs other products.... I just have a tendency to lean towards putting my $$$ towards a good sounding DAC vs something that needs to store/rip/be the DAC etc.... I have a DirectStream ..... pricey - but I got a great screaming deal brand new..... and they continually upgrade the Directstream free of charge... so it doesn't become obsolete.... yet..... :)

The X40 was the only one I could find that had analog inputs and I searched as it was important to me for what I was doing (digitizing my entire collection of different media: vinyl, CD, cassette, Reel tapes). Balanced connections were important as well as my amp is set up for this. I had a fairly expensive dedicated DAC that I thought sounded great until I put it up against the X40. I use a separate phono amp (from ARC) so I cannot comment on the integrated phono input. While it resides in my 2-ch system, I really wasn't expecting was how easy it was to integrate the X40 into my whole house system (Control4) via a Sonus so all my ripped files are easily accessible anywhere. So for me, an all-in-one device (streaming, ripping, storing, fm, processing, etc.) really works. The DAC is on a card so it would be fairly easy for them to provide upgrades (none yet however).

albeit a neat All in one device, I could not bring my self to go with it.. Korean Made was a big issue for me. Lack of trust if issues do arise.. These digital units are like laptops and can and do freeze up.. I did get a new setup and will post it in a thread.. Thanks for the feedback

albeit a neat All in one device, I could not bring my self to go with it.. Korean Made was a big issue for me. Lack of trust if issues do arise.. These digital units are like laptops and can and do freeze up.. I did get a new setup and will post it in a thread.. Thanks for the feedback

You buy from a US distributor and they support and warranty it, just like if you bought a Samsung tablet, an LG TV, a Hyundai sedan, or any other Korean made product. The parent company is actually in the UK. I can say it's been 2 years and I haven't had any issues. I have experienced a freeze up once, simply rebooted and it went away, just like you reboot your computer. It was likely a rare software glitch, and they issue new firmware every few months as these are discovered (they upload at the press of a button). I would check where your new setup is manufactured if you have concerns. Even the established top brands now make stuff in China where quality control and raw materials are poor.

Its amazing as both Aurender and Cocktail are Korean and front runners in these all in one streamers.. I ended up making a package deal on a Krell Connect. Made in the USA ..Krell and I have had a great relationship.. Its another blind decision based on past ownership..Now Im looking for a good NAS

Love the Prodigy's! I almost baught them but room size dictated the Odyssey..

Latest posts

Back