New member from SC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnau

Reaction score
Hi, I'm John a new member from Charleston, SC. I recently purchased a lightly used pair of Montis as a first step to a new system. I love music but pretty new to the hifi world. I'm looking forward to doing some research and picking some of your more experienced brains as I get a new system set up. I'm currently just using a Pioneer Elite AVR to power them, and quickly learning that i will need to upgrade to a better amp. The Montis are now part of a modest home theater, but I'm mostly concerned with getting the best 2 channel music system set up that I can.

John, welcome and congrats on the Montis, one very fine seeker for sure !

You will find plenty of good advice here to help spend your money on your upgrade path to sonic bliss !

Hi John, another great place to pick some minds is AudiogoN (audiogon.com). The Forums are very active and there are a lot of people with a great deal of experience who participate. Some helped me solve some pretty onerous tech problems. Their market place for used equipment is very good. I've made some great buys.

Alan

thanks for the warm welcome all. M15, i'm going to be upgrading things in phases, power amp first i think makes the most sense. i'm thinking if i go with a used amp from somewhere like audiogon, i'm hoping i can get something under $4,000. I'm a little concerned about the size and heat generated by some of the big class A amps, although those seem to be the ones that have the power and conform to ML's recommendation of doubling power when halving resistance.

John,

Plenty of options @ 4k for amplification , both class A and A/B, both of which will serve your Montis speakers well.

I have a Plinius SA-102 , which can be had (when one pops up) for around 3k. A killer amp that run A/B or fully biased into class A operation

Last edited:
Another amplification option and at the 4K price point.

Montis has at 20 kHz impedance of 0.52 ohms. Specification data from ML website.

Therefore, in my opinion, a suitable main amp for them would be Sanders ESL Mark 2.

This amp is designed to drive such extremely low impedance ( 0.52 ohm ).

This amplifier new is priced at $4500. However Mr. Roger Sanders offers a $500 discount to MLO members.

Hope you are able to get this great amp for $ 4000.

To further sweeten the deal Mr. Sanders offer includes a home test period lasting a month.

No harm in trying out this great amplifier. If you are not satisfied you may return inside of specified time period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for an amp that DOUBLE downs and you will get control like no other ! Panels like current :guiness:

thanks guys. Sanders amps look interesting, anyone here own one and can compare to some other suitable candidates, Pass, Krell, Levinson, Bryston, etc?

thanks guys. Sanders amps look interesting, anyone here own one and can compare to some other suitable candidates, Pass, Krell, Levinson, Bryston, etc?

I have not listened to a Sanders amp or Bryston amp. Have read good things about both makers of electronics.

I have heard Pass, Krell and Levinson amplifiers. Of the above three, with ML, I have listened to Krell only.

Class A amplifiers by Pass, Krell and Levinson sound very good for among other reasons they operate Class A.

At price point of 4K may be not possible to buy new Class A Pass, Krell or Levinson amps.

May be possible to buy sparingly or carefully used Class A Pass or Krell or Plinius amp.

Buying second hand involves risk of ending up with a lemon unless you know the seller took good care of electronics.

My conclusion is class A amplifiers by well known manufacturers such as Pass, Krell or Plinius sound far better than Class AB amplifiers manufactured by not so well known corporations.

The above is my own understanding based on listening and reading. May not be objectively accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another amplification option and at the 4K price point.

Montis has at 20 kHz impedance of 0.52 ohms. Specification data from ML website.

Therefore, in my opinion, a suitable main amp for them would be Sanders ESL Mark 2.

This amp is designed to drive such extremely low impedance ( 0.52 ohm ).

This amplifier new is priced at $4500. However Mr. Roger Sanders offers a $500 discount to MLO members.

Hope you are able to get this great amp for $ 4000.

To further sweeten the deal Mr. Sanders offer includes a home test period lasting a month.

No harm in trying out this great amplifier. If you are not satisfied you may return inside of specified time period.

Welcome John,
I second this recommendation! I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Sanders amp, and while you're on the phone with him ask about his speaker cables, the man knows what makes ESL's tick, and how to get the most out of the amp/speaker interaction. Many here like the big Pass Labs, others MacIntosh, etc...etc...I love my uber rare Bruiser SAE, alas, it was not designed for the big ML's. Seriously look at the Sanders, Craig

Back