Subwoofer cable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
What is the best diy cable I can use to make 30' runs of sub/woofer cable? Or should I purchase cables? I'm presently using 75ohm cable runs for my subs! Thanks

For any long RCA interconnect cables, chose a coax with a heavy braided shield. The Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 is a very good example. For this purpose there are some very good 75 Ohm cables (heck most coax cables are 75 Ohm, it cost more to manufacture other impedances) and some very poor 75 Ohm cables. The quad-shielded one on the cable TV truck may be the worst.

The 75 ohm cable refers to it's impedance at RF frequencies, has NO bearing on it's response at subwoofer frequencies. A good shield is helpful to reduce hum pickup over it's run...that IS important at subwoofer frequencies.
A better bet would be balanced cable, preferably shielded (microphone cables are frequently like this), if the electronics and speaker support it. Any hum it does pick up is common mode, which means it picks up the same signal on BOTH signal wires. The sub signal is differential mode, which is the difference in signal between the two wires. The way it works means the common mode signals have little effect on the desired differential mode signal, i.e. even if it picks up lots of common mode hum, it doesn't effect the differential audio signal...that's why it is nearly universally used in studio microphone wiring.

Back