Question about trouble with CLSIIz panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvvinyl

Reaction score
My one CLSIIz panel, the black wiring is arcing or pulsing blue light when there are deep bass notes,
which causes the speaker to pop. I have looked at the wire but cannot find anything wrong with it! I put some new capstan tape around the solder end of the wire and the wire itself at the panel end. It helped a little, but it still does it. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Last edited:
Is the solder joint on the panel loose ? Tape will not hold it seamless tight to the stator..Check the whole panel front to back for any thing in the perforations.. Withholding the Electronics being good then your looking at $2875 to get new panels..

Hola. The arc happens due to an excess of power to the speakers. When the panels are weak, this happens too. Bring the level a little bit down to see if the arcing is reduce. I do remember that the arc sounds like a shot. I had all the CLSs models, and had that problem too.

Try to shower the panels to restore some sensibility. But if this does not work, bad news for you. Stat panels must be replaced. All ML are about the same. Here is a link where shows to you, how to shower them.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?604-Martin-Logan-Shower-Cleaning-PDF

Yes I saw this the other day. Thank you. I have already contacted the gentleman and he still does repair on Martin Logan panels. The price is now $750.00. I will probably send them to him in January, but for now I was trying to see if I can fix the problem before I have to redo both the panels. These panels were never used. They stayed in a box in their plastic bag for 12 years. I thought I would have no problems with them. I guess they can deteriorate just by sitting.

thoroughly wash them well first.. check all seams for tape stress release also use a flashlight and inspect the perfs.. age deteriorates them sitting or playing.. DO NOT discount a low output transformer either.. Its a 30 plus year old speaker..

Last edited:
Washing the panel has seemed to help! I really appreciate everyone's input! I'm definitely going to have them redone though in January. I'm just glad they'll get me there now.

Back