Stage X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
Will I notice a difference in sound between my stage center speaker and the stage x? I can get a new stage x for just under $2200 after tax. My front speakers are the clx and the surround are motif. McIntosh amps 601 for the clx and McIntosh amp 303 for the center and surrounds. Opinions please

Will I notice a difference in sound between my stage center speaker and the stage x? I can get a new stage x for just under $2200 after tax. My front speakers are the clx and the surround are motif. McIntosh amps 601 for the clx and McIntosh amp 303 for the center and surrounds. Opinions please

After reading specifications of both Stage and Stage X, I found only 2 differences between the two.

Stage uses neodymium soft dome tweeter and impedance varies from 2.9 ohm to 4 ohm.

Stage X employs folded motion tweeter and according to specs. impedance is constant 4 ohms.

For both crossover to tweeter is 2.7 kHz.

If the Stage does not have any malfunction issues do not change to newer model for difference, is my opinion, will only be minimal. Spend the $2200 on better interconnects or speaker wire.

In a multichannel system with CLX and 601 I doubt there will be much audible difference employing Stage X over Stage.

The above is only my subjective opinion. Please wait for a second opinion.

Have fun listening to music on your great CLX and great Mac 601 system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola. I do find a lot of difference for good using the folded motion tweeter. If you do a comparison between them, the folded motion has a diaphragm with a size of about 8 inches, and this diaphragm weights less than the one inch dome tweeter that is on the Stage. It offers less distortion, and it blends better with the stat panel. Its time aligned too. The dispersion and the dialog of the movies its better and also the harmonic texture of the instruments and voices. I had both, and I do believe that the Stage X is the way to go with your CLXs. I am a Stage X and CLX user too.

Happy listening!

Thank you both. I have not yet decided. I have spent a fortune on my system. Cables alone probably $20,000 or more. I need to put a stop at some point. Martin Logan is coming out with two new center speakers, that cannot fit in my room. I believe I have read everything there is to read between the Stage and Stage X. Talked to Martin Logan and other suppliers. At the age of 67 the ears loose some of the high frequencies from what I have been told compared to some one in their 20's. I am not sure that I would be able to tell the difference. I would probably have to re-tune the room.

roberto,

This guy has a Stage already in his house.

Are you saying that it is worth to pay for a brand new Stage X ($2200.00) when he has a Stage in his system already????

Is it really worth it to pay $2200.00 to replace Stage with a Stage X???

C'mon roberto. Not even you can be that cold hearted. is the sound difference worth $2200.00????

And your best advice is to go for it??? just because you paid for it???

Last edited:
roberto,

This guy has a Stage already in his house.

Are you saying that it is worth to pay for a brand new Stage X ($2200.00) when he has a Stage in his system already????

Is it really worth it to pay $2200.00 to replace Stage with a Stage X???

C'mon roberto. Not even you can be that cold hearted. is the sound difference worth $2200.00????

And your best advice is to go for it??? just because you paid for it???

I think this is a matter of what you perceive to be important?? Looks like Ronny spent 20g on cables..... I am not disparaging Ron in any way.... I think it is awesome that people can spend the jack on their systems.... and are passionate about it.... I think if you take it all in context - wouldn't you agree that the 2200 might be better than a cable tweak? I'm just sayin.....

One more thought on this Ron.... You have obviously spent some dough on your system.... I would think - somewhere - you have a very happy dealer...... I would really ask them to see if you can throw it in there for a test drive... They would be stupid to not let you do it....

Last edited:
I think this is a matter of what you perceive to be important?? Looks like Ronny spent 20g on cables..... I am not disparaging Ron in any way.... I think it is awesome that people can spend the jack on their systems.... and are passionate about it.... I think if you take it all in context - wouldn't you agree that the 2200 might be better than a cable tweak? I'm just sayin.....

One more thought on this Ron.... You have obviously spent some dough on your system.... I would think - somewhere - you have a very happy dealer...... I would really ask them to see if you can throw it in there for a test drive... They would be stupid to not let you do it....

My dealer no longer carries the Martin Logan Line. The other dealer does not have them in stock. I would have to purchase the Stage X and then he would have to place an order with Martin Logan. Only so many left. I think I will pass. It is hard to sell used equipment. Thanks for everyones response.

Back