I love "barn finds" so to speak...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I wrote a post not long ago about my first "barn find", a brand spanking new in the box set of Odysseys....unbelievable:rocker:

So, I have been looking for a good high quality used two channel amp to run the odysseys for two channel listening...budget around $2k. While I'm pondering on a couple of Krells, a Proceed Amp2, older Levinson...etc., the Sunfire Cinema Grand that I bought new in 1996 craps out. I was hoping to use it for surround duties and allow me to upgrade for two channel first, then address the surround amp later. Total change in direction...

Ok, so with the same $2k budget I have to find a good quality 5 channel amp. I don't want to have to upgrade it after I add my more high-end two channel amp later. I start looking at Emotiva, of course. And also, used Sunfires because I really love their power, headroom, and sweetness of the current source output on the panels. Since it may be awhile before I can add another two channel amp, I have to keep that in mind.

Long-story-short, I find a listing on A-gon for a Sunfire Signature 5 channel amp that is "new and unused" never sold old stock for $1795. I'm always skeptical of these things, but I know that they do exist. Offer $1400+shipping, he accepts and I wait. I receive the amp take it out of the box and it is pristine. I do the smell test of the electronics, brand new. I asked the seller if it has been broke in, it has not. Wow! This thing sounds excellent, and double the power of my old amp..405/810/1620.

I am still going to buy a high-end two channel amp later, but this will allow me to put together more funds than I had to begin with and have some really nice power to play with until then...

Thanks for reading...

Dan

Dan, congrats on that find! That's a good price for a NOS unit.

I also have a Sunfire CG Signature and it does great with the ML's, it can even direct-drive the panels (no passive crossover). I hope you enjoy yours!

Keep an eye out for used Sanders or Coda amps, they drive the ML's way better than many other boutique brands.

Thanks, Jonathan. I had a full Sunfire / ML system before (see my system) with a 400~7 signature running my old ReQuests. Unfortunately, had to sell it all during some hard times. Now trying to put another system together along the lines of the one I had before, only want a better front end for two-channel. Have heard really good things about the Sanders and Coda amps but never had the chance to hear them, much less hear them on Martin Logans.

It was just really nice to see the stat panels moving with good power, again.

Thanks! Dan

Well, I wrote a post not long ago about my first "barn find", a brand spanking new in the box set of Odysseys....unbelievable:rocker:

I only ever hear about this stuff! When will it be my turn to make a find like that?

Krell KSA 100s is what I am running and its amazing.,. They are quite efficient.. BARN find ! temperature controlled climate?

Wink. This is exactly what I have. Are you biamping using 4 of the 5 channels?? This is what I do. Current on panels. Voltage on bass

Dan, that is definitely 'cool beans' ! ..... congrats !

here's a pic of my recent 'barn find' ..........

IMG_0301.jpg

Wink. This is exactly what I have. Are you biamping using 4 of the 5 channels?? This is what I do. Current on panels. Voltage on bass
Timm, I am bi-amping but using the split channel of the left and right channel. Current to the panel and voltage to the woofers. I'm going to go to a 7.1 or .2 with a dedicated two channel amp for the front channels. Although, the Sunfire's current source sounds pretty sweet on the panels.

Dan

thanks Dan, nope, it's a '67 BB (427)

IIRC, you could only get that 'stinger hood' and those side pipes from the factory in '67, if it had original wheels, they would have spinner hubs (outlawed in the US after '67).

Keeping on topic, You need a road trip, come see wink in Phoenix, then drive down to Tucson and it's in the mid 70'sF :devil:, you might want to bring some golf shorts Dave!!
Wink you are a lucky guy!! Awesome finds sir!!

Craig in Tucson

IIRC, you could only get that 'stinger hood' and those side pipes from the factory in '67, if it had original wheels, they would have spinner hubs (outlawed in the US after '67).

Actually Craig, knockoffs were discontinued after the '66 model year, in '67 they were actually a bolt on under the center cap

Keeping on topic, You need a road trip, come see wink in Phoenix, then drive down to Tucson and it's in the mid 70'sF :devil:, you might want to bring some golf shorts Dave!!

LOL, not in that beast .......3.70 gears, 8mpg at best and remember it's a BB and NO AC !

Wink you are a lucky guy!! Awesome finds sir!!

agreed !! ..............again !

If you plan a road trip down this way you might want to wait for springtime. It may be Arizona but these are the cold months..Tucson had hard freeze warnings last night and we are in the low 40's. Not too pleasant for a golf shirt. Haha!

Dan

If you plan a road trip down this way you might want to wait for springtime. It may be Arizona but these are the cold months..Tucson had hard freeze warnings last night and we are in the low 40's. Not too pleasant for a golf shirt. Haha!

Dan

LOL Dan, I'm from Buffalo ......... what would you like to know about winter !

Haha! I'm from Ohio, been here 11 years and never been back. I spent 8 years in North and South Dakota working the flight line in the USAF, where we didn't stop working until it hit 55deg below zero, wind chill. Which we hit regularly in the winter. Now, anything below 60 degrees and I'm complaining... lol!

Stay warm!
Dan

Back