ML Dilemma

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogorman

Reaction score
I have a pair of ML walnut CLS IIz that I have enjoyed for 25 years. I just sent them to ML HQ for an electronics problem that they have resolved. I find myself at that decision point: should I replace the existing screens that are still functional to give them a new lease on life, or sell them now to experiment with a newer model? Does anyone know what a pair of CLS IIz are going for now? Will I get the difference back if I put brand new screens in?

Hello nogorman! Welcome to MLO forums! How much money are we talking about to replace the panels? The CLS IIz's have quite a following, you have enjoyed them for over 2 decades, that speaks volumes.

I personally don't care for having the bass produced by electrostatic panels, the bass from my Summit's is just tolerable IMHO. Used Summit's go for around $5,000, add another $1,000 or 2 for the X's, $15,000+ for the new bad boys, ain't this fun?!?

I'm very interested in what you decide...

If you have the right room for them and they are not buzzing or down in DB on each panel. Your gonna have to spend better than 5 to 8k to best them.. They have a sound you either love or cant figure out.. I had mine for a while and panels went out. At that time they went through the roof $2900 IIRC is replacement cost.. That is a lot of ones for perforated steel and Mylar .. Going rate for used ones range from what I have seen on the streets is between $800 to $2500 the later being on the high side with replacement panels.. Average is $1200 to $1500 ..

If you intend on keeping them, I would get the new panels without a doubt. If you think you might sell them in the next few years, then you will not recoup the cost.

I'd think of it this way, the new Neolith at 80K is basically a CLZIIz with some serious bass. Could I live with a less bass but similar everything else for 3K? Absolutely.

THE NEOLITH is nothing of the likes of a CLS.. The CLS is a tri panel design that has much older technology.. The CLS is good but not a tenth of the Neolith.. Its a good speaker that has its limitations.. Older spars and perforations.. NEW panels are the same and NOT micro perf or clear spar as they were never designed for that

You are not gona get Neolith performance with a 30 year old speaker ! ..

THE NEOLITH is nothing of the likes of a CLS.. The CLS is a tri panel design that has much older technology.. The CLS is good but not a tenth of the Neolith.. Its a good speaker that has its limitations.. Older spars and perforations.. NEW panels are the same and NOT micro perf or clear spar as they were never designed for that

You are not gona get Neolith performance with a 30 year old speaker ! ..

Tri panel design?? What do you mean by this, CAP? CLS is a single panel.

I wasn't trying to say the CLS was a Neolith, just more along the lines of the panel size, and I thought if he bought new panels, he would get the updated micro-perf panels. I guess I was misinformed buy this forum which stated that or I made it up in my head.

I understand that below 400HZ with the 12" and 15" woofers there is no comparison but what makes the above 400HZ that much different?

I'm not trying to champion the CLS, I guess I'm trying to understand how a ML speaker with a 48" panel was 6K just a few years ago, and now you take the same size but updated panel, add some serious woofer/subwoofers to it and now it's 80K.

The other point I was trying to make for the OP was 3K for new panels was a pretty good bargain, unless he's willing to spend 3-4 times that.

3K right now gets you a pair of EM-ESLs, I would happily trade mine for a factory refreshed pair of CLSIIz.

The tri panel design is one panel with 3 sections . The middle horizontal spars are the mid range and highs.. The 6 inch side panels are actually separated by the stators bends and sealed BLACK spars ..There is also a clear Mylar strip to tame the buzz thats there as a large 6 inch by 48 inch section tends to buzz.. The CLS IIz tried to solve this buzz with a shifted mid section and smaller mid bass on the one side and a tad larger on the other.. Its ONE piece of Mylar segmented into 3 areas.. The NEOLITH is just HORIZONTAL spars.. If you have not seen the CLS first hand and INSPECTED how its made then you would not know !

The Monolith is closest to the NEOLITH .. Hence the NAMESAKE.. ITH!

For $3k I would look at newer technology but run the hell out of them untill they die ! Then sell them for a small profit

No they don't have the bass, so I have an HSU subwoofer that complements them quite nicely.
I'll keep you posted on my decision.....

CLS pretty much fall off the cliff at 40 hz .. But its a damn good 40 hz when you have the right amp and room

I have a pair of ML walnut CLS IIz that I have enjoyed for 25 years. I just sent them to ML HQ for an electronics problem that they have resolved. I find myself at that decision point: should I replace the existing screens that are still functional to give them a new lease on life, or sell them now to experiment with a newer model? Does anyone know what a pair of CLS IIz are going for now? Will I get the difference back if I put brand new screens in?

Here is a possible option for you to consider.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14297-Old-panels-now-performing-as-new-again

Back