Bryston 4B-ST

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Bryston
4B-ST
MSRP $2450
Used: ~$1100 (depending on condition, pro/home, mounting plate size, and age/remaining warranty)
250WPC RMS @ 8 Ohms, 400WPC @ 4 Ohms, 800 Bridged @ 8 Ohms
SoundStage Review: CLICKY

Bryston+4Bst.jpg

I'm surprised that nobody has added this amp to the list. While not considered by many to be in the rarified air of top-tier high-end amps such as Jadis, Pass or Krell, my experience has been entirely positive. I first noticed a substantial improvement when this amp replaced an SAE A202 which was powering my Dahlquist DQ10's. There was an obvious improvement in holography and tonality. Instruments are more 'articulate', staging became both higher and deeper.

And then came the reQuests to replace the Dahlquists. I ran 'em both just to experiment a bit, and can say for an absolute certainty that the Bryston never skipped a beat on either of these very demanding loads. One thing about the Bryston line is that they're quite 'transparent' and any shortcomings you have elsewhere in the chain are revealed. That's why I went from a McIntosh C28 Preamp to a Krell KRC-3.

If you're looking for an amp that won't run out of steam, without having to donate a kidney, the 4B-ST is a bargain.

Hammerhead,

I second your 4B ST recommendation on ML ESLs or for that matter any speaker out there. The amplifier is absolutely revealing and bullet proof, have had mine for over 15 years powering Martin Logan speakers. If fact Martin Logan use Bryston amps as reference amplifiers in speaker development phases. Also note using the Bryston BP25 preamp, with balanced XLRs between preamp and amp, bit acquired at same time. In the years hence, no other hi-end brand has been able to top them, some equal at more than twice or more multiples of the cost.

After a good deal of researching and auditioning, looking to add the Bryston BDA-3 DAC. The entire combination works so well that, it is very difficult for others (KRELL, Chord, Mark Levinson, Cary, etc.) to top. Very satisfied listener, not too mention the time and dollars saved not playing the "product of the month club". Happy listening.

And the lexicon rebranded models as well. I've got a Lexicon 312 for my Montis and StageX and a 212 for the EFX in back. Love them.

I finally integrated my ML Quest into a home theater set up with biamped Quests (replaced esl panels) using a Bryston 3b for stators and Marantz receiver for woofers and SVS PC2000 sub. Using ML Cinema center. I am using Emotiva surrounds and, although I would have preferred ML, they seem to integrate well. I likey! I historically preferred the unadulterated ML sound two channel but I now enjoy playing with the various choices and think I prefer the DTS option best for music and theater.
Just thought readers might like to know that Bryston amps sound good with ML to me and my Bryston is about 30 years old and had to go back once for repairs. Also, the SVS integrates well but I set the crossover at 50 as it sounded muddy and bloated when set at other crossovers, even using the audessey correction with the Marantz. Also the Emotiva have a folded ribbon tweeter that seems to integrated reasonably well, although, again I would have prefered to stick with Martin Logan all around.

I own both a 4B-ST and a 4B-SST2, and they certainly sound different from each other! While the SST2 is smoother and more refined sounding in the mids & highs, the older ST has a punchy liveliness to it that I think sounds better with my SL3's. It really depends on your speakers, which one you'd like better. If your speakers are a bit bright, then the smoother sounding SST2 would be the better choice. I'm glad to have both!

My amplifier journey with the SL3 1998 to present-
CJ MF 2500 , Classe Cam 350,
VTL MB 250 (Triode only 250 watts) (CJ Premier 16LS pre) 2007-present Recommend giving big power triodes a consideration with the SL3 plus they rock just fine for me.
As noted, the SL3's reveal all the nuances in the chain and the challenge is finding yours. Happy hunting!

I've been using a 4B-SST with my pair of Prodigies. Sounds great to me and bulletproof. In about 10 years of ownership and playing it loud it has never once gone into clipping or thermal shutdown.

Glad to see some Bryston fans here. I'm thinking about getting new amps, and was surprised that Bryston hadn't at least shown up on the list of amps I should consider... :unsure:

Glad to see some Bryston fans here. I'm thinking about getting new amps, and was surprised that Bryston hadn't at least shown up on the list of amps I should consider... :unsure:

You can also safely buy used Bryston amps as they come with a 20-year transferable warranty. It's based on date of manufacture so you don't even need any paperwork.

https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

Another comment about my 4B-ST..... about 5 years ago, I had noise creeping into one channel, and noticed one side of the amp running much hotter than the other. I sent it to Bryston for their reconditioning service, which at the time was $600 (plus shipping of course). It included ALL NEW CAPS, and fixing my problem if it was a minor issue. This was a great deal, and my amp sounds possibly better than new, with quality caps that are 25 years newer than the originals. I don't know what Bryston's current price is for this service, but I highly recommend it. I bought this 4B-ST used in 2000 and it's been great. It's still my favorite all-around amp for my SL3's and my B&W 801-S2's.

Hola Chicos,

I have being using Bryston brand since the 80s. At that time I had the Timpany 3B by Magneplanar, a model that needed two power amps. The bass section was driven by one 4B and the mids and the highs was driven by a 3B, later on, I finally got another 4B. These beasts power amps, drove the Magneplanar as good as any other SS power amp. I hate comparisons but I had on hand my good hi-end brands like Classe, Forte, Carver (Sunfire), Mark Levinson, Krell, etc...all these brands were fighting to have a good place into the market. And even today, the 4B is one of the best power amplifiers SS available, regardless of price.

It's sound is robust at the bass, clean, transparent with great definition and wide stage. This amp has guts! I never had an issue with them. On each 4B, there are two separated power supplies, the only thing in common is the power cord. It's like having mono blocks on one chassis.

Bryston is a fantastic, well built product that shines in the SS design and operation. One of the best available. Great construction and easy to use.

Happy listening!

A Bryston amp is never a bad investment. They hold their value and are very easy to resell (in the unlikely event that you change your mind). Prices have actually gone up recently due to the rising cost of aluminum in Canada. I have 7BSST2 monoblocks (yes overkill).

Audiophiles used to skoff at them for sounding ruthlessly bright, etc. I think they are better described as lively and good at waking up older ML panels. These days we have much better source components and what we used to think was "bright" now comes across as "purity".

I used Brston for both my TV room ( 3 center channels) powering my Montis and ML center channel and my living room 2 channel for my vintage original B&W 801s.

they have worked very well over the years.

I'm personally not familiar with the brand, other than what I've read here and on other forums. However, I was intrigued by the trade-in, trade-up offer I read yesterday in my Audio Advisor catalog received in the mail. Yes, I still get these even though I haven't purchased from them in years! If any of you are interested in this I would advise you contact Audio Advisor as the offer only runs through Sep 30. It appears to only apply to older 4B series amps.

I'm personally not familiar with the brand, other than what I've read here and on other forums. However, I was intrigued by the trade-in, trade-up offer I read yesterday in my Audio Advisor catalog received in the mail. Yes, I still get these even though I haven't purchased from them in years! If any of you are interested in this I would advise you contact Audio Advisor as the offer only runs through Sep 30. It appears to only apply to older 4B series amps.

Here's the info:

https://bryston.com/trade-up/
Don't think it's really worthwhile as you can probably get a better deal selling your existing Bryston amp.

Hola Robert. Try ebay, there are some 4Bs used in good conditions. Here is one of them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRYSTON-4B...637787?hash=item21764c60db:g:tZ8AAOSwOF9fUQEZ
Happy listening!
Im just curious about what Bryston is doing with the trade ins. Im assuming they must just let the dealer sell them, but wondering what kind of money transfer happens. Perhaps the dealer gets to keep the commission on the sale and they return the rest of the proceeds from the sale back to Bryston.

Its certainly a good deal for the buyer since the warranty apparently transfers to the new owner. I heard that on here, and it surprises me. Im not in the market for a new stereo amp but am just curious about how they are working this deal.

Powering my Theos with a Lexicon 225 (Bryston 4BST) and absolutely love the combo, two SVS SB3000's don't hurt either.

Latest posts

Back