Election: Who's the winner and when will it be called

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert, depending on where you are in NE Pa I'm in the Scranton area (manage a railroad there) at least twice a month. Great Italian restaurants and one of the best cigar bars around (the Big House on Green Ridge St) ..........I'll be there next wed night !
I'm in Milford, about 45 minutes. Let me see how this week looks. Thanks for the invite!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Given all this talk about cigars and "other" smokes, :eek: I'm surprised no conservatives have given Obama some credit for ending the Cuban embargo on the former and allowing an impressive number of States to legalize the latter (without federal intervention). If you lean libertarian and like to smoke whatever you want, things are looking up. Thanks, Obama.

I am big into allowing individual states being allowed to govern their own citizens without heavy federal intervention in almost all areas. We have 50 states that can be guinea pigs for what does and doesn't work. Other states can emulate the success of others or learn to avoid what they see isn't working. The more the federal government intervenes in the laws of the states, the more the states lose their own individual identities.

I think the one thing everyone agrees on is this ... when it comes to Trump, predicting what he will do is an exercise in futility. Frankly, I have given up trying to predict anything he will do. Instead, I am off to Reddit to read and digest all of Podesta's wikileaks emails :)

I think the one thing everyone agrees on is this ... when it comes to Trump, predicting what he will do is an exercise in futility. Frankly, I have given up trying to predict anything he will do. Instead, I am off to Reddit to read and digest all of Podesta's wikileaks emails :)

Some of that obviously stems from Trump not having concrete convictions. But I have thought all along that he might also be going by the instincts of having been a businessman for over 50 years. He's been a hardnosed salesman and negotiator for all those years, and it is what he knows best- not politics. When I meet with our advertisers every year, they throw on the table an outlandish number, and the dance begins. I throw out my own number which I know is way lower than they would ever accept, and we meet either meet at a comfortable level acceptable to both parties or they lose a client and I lose a method of advertising. I am not sure, but I suspect that it might be in Trump's nature to start off with the outlandish, with full acknowledgment that it's just a starting point for what will later be renegotiated. Maybe?

Just as an example, when Trump said he was going to build a tall beautiful wall, that might very well be what he would most want, but had in the back of his mind that he probably would not get. He may have known that buses shipping out millions of illegal immigrants was never going to occur as well. I sure did. But if he winds up having a much tougher immigration policy, perhaps ending sanctuary cities and building a wall where most feasible, as well as getting rid of the gang related criminal element that illegally resides in the country, I think the vast majority of his voters will be satisfied with that result. It's much better than keeping the status quo.

If you say promises shouldn't be made that are not meant to be kept, I would whole heartedly agree. But another person on this sight, I have to paraphrase his words, said something on the order of "telling the truth only matters if you don't want to win". Unfortunately, there is a lot of "truth" in that statement.

Some of that obviously stems from Trump not having concrete convictions. But I have thought all along that he might also be going by the instincts of having been a businessman for over 50 years. He's been a hardnosed salesman and negotiator for all those years, and it is what he knows best- not politics. When I meet with our advertisers every year, they throw on the table an outlandish number, and the dance begins. I throw out my own number which I know is way lower than they would ever accept, and we meet either meet at a comfortable level acceptable to both parties or they lose a client and I lose a method of advertising. I am not sure, but I suspect that it might be in Trump's nature to start off with the outlandish, with full acknowledgment that it's just a starting point for what will later be renegotiated. Maybe?

Just as an example, when Trump said he was going to build a tall beautiful wall, that might very well be what he would most want, but had in the back of his mind that he probably would not get. He may have known that buses shipping out millions of illegal immigrants was never going to occur as well. I sure did. But if he winds up having a much tougher immigration policy, perhaps ending sanctuary cities and building a wall where most feasible, as well as getting rid of the gang related criminal element that illegally resides in the country, I think the vast majority of his voters will be satisfied with that result. It's much better than keeping the status quo.

If you say promises shouldn't be made that are not meant to be kept, I would whole heartedly agree. But another person on this sight, I have to paraphrase his words, said something on the order of "telling the truth only matters if you don't want to win". Unfortunately, there is a lot of "truth" in that statement.
If any of the poli sci types wishes to analyze this election cycle and figure out how Trump did it, all they need do is read chapter 2 of the "Art of the Deal". It's been his gameplan, to a T ....... in particular, his first 5 points which focuses on him "thinking big" while keying on total focus, "maximizing his options" by remaining flexible in his approaches, "using leverage" by not appearing desperate, "getting the word out" by using main stream media and the internet and "fighting back" against those who are unfair to him.

Interestingly, now that he is in, I expect he'll follow suit and continue on with a focus on his final 3 points; "deliver the goods" and not con anyone anymore, "contain the costs" for those deliverables and "having fun" while playing the game and keeping score.

Frankly, I am very surprised more people haven't caught onto to this ..........

Pneumonic, I certainly did, and love him for it! Half of this country doesn't...very sad, they are going to pi$$ and moan until hell freezes over...sounds like a very long wait...instead of just bucking up and helping make things great again, they will continue to spout HATE! Check out this video of a black mother berating her 8 year old son, throwing him out of the house... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX3RWz-tK8g

F'n sick! Just one example of the idiots we have in the USA thinking they know everything when, in fact, they know very little, very SAD :(

Pathetic ........... it's the only word that comes to mind ......

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/1...ore-college-campuses-reel-from-trump-win.html

a 'cry in' ..... are you kidding me, what a bunch of pussies.
The political correctness phenomenon is beyond silly; it’s pathetic as you say. Our culture is responsible for developing a society of wimps who are taught to be self absorbed and narcissistic to the point that anytime their feelings are hurt, they identify as victims. God forbid anyone challenge them and make them feel bad about themselves.

Well- it's no wonder they are so upset, don't they at least get a trophy for having participated?

Wow. This is getting interesting.

I agree with Scumurculum regarding his "what if" HRC had won comment.

PS: And if DT does what he said he was going to do, many people are totally justified of feeling scared and paranoid. And why some people can't understand that reaction is even scarier. :cool:

Last edited:
Well- it's no wonder they are so upset, don't they at least get a trophy for having participated?

Kevin, LOL, I was thinking the same thing. So many of these 'Millennials' are truly just that ...... pathetic. But in reality one must blame their 'pathetic' parents first and foremost !

We are so far removed from this country's 'Greatest Generation' that I'm not sure we can ever be saved...........well ok, yes I am getting a wee bit dramatic but you get the drift !

Please tell me my friend what generation / time period is the "Greatest Generation"?

I'm guessing Post WW2.

I have noticed a lot of people, for example on this forum, that don't seem to like to acknowledge this because it would mean they have to acknowledge there may be elements in Trumps campaign that have justifiably frightened people.

I think that we need to be adults about this and behave, but Trump scares the crap out of me. However, I think it is a much better coping mechanism not to focus on that and keep my fingers crossed.

The conservatives survived Carter and Clinton and Obama. The liberals survived Nixon and Reagan and both Bush's. I'm pretty sure the sane people will survive Trump. I think people are so upset because it was so unexpected. Especially for the Millenials. They were sure Bernie was going to win the primary and were outraged when he didn't. Then they were just getting comfortable with the idea of Hillary becoming President, and BAM! They got Trumped.

I think people are so upset because it was so unexpected. Especially for the Millenials. They were sure Bernie was going to win the primary and were outraged when he didn't. Then they were just getting comfortable with the idea of Hillary becoming President, and BAM! They got Trumped.
This seemed to be a popular response given by Millennials to Clinton. ;-)

HRC Certificate_tn.jpg

Back