Receiver pairs best with ML SLM XL (LCR) ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a novice and would like to know what steps should be followed to install my home theater system.
Currently have Dynamo sub (discontinued model) and SLM XL (LCR)
or Dynamo 700w (future buy)

Is this receiver good enough?
http://www.costco.com/Yamaha-TSR-5810-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver.product.100313478.html

Your recommendation is highly appreciated.

I do not have first hand experience operating any kind of receiver. I do not like receivers. They may be packed with features. However in the most important area of amplification they are barely adequate most of them.

I would not recommend your chosen receiver because of its weak amplifier section. Some steps up or approx. 25% more watts is the Yamaha RX-A60. Is more expensive than TSR-581 however has a more powerful amplifier output stage.

Your chosen receiver matches almost 100% in terms of power output with the ML SLM XL speakers. Therefore, TSR-581 may also do the job reasonably well. However if you can afford the more expensive and also more powerful Aventage receiver you may be rewarded with somewhat better sound quality.

Conclusion:
Yamaha TSR-581 will be just enough cloth for a two piece suit without any cloth leftover to make a warmer three piece suit. Only based on specification data without crucial listening test I would say for the sale price and loudspeakers intend to drive, this receiver may be effective. I say may because you will only know for certain once you have listened to this receiver with SLM XL speakers.

Please get or wait for a second opinion.

Thanks for your input !

I do not have first hand experience operating any kind of receiver. I do not like receivers. They may be packed with features. However in the most important area of amplification they are barely adequate most of them.

I would not recommend your chosen receiver because of its weak amplifier section. Some steps up or approx. 25% more watts is the Yamaha RX-A60. Is more expensive than TSR-581 however has a more powerful amplifier output stage.

Your chosen receiver matches almost 100% in terms of power output with the ML SLM XL speakers. Therefore, TSR-581 may also do the job reasonably well. However if you can afford the more expensive and also more powerful Aventage receiver you may be rewarded with somewhat better sound quality.

Conclusion:
Yamaha TSR-581 will be just enough cloth for a two piece suit without any cloth leftover to make a warmer three piece suit. Only based on specification data without crucial listening test I would say for the sale price and loudspeakers intend to drive, this receiver may be effective. I say may because you will only know for certain once you have listened to this receiver with SLM XL speakers.

Please get or wait for a second opinion.

Back