Martin Logan Stealth Speakers + Anthem MRX 720?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoundPaul

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm building a 5.1.2 Atmos system (please see below link to my build thread) and I have a few questions. Hopefully you guys have experience with Martin Logan in-wall/ceiling speakers and Anthem AV receivers - as I want to know if the kit makes sense or if I'm missing something and need changes to the set-up:

My idea is the ML Stealth Axis for the front left and right, ML Stealth Edge for the Centre, ML EM R's for the rear left and right and ML Helos 22 in mono for the two Atmos channels above my head.

(sub will be an in-wall 13" Definitive Technologies IW Sub Reference + dedicated SubAmp 600)

My questions are as follows:

1) If I change the two ML Axis speakers (front left and right) for a pair of ML Edge, so the LCRs are all Edge - Does this give me a MUCH better sound, or will it be a small increase in audio quality? (my room isn't big so not sure it will make a large difference, it's 25x13 feet but that does also include a kitchen and dinning area, so cinema area is more like 12x13 - Again see my build thread for pics)

2) Is getting the ML Vanquish over ML EM R's for the rears an overkill?

3) Are all these speakers a good series match and sonically correct?

4) Which speakers are the best for the Atmos height channels? My current selection is two ML Helos 22s in Mono or should I get Helos 12s or even EM ICs (but they may be too directional)?

5) I'm looking to power all of these with an Anthem MRX720 - Would this be a very good match for the Edge, Axis and R's? I know the speakers are rated at 4 ohm but from the research, it should drive 4 ohm speakers fine. I could Also go with the Arcam AVR550 but I feel that the Anthem offering is better.

Any feedback or suggestions is great, especially if it save me money as I feel some things could be an over kill. ;)

Building a Home Cinema - New Build + Pics

Thanks,

I can't answer all your questions but I think for the system you are putting together:

2 - yes Vanquish is an overkill
4 - I think one of the electromotion Vs the Helos would be a better match

I'm surprised with my new setup just how much more info I hear now from the sides and the rear then I did before. I was also concerned that in my case the Vanquish would be overkill for the ATMOS but I'm really happy that I did. I also have dedicated amps for all these which I'm sure helps. I know with my old Pioneer SC05 the sides and rears sounded good but not nearly as good as they do now. I also would stay with the receiver that you mentioned for two reasons. 1 - the ARC is amazing it really does a great job. 2 - power over the 520

I can't answer all your questions but I think for the system you are putting together:

2 - yes Vanquish is an overkill
4 - I think one of the electromotion Vs the Helos would be a better match

I'm surprised with my new setup just how much more info I hear now from the sides and the rear then I did before. I was also concerned that in my case the Vanquish would be overkill for the ATMOS but I'm really happy that I did. I also have dedicated amps for all these which I'm sure helps. I know with my old Pioneer SC05 the sides and rears sounded good but not nearly as good as they do now. I also would stay with the receiver that you mentioned for two reasons. 1 - the ARC is amazing it really does a great job. 2 - power over the 520

Thanks for this - The thing is the EM could be too directional especially with the fact that the tweeter is angled towards listening position, do you think this is the case? Plus they are only Atmos channels so I don't think they carry much 'audio information', again I'm just assuming... but If I did go with the EMs should I go for the CIs instead of Rs, as I think the smaller 6" ones will be more then fine?

The Vanquish is also pointed in one direction also and I don't find it being an issue. Also you mention that the Atmos is over your head - it should be forward and then pointed toward the listening position. Also don't sell the Atmos speakers short there is quite a bit of sound that comes from them. I got a Atmos demo disc and its crazy how much and the frequency range that does come out. Yes it can be muted at times but when needed you need a speaker that has good range. To me the EM matches better the rest of your speaker choices I would go with it. Not sure if you are trying to save some money on the smaller speaker but I would not. Also I moved up on speaker wire to a good 14/2 and really felt like that helped also.

Back