Summit crackling noise on power down

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
One of my summits makes a noise like someone is wrinkling paper when powering down after the blue light goes out! I have swapped the panels and it follows the panel! Thanks

Hola Ken. Is the cracking coming from the panel? If it is, I assume that its coming from your amp, not from the Summits. If the cracking is coming from the woofer, then you have to track down. First, play some music to have the culprit Summit on. The power off the amplifier, and disconnect the speaker wire. Wait until the blue light goes off, and listen. If you have the cracking noise, could be from one digital amplifier that´s its built inside. This is a harmless problem. It bothers, but it looks like a discharging capacitor and its odd. Why the other speaker does not produce this odd sound? Because its an electronic thing...and their behavior could be different from one to other. If you want this to be fixed, then you must track the cracking.

One of my summits makes a noise like someone is wrinkling paper when powering down after the blue light goes out! I have swapped the panels and it follows the panel! Thanks

Are you saying you disconnected the panels - so each played on the others internals?.... and the sound followed the panel? That has got to be the panel if that is the case doesn't it Roberto?

Panels by itself can not produce any cracking. If you know how this is possible, please explain. The panel acts like a capacitor...there is no way, (because they are not receiving any bias voltage) , could cause a cracking sound. The bias voltage drops not immediately, it drops with a time delay. As an example, just disconnect your ML from the mains AC, and you will see that they still sing along with the music, for several minutes, until they do not produce any sound at all.

Last edited:
Panels by itself can not produce any cracking. If you know how this is possible, please explain. The panel acts like a capacitor...there is no way, (because they are not receiving any bias voltage) , could cause a cracking sound. The bias voltage drops not immediately, it drops with a time delay. As an example, just disconnect your ML from the mains AC, and you will see that they still sing along with the music, for several minutes, until they do not produce any sound at all.

Oh - I wasn't questioning your knowledge on the topic.... I am just interested if the OP - in fact disconnected the panels - and re-connected them to the other cabinet... that is what it sounded like he did.... but if not..... then he was just checking the channels of his amp.....

and yes - I know what you speak of in regards to disconnecting from the mains and having them 'sing along'.... :) I have made that mistake before after re-arranging something or other.

Tmm, my dear friend, my English language is very limited, please remember this!...my intention was not to be rude. If I sounded like it, please excuse me! I was very interested to know how a panel could be making a cracking noise when there is no bias voltage. The panel does reproduce funny noises, but these funny noises are located at a certain part of the panel, and usually the culprit is a debris making a small voltage arc. This is not the case with Ken. I do believe that his noise its coming from the digital power amp or his main power amplifier. Again, I do apologize for the missed interpretation, and I just wanted to learn how this was possible.

Tmm, my dear friend, my English language is very limited, please remember this!...my intention was not to be rude. If I sounded like it, please excuse me! I was very interested to know how a panel could be making a cracking noise when there is no bias voltage. The panel does reproduce funny noises, but these funny noises are located at a certain part of the panel, and usually the culprit is a debris making a small voltage arc. This is not the case with Ken. I do believe that his noise its coming from the digital power amp or his main power amplifier. Again, I do apologize for the missed interpretation, and I just wanted to learn how this was possible.

No worries Roberto. I did not think you were rude. We have known each other for years!! :). And I love Costa Rica!!

Latest posts

Back