System #517 (ReQuest)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Robert

Milford, PA (NE PA, Pike County)

• reQuest (Polk RM7600/PSW650 Subwoofer also)
  • Purchase: August this year from 1st owner who originally bought them from Harvey Electronics in 2000. Date code on panels is RSKI, indicating manufacture in September 1999; speakers were in storage for about 7 years.
  • No Mods. Yet. :banghead:
  • Equipment:
    • Bryston 4B-ST
    • Krell KRC-3
    • HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro
    • Panamax M4300PM
    • Cables: Acoustic Zen all around - Satori to speakers, Matrix Reference to Subwoofer, Matrix Reference XLR to amp, Matrix Reference 2 from DAC to Krell. Experimenting also with Silver Reference 1 and 2 between DAC and Krell to see what I like.

IMAG0357.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert, while I don't know your room it appears your request's are a little close together ?

Regardless, enjoy your music !

Robert, while I don't know your room it appears your request's are a little close together ?

Regardless, enjoy your music !

Dave, sorry it took so long reply. Things kinda "blew up" here the past couple weeks.

The problem that I have is a very small home and an unconventional floor plan. If you see the photo below (pay no mind to the 'redneck kitchen' undergoing renovation) the front wall is all of 10.5', and I have a vaulted ceiling. So there are some serious constraints. It seemed to me that when I separated the speakers, a "hole" developed in the soundstage. But I'm still experimenting, so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

IMAG0403.jpg

Last edited:
Robert, I understand your dilemma, perhaps you can give us a floor plan of your listening room.

As for the hole, yeah I can see that happening if you move your left speaker further left, it would then have the opening behind that the right speaker does not. That I would consider a no-no, especially for a di-pole.

Working on the floor plan now. In the meantime, I've moved the speakers farther apart, so there's 6 feet center-to-center, but shifted them closer to the front wall at a distance of 32" which helps the hole, but changes tonality. It's gonna be a long night. Good thing I stocked up on beer.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I really like the way horizontal line in the front panel of Bryston complement those of the speaker.
Also the contrast of dark tone of equipment stands out against the yellowish background.
I bet it sound good too :guitarman:

Robert, I understand your dilemma, perhaps you can give us a floor plan of your listening room.

As for the hole, yeah I can see that happening if you move your left speaker further left, it would then have the opening behind that the right speaker does not. That I would consider a no-no, especially for a di-pole.

See if this link shows up and functions properly. It's not exact, but as they say, "close enough for jazz".
http://www.homestyler.com/floorplan/?assetId=5ac4c593-6039-41fe-abe5-983f9850d65c

I've had a lot of trouble trying to depict the 1/2 wall around my kitchen with the 'lollicolum' at the corner and also the vaulted ceilings because it seems there's no provision for that sort of oddity in the software. But maybe this'll get us where we need to be.

Thanks!

Dave, here's another earlier shot showing my previous equipment, but it will help give a sense of the layout. Obviously in this shot, I move the furniture around a bit for a listening session, but I'm still struggling with positioning of the reQuests. Any recommendations you, or anyone else, can make on placement are appreciated.

DQ10.jpg

I'd be putting them on the opposite end of the room. Either side of the fireplace, at least 500mm away from either side wall, and 500-700 mm out from the back wall.
I don't have speaker cable long enough to put them on either side of the fireplace, and I have some concerns about having them by the sliding doors where they can be seen from the street (theft), and subject to too much sunlight (damage). They are presently about 32" (800mm) from the front wall.

I guess the question is, presuming they have to stay against the wall they're on, how to make the most of them given the limitations in terms of spacing (both between the speakers and distance from the wall) the vaulted ceiling, and perhaps any treatments (like reducing reflections, etc) that would be beneficial to compensate for the less than ideal circumstances.

Last edited:
I don't have speaker cable long enough to put them on either side of the fireplace, and I have some concerns about having them by the sliding doors where they can be seen from the street (theft), and subject to too much sunlight (damage). They are presently about 32" (800mm) from the front wall.

I guess the question is, presuming they have to stay against the wall they're on, how to make the most of them given the limitations in terms of spacing (both between the speakers and distance from the wall) the vaulted ceiling, and perhaps any treatments (like reducing reflections, etc) that would be beneficial to compensate for the less than ideal circumstances.

Speaker cable shortage is an easy fix. But sunlight is definitely not a good thing. Not sure of the aspect of your place, but surely the sunlight is only a problem for a short part of the day in either the morning or afternoon, when you can keep the blinds shut for that time?

Speaker cable shortage is an easy fix. But sunlight is definitely not a good thing. Not sure of the aspect of your place, but surely the sunlight is only a problem for a short part of the day in either the morning or afternoon, when you can keep the blinds shut for that time?
Let's focus on solutions to work with what I have, and where they are.

Thanks.

Robert, to that I see no 'solution' that I know I could live with.......sorry.
It's also difficult to suggest anything not knowing the dimensions of the room, and I can't figure out from the limited info if the Requests are now where the DQ10s were, or are they on the wall opposite to the fireplace; or am I missing something?

It's also difficult to suggest anything not knowing the dimensions of the room, and I can't figure out from the limited info if the Requests are now where the DQ10s were, or are they on the wall opposite to the fireplace; or am I missing something?

I hear you Bernard, I think either or is a no-win for anything approaching optimal sound quality

Did you click on the link that contains the floor plan?

Did you click on the link that contains the floor plan?

My apologies - I missed the link.

I like to have the speakers firing into the long dimension of the room (i.e. on either side of the fireplace), but considering your limitations, if you place them where the DQs are, ensure that you don't have the right speaker in the corner.

You will have to spend time listening and playing with room treatments, and perhaps do frequency sweeps of the room, keeping in mind that the room response will change as you move furniture around for listening.

I would place the reQuest near where the DQ10 used to be placed.

First adjustment from side wall:
A distance of 80 cm of outer edge of speaker from side wall.
This distance can be reduced. However minimum distance between speakers, if space permits, not less than 180 cm.

Second adjustment from wall behind loudspeaker:
A distance of 135 cm of front surface of speaker from wall behind loudspeaker.

If possible please move large sofa in front of window up against wall in front of speakers.
Center the large sofa against the wall in front of the speakers.
Move the smaller sofa outwards towards side wall and backward towards the wall with window.
The loudspeakers sound radiation should not have a obstacle between the speaker and golden listening position.

Hope u are able to suitably place the speakers and do not light fire in the fireplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammer, I'm going to agree with M15 on this placement, you might have to listen at slightly lower levels, with nice clean amplification like you have the 'jump' factor will come through! You need a long solid wall behind them, 5+ feet from the side walls and as far out into the room as allowed. Then start tweekin'...don't forget about tilting forwards and back.

I understand that there might input from the S/O for placing them where you did. When I saw your pic...I agree with Dave, too close! Then I saw the next one and, you will not be happy with them there. Sure, ML's sound wonderful just about anywhere you plunk them.

My first choice IIWY, the long wall... 2nd, beside the fireplace....get them away from that wall next to the kitchen.

Sure, ML's sound wonderful just about anywhere you plunk them... My first choice IIWY, the long wall... 2nd, beside the fireplace....get them away from that wall next to the kitchen.
What I really need to do is to just buy a bigger house. ;-)

I'll probably move them to either side of the fireplace once the winter heating season is over. I just don't have enough speaker cable to run since the amp will have to be on one side. Or possibly on the 'back' (opposite) wall against the sliders. In either case, some rearranging of furniture is in my future.