Australian Audio Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you say anymore about the B&O speaker characteristics Adam?

Cheers for the pics.

Here you go:

As I said, I quite liked these speakers. Would I be happy with them as my only speaker? No, but what they did well they did extraordinarily well.

At $AUD110,000, this system is nowhere near the most expensive at the show; and very reasonably priced all considered.

I still do not understand their claim of 8200 watts, given they were connected by single 10A (2400w) leads. And decidedly non-audiophile leads too - not that I have ever been one to fall for that bullsh1t.

Were they the best sound at the show - No. In some respects they were (more below), but overall? No - that goes to the German Physiks / Ypsilon system, driven by the Studer tape deck playing a dub from a master tape of Miles Davis. (See post #10).

They were being driven by an Oppo DVD player / music server (of all things) - feeding SPDIF to the speakers. The speakers themselves were connected to each other by ethernet. All amps and other anciliaries are built into the speaker.

What did they do well?

Dynamics. They sound fun! They’re great to listen to, engaging, and the imaging and soundstage was brilliant.

The speakers use DSP, and there are several different modes (narrow, wide, omni) - these were demonstrated at the show, and all my comments refer to the speakers operating in “Narrow” mode......that is the only way serious sound can be generated from the speakers. In the other modes, I could have walked right out completely unimpressed. It is worth noting however; that in “Wide” mode, they seemed to gain some much needed warmth.

The control and authority of the speakers is amazing. The pitch, control and definiton of the bass is something I have not heard before.

What did they not do so well?

Tonality - they were a little thin for my liking, and the treble was a little brash at times. The top end sounded compressed. While they were a very solid speakers, I could hear a ounce of colouration as well, particularly in the lower-midrange - not sure if this is room related though. It gave vocals and instruments like violin a clunky and almost electronic-sounding edge. On other music though, I could not pick this out at all.

Interesting read Adam. Thanks for that - some well formed opinions there.

Sure I'll get to hear them at some stage. Definitely sound like they are worth a listen, but as ever at that sort of price tag, it is rare I'd consider a speaker to be "worth it".

Back