Damaged Odyssey panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabman64

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Odysseys and the freight company stacked them on the panel side, both speakers and must have staked other freight on top of them. The panels on both speakers at the bottom are kind of flat. With the original boxes and packing the panels at the bottom didn't have much protection. My question is; will the panels still work and will it affect the sound to what degree?

Thanks in advance

Well I gotta ask. Were they insured on the shipping? I think ML still makes odyssey replacement panels?? But I am not sure. Someone else might know.

No, the speakers weren't insured. I filed a claim with paypal, but that sometimes doesn't work out. The panels are slightly flat on the bottom only. I haven't tried to straighten them.

Hola. Pics will help us more regarding your issue.

Try to bend them to their original position. You must take them off from the speaker´s cabinet. Its not a very difficult task, but you might need a friend´s help too.

And yes, part of the success of ML, is to have the 30 degree curvature, for sound dispersion.

Pics of damaged panels

This is the best pics I could get of the speakers.

Attachments

• ody5.jpg
    ody5.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 173
  • ody4.jpg
    ody4.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 170
  • ody6.jpg
    ody6.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 170
  • ody10.jpg
    ody10.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 170
where did you get these from and why were they not insured? If it was a individual then you should have taken matter to insure with the carrier.. I just had Odyssey shipped 2000 miles and they were fine but I was adamant on my terms ...In cargo world you get what you pay for

Wow! Sorry to read that. Avoiding that risk was why I drove 800 miles round trip to physically pick mine up.
I don't think you're going to have much luck bending them properly back into shape without a form. Unfortunately a new set of panels may be in order. Hope you get some sort of restitution to offset the loss..

Dan

shaping them back to order is doable but at what potential to the Mylar.. Its worth a try as they are compromised.. I would make a form or find something and slowly apply pressure. Problem with bending curves is its easy to straiten as you flatten them where you want. Putting a curve back in you need to go about a 1/3 past the radius you need to go as the metal will relax to its shape desired. That's where the stretching of Mylar may occur

You should try if they play music without problems.
If you can't hear anything unusual (except for wonderful sound of ML) just leave them as they are.
Trying to fix them might actually do more harm.

Be careful. If the Mylar is hitting the sator i believe you will have a dead short. If the Mylar is to close to the sator you could have some nasty arcing. Neither will be good for your amps.

Since you're right around the corner from Justrealmusic.com why not give Russ a call to see if he will evaluate those panels? If anyone could refurbish them it's probably him!

Since you're right around the corner from Justrealmusic.com why not give Russ a call to see if he will evaluate those panels? If anyone could refurbish them it's probably him!

I think this is a great idea. If you have a dealer around you bring those pics in and see what he says. If it is the one Tosh mentions tell him he came highly recommended on the net. You want someone who knows what he is doing with this. That really sucks. I can't believe you have no recourse. Did you use PayPal? That is an option as well. The seller should have insured them. I know I would have.

The dealer will no longer carry the odyssey so he won't care. But if you feel like he won't help u out because you bought them in the manner in which you did - just tell him you had them stored and this happened. You are a future customer in his eyes.

Russ is the owner of Just Real Music. He builds Stats and can repair panels. I have heard the interface electronics he builds with Monolith panels. It sounded very good.

Back