Hi newbee HiFi nut

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sal4070

Reaction score
I'm 59 retired fell in love with music/HiFi at the age of 15 Quad esl57 quad 33 /303 and I think a Linn sondek .turntable .WOW I was smitten it was in a HiFi shop in Cardiff ,I said to myself one day I'll get a system like that .anyhow now many system upgrades and downgrades lol I have a marantz CD 17 ki SIG ,jungson ja99d a.b amp and jamo concert 11 speakers with a mandrigal DAC ,just bought to replace my theta pro prime 11 DAC . now looking to buy used electromtion sl3 or MLs to about £1100 :ROFL:

Welcome to MLO forums sal!! I would think you can find some nice used ML's for less than 1,100 pounds, there are many sites like Craigslist and such for you to search. It's important that you hear them and if at all possible bring your gear to use with them. Most sellers should not mind this. Ask questions about the care they have been given...were they vacuumed every few months? Was there any smoking of any substance around them?

On the older models, check the woofers with a torch, the surrounds don't rot but, they do let go on the edges of the cones. I wish you much luck! You will be impressed.

They will need lot's of room around them to get the best, if you are married or have a S/O, will they allow these large speakers well out into your room? They will demand the highest quality gear upstream. You'll need an amplifier that can handle low ohms and the reactive load they require. Craig

Thanks

Welcome to MLO forums sal!! I would think you can find some nice used ML's for less than 1,100 pounds, there are many sites like Craigslist and such for you to search. It's important that you hear them and if at all possible bring your gear to use with them. Most sellers should not mind this. Ask questions about the care they have been given...were they vacuumed every few months? Was there any smoking of any substance around them?

On the older models, check the woofers with a torch, the surrounds don't rot but, they do let go on the edges of the cones. I wish you much luck! You will be impressed.

They will need lot's of room around them to get the best, if you are married or have a S/O, will they allow these large speakers well out into your room? They will demand the highest quality gear upstream. You'll need an amplifier that can handle low ohms and the reactive load they require. Craig

OK thanks for the advice

sal, welcome to the fold, good luck with your search !

Back