Martin Logan Theater Support

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday

Reaction score
I am a pround owner of a Martin Logan Theater Second hand from a well taken care of home.

I had a few questions since the speaker is so old. Is there a good way to test all of its components to see if they needed to be replaces. The panel and tweeters work fine. But my concern is as the speaker ages do the drivers need to be replaced?

if so can I replace them with any size?

Also the panels and tweeters?

I am not sure if ML still even has access to the parts for these.

I have owened it for around 3 years now and just starting to have a little concern and maybe a upgrade itch to a klipsch r 64ii center

I am a pround owner of a Martin Logan Theater Second hand from a well taken care of home.

I had a few questions since the speaker is so old. Is there a good way to test all of its components to see if they needed to be replaces. The panel and tweeters work fine. But my concern is as the speaker ages do the drivers need to be replaced?

if so can I replace them with any size?

Also the panels and tweeters?

I am not sure if ML still even has access to the parts for these.

I have owened it for around 3 years now and just starting to have a little concern and maybe a upgrade itch to a klipsch r 64ii center

Your ears may be able to help you decide whether each component of speaker is functioning okay. Place your ear next to driver and listen for distortion.
If you are unable to hear distortion then all is good.

Just because Theater is greatly depreciated may still be used to good effect if the sonics are good. No need to replace drivers. If the dynamic drivers cover can be removed then check driver surrounds for separation or disintegration.

Same size and specifications like original Theater dynamic driver. Reason has to fit inside enclosure.

Panels and tweeter work fine no reason to repair or replace.

May determine if part is available at the following email address:

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 5 theaters and have combined them into one. all crossovers have been removed and replaced with external units. I'm only using one of the tweeters and one is blown. Therefore I have three extra sets I can help you out if you need and can't get. A couple of years ago they were running low on woofers so I bought extras I'm a little less generous here as I may need them in the future but if you need I can help. I replaced one of the panels a little more than a year ago as the previous owner was a heavy smoker. If I didn't trash it you can have my smoke covered panel it was far.too much work from me to clean. Ml has a fantastic service group but if you need something that they don't have I may be able to help. Congrats on buying a fine ML legacy speaker.

GaeyG

First Off I would like to say thank you for your help. Would you mind offering some tips on how to check what is bad "if there is" anything at all. Also placement seems to be a issue for me as well. Is the center better more away from the back wall or close to a wall?>

If I may ask, what other speakers are you using so I can better comment on your desire to "upgrade'?

Some checks to make certain your Theater is functioning properly. Part 1 requires some modestly priced equipment part 2 requires sight sound and touch.

1. if you are going to be a serious audiophile you need to be able to check frequency response. I use Omni Mic from Dayton Audio available online for $300 and includes the Mic the Mic stand and pc based software. Martin Logan gives accurate specs so if the speaker does not give a response close to the specs then you've got an issue. there are other software audio systems available but I have not used them.

2. if it sounds good and you know how it should sound it's probably fine.
a) Check the woofers. visually look for and damage or tears. The Theater woofers sometimes have a glue issue where they will partially separate feel lightly very lightly near the outside rim to make sure you have no separation. If there is separation you should be able to hear it also.
b) check all three tweeters visually to see if you can see any anomalies. Listen to each tweeter with your ear as close as you can get. the tweeter may be completely out a connection problem (wiring?) or it might sound distorted like a sick bee. since they have a 3 tweeter array covering the upper frequencies it may be difficult to discern unless you get your ear close.
c) check the panel. Is the stator reasonably clear visually? here its helpful to have another panel to compare to. Does stator sound clear? are vocals clear and crisp? Here is where the ability to measure frequency really matters if you lack experience.

good luck. and enjoy the music. Feel free to ask for more details if necessary.

GaryG

Last edited:
First Off I would like to say thank you for your help. Would you mind offering some tips on how to check what is bad "if there is" anything at all. Also placement seems to be a issue for me as well. Is the center better more away from the back wall or close to a wall?>

DIstance from wall, to me, is important but what is far more important is height from floor of Theater. Theater's middle tweeter should be on the same horizontal plane as your ears when seated.

Some distance from wall, I would say is essential since Theater incorporates electrostatic panels. I not able to guide you for precise distance because I never used home theater equipment. Do not have experience.

However is easy in theory to find right distance from wall behind the speaker. Simply move the loudspeaker forward and backward until you are able to listen to focused clear dialogue. This process is somewhat like adjusting a manual camera lens. Adjust backward and forward until you get crisp, sharpest sonics from Theater.

Have fun listening to music.

GaryG is right on with the frequency response sweep idea.
My Theater and TheaterI woofers were reglued by John at http://www.vanlspeakerworks.com/ for $140 a pair. They were really well done and shipping was executed perfectly. He even gave me a phone call when they were about to be shipped. Once they were back, I had an idea, I had several Seas Excel speakers that are identical in mounting to the Martin Logan woofers. I looked up the crossover points of both Theaters I stack and I noticed the Seas was perfectly flat at that band. It was a bit wasteful, but I installed them into the Theaters.
GaryG, I want to mention that the speakers were stacked and coupled using some Symposium blocks. I A/B the woofers by removing one speaker at a time by lifting a connection with my bi wire Valhalla speaker cable. I am sad to saythat my friend, who is much younger and has the great ears, said the difference was insignificant between the plastic basket Martin Logan woofer and the relatively expensive Seas Excel. I took a turn at the listening spot and I had to agree with my friend.
You are lucky to have connections to purchase an aftermarket crossover.
2016-11-07-01.jpg2016-11-07-02.jpg

This is what the speaker looks like when it is installed. Sorry for not including it the first post. I would have to follow up with a crossover and perhaps upgraded pcb for the panel output to get a better speaker.

2016-11-3.jpg

Back