Anyone willing to try to stack rank every speaker ML has produced?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectroNoob

Reaction score
I'm new to MartinLogan and the only speakers I've heard are my Electromotion and the Motion 10 (I bought for me dad). I know it's not an exact science but I was wondering if someone(s) who had a lot of experience listening to different ML speakers can try to put them in order of performance relative to each other. I am really curious to see how newer mid/low range product compare to the older high end products. I think this would be very helpful for people who are looking to buy ML speakers on the used market.

Thanks,

EB

While I've heard most of the ML line ever produced, I'd not want to even try to rank them other than in vague generalities.

For one, because an audition at a dealer or trade show is in no way sufficient to truly assess performance. Likewise an in-home audition, as many setups are compromised by room and other constraints.
Heck, my own system has been in the exact same dedicated custom designed (for them) room for 16 years and it sounds ridiculously different today than it did when I first plopped them in the room. Thanks to massive changes in crossovers (went active), woofers (upgraded twice), amps, and most importantly: room treatments (as well as Room Correction in the pre-pro), the level of performance of the speakers is vastly different now.

So all I'd say in terms of guidelines regarding the used market is that the Gen1 speaker line is probably the best bang for the buck right now, but mostly if you can deal with DIY, as these are now 'of an age' where caps in the crossovers and ESL energizers are coming due for replacements, as are panels that have not been pampered. But they make great platforms if you are willing to bypass the crossovers and go active, update woofers (piece of cake if using an active, as you don't have to match the original x-over anymore). Just update the panels (a good bit of coin for sure, but worth it) and you can have amazing performance for a fraction of the cost of the latest models. But it IS work.

If looking for plug-and-play used, the Gen2 line is becoming more affordable these days now that newer models are out. Models with built-in woofer amps are the best bet, as you get the benefits of bi-amping while only needing a decent amp for the panel.

The latest line-up are of course their highest-performing models in the series, so you get what you pay for. That said, I find the Neolith pricing obscene. The ESL 15 / ESL 13 are very nice speakers and will outperform pretty much any Gen1 setup outside of highly modified Monoliths.

Last edited:
Thanks Jonathan,

Would you say an SL3 would perform better than an ESL Electromotion? Someone on my local CL is selling a pair for $800.

An SL3 definitely has a bigger panel, and larger woofer. However, you' have to factor cost for new panels and most likely new woofers and crossover updates. As I said, Gen1 is great for DIY at this stage of the game, not so much for just grab and use them for another decade.

An ESL Elecromotion will continue to deliver for a long, long time before needing any attention. And they are not bad, but as far as comparability to gen1's, I'd say an Aerius is more like it.

ESL "performance" comes with size. Bass "performance" comes with active xo, sealed cabinet, and woofer size. ML longevity comes with clear spar Gen2 and later panels. I would not even bother ranking any ML ESL much smaller than 12x48 inches.

From what I've seen and and having owned 4 models over some 25 years, the "sweet" spot (bang for the buck) is the Montis.

I have recently upgraded to Montis. So far I am very satisfied. I preferred them somewhat to Summit X. I have not actually heard any of the new models, but from a technical standpoint it seems they should be superior to the present models at the respective price points (larger panels and dipole bass management). I cannot see how I could make them work in my room thoug, as i doubt I could get them far enough away from the front wall.

Thanks Jonathan,

Would you say an SL3 would perform better than an ESL Electromotion? Someone on my local CL is selling a pair for $800.

An SL3 definitely has a bigger panel, and larger woofer. However, you' have to factor cost for new panels and most likely new woofers and crossover updates. As I said, Gen1 is great for DIY at this stage of the game, not so much for just grab and use them for another decade.

An ESL Elecromotion will continue to deliver for a long, long time before needing any attention. And they are not bad, but as far as comparability to gen1's, I'd say an Aerius is more like it.

Hate bringing up an old thread, but...

My brother had "my" SL3's, then thought he would upgrade to the latest Electromotion ESL. New technology, they just have to be better than 20 year old speakers he thought.

Well, even after about 2000 hours on the Electromotion's, they always had a cupped, nasally sound to them. Vocals sounded like they were in a cardboard box. The treble was decent, though a little rough around the edges. The bass was really good, light and agile. And not a complaint, but obviously falling short of that last octave or so.

The SL3's blew them away in every respect, to put it simply. And this was with all of the same gear in the same room. Nothing but the speakers were changed. Heck, even the little Sonus Faber Venere 1.5's that I had at the time blew the Electromotion's out of the water, except of course the ML's had not necessarily better bass, but deeper bass.

Needless to say, neither of us were impressed with the Electromotion ESL's. In fact, my brother tried talking me into trading my little Sonus Faber's with him, and I refused.

But now I am perfectly happy with the SL3's (I bought them off of my brother). I have them vertically bi-amped, just got the other amp in last night. I plan on going active with them and bypassing the internal passive x-overs here pretty soon.

Back