Is there such thing as too much power?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Krell FBP600...is this overkill for Odysseys?

Is there such thing as power overkill if you listen at moderate levels?

Dan

To answer your question NO! with ML . The FPB series is a great line, I had a fpb 300c and ran it with several speakers. from two way mini monitors to ReQuest to CLS.. The fpb 600 was well received and a very warm amp for its HUGE power.. IF you step up to Krell you will be Much better served with a Class A balanced pre amp to pair it with..

I agree with C.A.P and would like to share the following idea.

Most modern loudspeakers have fuse inside them. The wire in fuse melts if volt amperes in excess of loudspeaker power rating are delivered to speaker. Fuse wire melts to prevent damage to speaker from occurring.

If you buy Krell Full Power Balanced 600 and make full use of its power you may activate the fuse inside each Odyssey.

However, if you listen at moderate volume meaning within the power handling capability or range of Odyssey then your loudspeakers may remain okay or safe from damage. A large percentage of krell power will be dissipated in the form of heat if amp operation is class A.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you view Odyssey as an impenetrable lump which must be powered by a single amplifier, then NO you can't have enough power.
But if instead you break down the Odyssey into its component parts and use an active xo for the bass instead of the current-hungry passive bass xo, then one could choose suitable amplifiers for those separate easy electrical loads, and then you can drive the ESL with a small-to-medium amp and the woofers with a medium amp. Divide and conquer!

without major mods the active x over idea is not practical and very easy..

CAUTION, CAUTION, and more CAUTION. "With great power comes great responsibility" Uncle Ben, Spider-Man. Guaranteed you will enjoy the higher power and the Krell's are very good. However, Martin Logans are not fuse protected. If you push them too hard for too long it is not so simple as replacing a fuse. For example if you damage the prodigy's by hitting them too hard you probably need to remove the high pass and send it to ML for repair. If you hit the CLX's too hard too long you will damage the DEC and it will need to be replaced this requires resonable skill including soldering. The same is true on their newest models. Yes by all means enjoy the power but use it responsibly.

GaryG

Dan, the FBP600 is a perfect amp for the job. It'll supply enough current to never clip under low impedance conditions and, unless you listen in an auditorium sized room, it'll swing enough voltage than what the music requires so that there is never any voltage limit taking place. Grab it and enjoy. :music:

CAUTION, CAUTION, and more CAUTION. "With great power comes great responsibility" Uncle Ben, Spider-Man. Guaranteed you will enjoy the higher power and the Krell's are very good. However, Martin Logans are not fuse protected. If you push them too hard for too long it is not so simple as replacing a fuse. For example if you damage the prodigy's by hitting them too hard you probably need to remove the high pass and send it to ML for repair. If you hit the CLX's too hard too long you will damage the DEC and it will need to be replaced this requires resonable skill including soldering. The same is true on their newest models. Yes by all means enjoy the power but use it responsibly.

GaryG
I've always believed that your ears would be in distress before your speakers....but then there ARE people who listen at insane levels, ignoring the ringing, etc.

GaryG

My CLS 1 revised edition have one fuse each inside them located in the electronic box.

Gary is right!. Those fuses are meant for a protection of the income Voltage AC or if any of the electronics component fails. They do not protect any power overdrive coming from the amplifier.

Last edited:
Gary is right!. Those fuses are meant for a protection of the income Voltage AC or if any of the electronics component fails. They not protecting any power overdrive coming from the amplifier.

Thanks very much for the clarification. Sorry to all for the misrepresentation. I honestly believe that dynamic speakers are protected by fuses and in their case by overdrive coming from the amplifier.

Please Roberto if you can shed some light on the issue whether dynamic speakers have fuses yes or no and whether the fuse protects against amplifier overdrive.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

FWIW I've seen many speakers blown by powerful amps.

I used to work in digital audio and a mistake in the math while manipulating the audio signal can blow up speakers.

We eventually went with self amped Genelec's that specifically had overload protection built in. That worked well.

Latest posts

Back