Ready to commit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've made the decision to keep my recent find.... A brand new set of Odysseys. So, after a week of solid listening I decided to forgo my longtime relationship with my beloved ReQuest( original purchase 1998) and go with the Odyssey..
We have a new house and I have purposely kept the living room "vanilla" until I can spend a good amount of time listening to the system. Now, with this major change that was not planned whatsoever, I'm back to the drawing board.. Room acoustics. The carpet is leaving and will be replaced with travertine tile. Ugggg!
Here we go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 258
Ok Wink. I moved to a new house and went from carpet to engineered hardwood. Bass increase and more liveliness to the sound. I have a 5x7 area rug between me and the speakers. So I feel like I lost a little bit of image but my soundstage expanded. Not too bad.

Another thing. That sub in the corner. Good for HT. bad for stereo listening in my opinion. I am not sure if you use it - but I do use my descent at a very low level. My descent is pretty even with the woofer on the odyssey and is in the middle of the speakers. Actually quite a bit closer to one speaker. In any case it blends great with the sub out from any wall.

Also how far are they from the front wall? My panels are about 6'. Rear cabinet about 3.5'. It makes a difference getting them out into the room as you probably know.

Last edited:
I just went to 3/4" Maple flooring which was glued and nailed to the 3/4" subfloor. The improvement in bass response surprised me in a good way! So far I'm very happy with the change. I haven't gotten a throw rug in front of them yet.

I recently replaced carpet with engineered hardwood as well. Bass response is noticeably improved. The vertical dispersion characteristics of the panels do not allow for much if any floor reflections. I do not have any area rug either, just bare hardwood. Not having any issue at all.

My wife is wanting to go with an engineered wood floor instead of stone. After reading your reviews, I may have to let her win this one... Lol.

Also how far are they from the front wall? My panels are about 6'. Rear cabinet about 3.5'. It makes a difference getting them out into the room as you probably know.

The panels are just under 4' from the front wall. I have to take the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) into account. I push those limits all the time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pull them out while she isn't there and give it a listen. Let me know if good things happen. Wow - looks like people seem to like the hardwood across the board w similar results.

Haha! I will have to do just that, Timm. Problem is, if I love it I'll have to put the speakers on casters to roll back and forth at will...lol For now, I need to locate a company that makes good looking diffuser panels for the wall directly behind. Any suggestions?

Dan

From a wood flooring man 30 years owning my own company go with WOOD. Tile is cold and sterile. Many engineered floors now that are good,. If you want quality go with a 3/4 with a full wear layer. Nothing less than 5/8 as 1/2 and NEVER 3/8 .. Solid wood can be done over a floating double layer subfloor if height is not a issue..

That being said , Wood is a better option for acoustics in my opinion.. Less bright and easier to tame nodes

CAP ... tell me about basements and a completely flat cement floor..... bamboo??? is that a possibility? I figure wood in a basement is a 'no-no'??? Or should I just roll with carpet?? I live in Michigan.... Ann Arbor... If I recall you live in Rochester?? Don't recall completely..... Let me know your opinion... off topic sort of ... but maybe not.. .:)

many options PM me so we can keep it somewhat on topic,, I can help you out !

DAN GO WITH WOOD !

Without totally moving this thread off topic, what do you recommend as a separation, border, or transition between stone tile and wood flooring? We are wanting a "clean" looking transition.

Dan

A good floor mechanic will make one depending on height ! Table saw 7* bottom rabbited !

Back