Logitech Transporter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDIMike

Reaction score
Hey guys, there are a few Logitech Transporters floating around various sites like audiogon for a really reasonable sum. I'm considering replacing my Sonos Connect with something with 24 bit support and a better internal DAC (so I can better utilize my Parasound P5) and wondered what the issues with this device were. Is there any reason to be hesitant about it not being supported any longer?

Is there any reason to be hesitant about it not being supported any longer?

It depends on how reasonable the "reasonable sum" is?

It is a great device, and one which has great ongoing support through the community. It is a bit of a "cult" device, and as such prices will be inflated beyond what would normally be expected.

That said, it is old now, and the DAC (while good at the time) may not be up to the standard of even basic DACs these days.

A question - why would you go for a Transporter when you could use a Squeezebox Touch with outboard DAC?

Replacing the Sonos is certainly a step forward since the Sonos can't handle anything above 16/44 (is that still the case??). But a more flexible way forward I would think would be the Touch with an outboard DAC.

Or even just any other streamer with an outboard DAC.

Hey guys, there are a few Logitech Transporters floating around various sites like audiogon for a really reasonable sum. I'm considering replacing my Sonos Connect with something with 24 bit support and a better internal DAC (so I can better utilize my Parasound P5) and wondered what the issues with this device were. Is there any reason to be hesitant about it not being supported any longer?

I would say you are looking at 3 primary reasons.

1) It's no longer supported and so parts availability is a concern. Especially the screen which seems to be a high failure item at this stage of the game.

2) It's limited to 24-96 playback

3) It does not decode DSD files.

I have used a Transporter in my main system since 2008. Aside from the higher res limitations noted above, it is a fantastic piece of gear. One of my fav pieces in fact. Not only is it a fantastic streamer, with a top notch performing DAC (still to this day), but it also has an excellent pre-amp/volume control implementation equipped with a robust output stage and in-line attenuation to gain match your system properly. It works perfectly run straight into your power amp.

For anal types like me, who worry about jitter, it also has word clock input which, if you are fortunate enough to have a transport with a word output, allows one to configure the DAC to be the master and the Transport to be the slave (versus other way around as is norm) giving me a complete asynchronous operation (ie no clocking jitter). In my case I run Squeezebox Transporter (setup as slave) -> DAC (setup as master) but, this type of setup is a rarity which a select few would have a need for.

Would I recommend it to you? Possibly, depending on your requirements and your faith that the screen will hold up. You used to be able to buy replacement screens (I have a backup) but, last I heard, they are not easily found anymore. And, at what cost it would set you back. I would also look into other options, such as the aforementioned Touch which affords you more diverse decoding options and similar function and feel.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I love the Sonos, a lot. It's an incredible piece of equipment and insanely easy to use. My biggest problem with it is two fold. 1) No high res-support still (Sonos has basically said this is never going to happen). 2) Terrible on board DAC.

I have a Parasound P5 and have been told that the Analog stage of that piece is really good, while the on-board DAC of the P5 is just "pretty decent". I've considered just adding a separate DAC to the Sonos, but that doesn't solve problem #1, and also ideally I'd like a device with a good internal DAC...although I'm flexible.

The Cambridge Audio CXN is also on my shortlist, although I'm not thrilled about it up sampling everything. The Transporter can be had about $550.

Back