7ch to 2ch for movies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Presently I have a 7.1 surround using a lexicon mc12v5 and recently bought a audio research Ls27 2ch preamp. I have only been listening to 2ch and hardly watch movies any more in my dedicated media room. I was thinking i would get rid of my surround setup and just use two channel for my movies. I've been told some speaker designers that a good two channel setup correctly can sound really good With out the need of the center and surround speakers. My speakers now are summits, stage, 2 depths, grotto sub and Atlantic tech surrounds! What do u think? Thanks

I went from a 5.1 setup in my living room to a dedicated 2 ch setup about two years ago. Yes, it's true, I miss the surround sound during movies. But I average about 1 movie per month, sometimes less. I removed it because I listen to music more than I watch movies, and I wanted something more musical and real. For me, movies in 2 ch are just "OK." Doesn't come near the impact as 5.1. In fact, there was a time that I hooked up the 5.1 system again after I removed it. But it's gone for good now, unless I make a dedicated movie room and have two systems, one for movies and one for music.

Hope that helps.

I went from a 5.1 setup in my living room to a dedicated 2 ch setup about two years ago. Yes, it's true, I miss the surround sound during movies. But I average about 1 movie per month, sometimes less. I removed it because I listen to music more than I watch movies, and I wanted something more musical and real. For me, movies in 2 ch are just "OK." Doesn't come near the impact as 5.1. In fact, there was a time that I hooked up the 5.1 system again after I removed it. But it's gone for good now, unless I make a dedicated movie room and have two systems, one for movies and one for music.

Hope that helps.

Yes it did help thank u.

I simplified my home-theater set-up by getting a Yamaha soundbar. This way, my family can just turn on the entire "movie" system with a touch of the remote. The Yamaha soundbar does not come close to the Logans, but my family does not care for that extra bits of fine-performance. They are happy with the soundbar set-up. The added benefit of this separation is that the tubes are not getting burned during movies and special effects.

2 channel works ok if you only ever intend to have 1 person in the room watching a movie.

Let's not forget that surround set-ups are not only for movies. Especially with high-resolution music, be it multi-channel SACD or DVD-audio, there is no substitute - as it works for almost every genre. Too bad that Sony crushed DVD-Audio format. I got into it when it started around 2001 and have a small collection of DVD-A and SACD. I challenge anyone to listen to either format and judge for themselves.

Let's not forget that surround set-ups are not only for movies. Especially with high-resolution music, be it multi-channel SACD or DVD-audio, there is no substitute - as it works for almost every genre. Too bad that Sony crushed DVD-Audio format. I got into it when it started around 2001 and have a small collection of DVD-A and SACD. I challenge anyone to listen to either format and judge for themselves.

I used to have a system for surround music as well... here was my problem with it.... When listening to 2 channel music - you get sound where there is no speaker because of the imaging..... When you have a 5.1 setup - there is always a speaker there.... So for me - it kind of killed the magic in many respects..... The different mixes you got with the surround tracks were definitely cool though... and sometimes you could get this effect as if a gong was just not being hit ... but going thru your head... (think Bohemian Rhapsody at the end...).....

I do like what a lot of preamp manufactures are doing these days. My Parasound P5 has a Home Theater Bypass circuit that allows you to connect a Preamp directly to an AV Receiver. The AVR basically becomes another input on the system. When I want to watch movies the Preamp goes to bypass, and my Motion 40s continue being driven by my Parasound A23, while the Marantz NR1603 does all the surround stuff.

Pretty great idea, and definitely allows easier simplification. My wife can now go between 2 channel and "TV Mode" with one touch of our Logitech Harmony.

Back