Amping/pre-amping question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bweinstock

Reaction score
Hey guys -

I'm ready various things that recommend using an amp for my new Ethos. I was planning on running my motion 40, motif x, and dynamo 1000 through my Marantz SR6010, and adding a separate for the Ethos fronts. I just left Magnolia and they recommended (since I love Marantz), that I use the SR6010 as my pre, and add the MM7055 as my power amp. Does this sound like it would work well? I love the sound already, but now I am obsessed and want to squeeze every drop of power/quality out of them. The 7055 is only $1,200, which seems low compared to other amps I had been reading about. I don't know that much about ohms, but I know the ethos can go down to 4, so I want to make sure this would be a good/compatible fit.

Thanks in advance for the input and advice.

I do not recommend expensive amplifiers because they are expensive. Being expensive is a relative concept. A $2000 amp may be expensive for me but inexpensive for a CEO of large multinational company. I try to recommend and for myself buy least expensive components that get the job done well.

Amplifier performance is affected by resistance of attached loudspeakers. The lower the resistance of loudspeaker ,and believe me 0.8 ohms is quite low, the more easily current will flow to the speaker. In other words the lower the resistance measured in ohms greater the current the loudspeaker will demand of the power amp. For loudspeakers with minimum 1 ohm resistance it is important that amp is stable driving at a minimum, a 2 ohm load. Amplifiers get more expensive the more current one needs to extract from them.

The five channel Marantz power amp is rated at 140 watts @ 8 ohms and not below 8 ohms.
Therefore from the specifications is obvious it's internals cannot provide high current and is therefore less expensive. Ethos demand a quality 2 channel power amp that is rated for 2 ohms. 4, 6 and 8 ohms rated amps may also work but they will provide compromised sound or not unleash the true potential of Ethos electrostatic panel.

Over the years I was searching for a power amp that delivers and yet though expensive is not unreasonably or unjustifiably expensive as high end separates most often are. The MCA 225 is such a amplifier. A warning treble is understated and I compensate for this by increasing 3 high frequencies using the equalizer provided in JRiver MC 20. This amp makes my 27 year old CLS sing when sonically refined recordings are played. I listen to CD audio only. Not SACD or DSD.

Keep your Motif X for it was new when purchased and works reasonably well providing clear dialogue, its purpose for a center speaker fulfilled.

I am so new to this side 0 my specialty is video, so THANK YOU for the input. is this one you mentioned? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AGYYpkH4fDC/p_973MCA225/Anthem-MCA-225.html

Looks like its $800 more, but offers much more power yes? I am trying to understand the ohms concept, and the Marantz doesn't seem to go to 4, while this Anthem provides 400 watts per channel @ 4. Seems like a much better fit? Thanks again for all the guidance.

I am so new to this side 0 my specialty is video, so THANK YOU for the input. is this one you mentioned? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AGYYpkH4fDC/p_973MCA225/Anthem-MCA-225.html

Looks like its $800 more, but offers much more power yes? I am trying to understand the ohms concept, and the Marantz doesn't seem to go to 4, while this Anthem provides 400 watts per channel @ 4. Seems like a much better fit? Thanks again for all the guidance.

PLease get a second opinion and listen to run in amp prior to purchase decision. I have this amp and in the manual asserted single channel driven is 400 watts @ 4 ohms. Both channels driven at the same time is 320 watts @ 4 ohms and 370 watts @ 2 ohms.

Just my subjective opinion, would be better to drive Ethos using a 2 channel amp rather than a 5 channel amp.

Thanks for the appreciation. Feels good to be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the MM7055 vs the SR6010, you are only getting an additional 30 wpc at 8 ohms. I would second the above opinion and get a dedicated 2 CH amplifier for the Ethos. You can run the rest of your surround sound directly from the SR6010. I have not personally used the Anthem, but it seems like a reasonable choice.

Yeah, that's what I am leaning towards - using the Anthem (or something similar, though they sure are powerful) for the Ethos and running everything else off of the 6010. But again - is it even worth it? The room is medium sized, would the sound difference be noticeable? My ML dealer said Ethos don't require much power to really sing, so just deciding if the separate amp purchase makes sense

Hola. In the used market, Audiogon or Ebay, you could find what you are looking for.

Just keep in mind this: the amplifier that you are going to use, will drive only the stat panels. The power for the bass, the internal amp will drive the woofer with outstanding bass quality. Your amp will feed to the speakers, full frequency, from deep bass to zip, but your amp will drive only the stat panels. At the crossover section of the Ethos, there is a well designed crossover circuit, making your amp to read the bass as open circuit. The impedance is circa 3000 to 4000 ohms load, and will not charge any amplifier on the market, because the load impedance is usually 8 ohms or less for most amps and speakers. The bass signal is taken and channeled to the digital power amp, to drive the woofer, and your amp to drive the the stat panels where the input impedance is around 4 ohms. The stat panel behavior is different than a dynamic cone type. The impedance gets lower as the frequency starts to rise, getting sometimes less than 1 ohm at 20KHz.

Some of members here like tube sound, and others like SS. Its a never ending debate. My advice is, get the one that you liked most. Do not worry about power, search for quality, transparency, sense of 3D stage, size of the instruments, timbre and the feeling of the musician(s) playing for you. Listen the quality of the strings instruments, guitars, piano, vocals, wind instruments and percussion. You will be amazed of the Ethos capability in resolving all these parameters.

Happy listening!

Hey guys -

I'm ready various things that recommend using an amp for my new Ethos. I was planning on running my motion 40, motif x, and dynamo 1000 through my Marantz SR6010, and adding a separate for the Ethos fronts. I just left Magnolia and they recommended (since I love Marantz), that I use the SR6010 as my pre, and add the MM7055 as my power amp. Does this sound like it would work well? I love the sound already, but now I am obsessed and want to squeeze every drop of power/quality out of them. The 7055 is only $1,200, which seems low compared to other amps I had been reading about. I don't know that much about ohms, but I know the ethos can go down to 4, so I want to make sure this would be a good/compatible fit.

Thanks in advance for the input and advice.
If you'll forgive a shamelessly self serving response, I have a Bryston 4BST in the classified section. This is a 2nd 4BST that I own, the other is presently powering my reQuests.

Feel free to touch base if it's of interest.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back