Help with new ReQuests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Just picked up a pre-owned set of ReQuests from the original owner who bought them in 2000 and had them in storage for about 5 years. Since it'll be a while since the CLS's that I really want show up, this will have to do for now.

Two questions.

1) Is there anything in particular I should know about these speakers, being a new owner? Notes or pointers on positioning would be helpful, but anything related to how best to get the most out of them would be appreciated. My current equipment is:
Panamax M4300
Krell KRC-3
Bryston 4BST
Polk SW
MonsterCable dual-ended speaker connects (for all 4 inputs on the MLs)

2) There's a bit of a buzz from the woofer on one only at certain frequencies, and I'm not sure if it's the front frame or the driver itself. If anyone can give me an idea of where to start looking into it - which is to say - how to get to the driver safely, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pull the grill cover off and inspect the driver.. The wood rails are on a pin rail system.. You need to tap them with a rubber mallet then they will slide up with the speaker laying on its back on a blanket.. .. The woofer is unobtainable.. Id check loose screws and for any vibrations.. A test tone disc or a Iphone has a app that you can use .. If it plays its not likely ruined as voice coils rarely fault at a certain frequencies but surrounds do and one could be going or gone. They are Eminence drivers and ML likely has no more or they are $$$ Panels are $1900 IIRC and not clear spars as only certian older ones that were smaller could be made with the new ones.. (SL3and the narrower)

Dont be stuck on the CLS as its good but older technology and the newer Clear spar tech has made leaps and bounds .. My Odysseys are better sounding in my ears than the CLS .. Take it from a former CLS owner. By the way, I owned two Request also .. Modded one to the 9th degree to get the best out of them Search the forms I did pics and a write up

The wood rails are on a pin rail system.. You need to tap them with a rubber mallet then they will slide up with the speaker laying on its back on a blanket..

Tapping from the bottom moves the rails, but not much - only about 1/3" or so. How far do I need to go?

New MLs are not a (financial) option at this time.

ETA... Yeah, so for the record, the rails needed to be tapped DOWN on mine.

Last edited:
far enough to un hook them.. its a pin stud /slot system .. THEY ONLY MOVE ONE WAY ! The wood holds the panel in with a tapered slot that tightens .. if its moving DOWN then continue to tap it . I AM SURE search engines here work !

far enough to un hook them.. its a pin stud /slot system .. THEY ONLY MOVE ONE WAY ! The wood holds the panel in with a tapered slot that tightens .. if its moving DOWN then continue to tap it . I AM SURE search engines here work !

Heh... well, when a guy with 1800+ posts tells me they go UP, then I take that kinda literally.

Heh... well, when a guy with 1800+ posts tells me they go UP, then I take that kinda literally.

With a name like Hammerhead I guess Ill have to take it literally ..:duh:.OK NO HARD FEELINGS.. With 6 posts coming out asking questions without a introduction and then berating someone without searching the forums is a tad obtuse ! Here is the link to one of my rebuilds , I still cant REMEMBER if its up or down.. :ROFL:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...the-Quest-Loudspeaker&highlight=quest+rebuild

With 6 posts coming out asking questions without a introduction and then berating someone without searching the forums is a tad obtuse ! Here is the link to one of my rebuilds , I still cant REMEMBER if its up or down.. :ROFL:
You mean an intro like this? I'm pretty sure the search function works. :rocker:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?17066-New-member-from-PA

And... bereting? Wow. :ROFL:

Anyway, the good news is that the buzzing was in fact a loose speaker grill, the driver is perfect. After removing the rails and repositioning the panel, everything is fine. However the fabric at the bottom is a bit chewed up and logos are missing letters, so I'd like to refresh that at some point.

I checked out your thread but haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly. Nice upgrade job, and I really like what you did with the ML logo backlit in the middle, but a modification that's definitely not for the faint of heart. Interesting to note that I have four binding post terminals, presumably so the speakers could be bi-amped. I guess there was some sort of design change along the lines. This set was purchased in 2000, if that means anything.

Touche! Hammerhead:rocker:

Well consider your self a regular now... Encouraged by me as those CLS would have been a nightmare ! The Quests were first, then Re Quests.. Same size minor upgrades and bi Wire able was one of them.. Spar spacing was improved also as well as a few x over tweaks to help the impedance dips

Back