Advice on purchasing used set of SOURCE speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamtimothy

Reaction score
Hello folks,

First post here. I have wanted a set of ML's ever since I was randomly introduced to electrostats in 2002, I am a musician and was hosted in Budapest by a stranger who owned a massive speaker, from what I know now - I think it may have been a Summit series or perhaps it's predecessor. In any case I have wanted to own an electrostatic speaker since.

Recently a used set of Source speakers have become available, I will not have the opportunity to hear them before purchasing, so I am hoping to receive a bit of guidance here.

First off, at the very least these are just shy of ten years old as the series was discontinued in 2007 correct? So what is the average longevity of these speakers anyhow? I've read that replacing panels is somewhat commonplace so I half expect to need to do this(hopefully not immediately), What is the replacement cost?

This next question might be frowned upon, and is quite subjective, but I would really appreciate someone hazarding a guess as to their value. I will be paying $650.00 CAD if I go ahead with it.

Lastly, is there anything really obvious I can have my friend check out quickly when they're delivered to him?

Thanks,

Timothy

Hi Timothy,

Retail price when discontinued in 2007 was $2,200 USD. Given this and the age of the speaker, the price you are paying may or may not be a "fair" price given the condition.

I would certainly check with ML regarding new panel price and availabilty of other parts (and price) such as the dynamic drivers.

Gordon

ESLs are indeed pure magic. BUT!
Please don't buy the Source if your reference is ANY OTHER LARGE ESL.
Please don't buy any UNTESTED loudspeaker.
Please know that ML ***** us for replacement panels.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I agree w Tosh. Depending on what you heard. I don't find the smaller ones as appealing. But that is me and what my usage is. ML is in Best Buy - if they have a Magnolia area within for their better products. I would at a minimum go listen to the smaller models there if you have them in Canada around where you live.

Re panel life. That seems to be variable. I have odysseys and have never had any panel issues. If u are not sure of the age of the prospective speakers then get the serial number and this site has an age decoder based on serial number.

Back