New speaker.......Classic ESL-9

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone here excited about a new more affordable speaker from ML?

Affordable is questionable for what you are getting.... Im not sure I want a 9 inch panel and twin 8's for $6500 plus.. I do like the theory of going back to passive subs as I like to control my speakers

I like the dual 8 inch woofers, since the Theos model which they seem to be replacing had one 8 inch and had a frequency response only down to 43 Hz.

give me twin 8 or a 10 and 8 as well as a 12 inch 48 inch panel "A LA" Odyssey and now your talking.. Not that I am partial as I am a Odyssey owner and like the design really well.. Better than my CLS !

Really more of an in-between replacement above the Theos and below the Ethos. About the same spec as the Ethos, but you have to Supply your own LF power. Which I would actually somewhat prefer, although I think the "secret sauce" for integrating the panel to the woofer comes from the DSP. If I were going to design a special speaker something like the Expression with no powered bass, but outboard electronic crossover with either DSP or active analog would be the way to go. With analog electronic crossover between the pre and power amp you could use high tolerance R and C components and no inductors at all. You can add in gain at certain frequencies if required to extend LF response and or mate with the panel.

I have a pair of Classic ESL-9's for three weeks now in my 16 X 26 foot (8' ceiling) dedicated listening room. The integration of the bass is fabulous on these speakers in my room. I am truly impressed so far.

Last edited:
Are these made in China like the entry level models or in Canada where 11A upwards are made?

To the best of my knowledge, all the Masterpiece series speakers are entirely Canadian-made.

Latest posts

Back