Upgrade Ethos to Montis?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtucker

Reaction score
With the new model change over there are deals to be had. Assuming I can sell my flame teak Ethos around $2k less than the Montis will cost would you upgrade?

Just curious about your opinions.
Thanks,

My opinion based on information available at MLO's. Would be a worthwhile upgrade.

The Montis has same panel as Summit X and same panel electronics. WIth all due respect to Ethos owners I state that Ethos panel same as Montis however panel electronics differ.

In both Stereophile and TAS I have read good things about Montis.

The Ethos has a smaller panel than Montis. The amplifier is "probably" the same in Ethos and Montis, but crossover is different. I spent a while trying to figure out exactly how the Ethos are wired internally, but it is a little complicated.

The Ethos has a smaller panel than Montis. The amplifier is "probably" the same in Ethos and Montis, but crossover is different. I spent a while trying to figure out exactly how the Ethos are wired internally, but it is a little complicated.

Sorry about the error. You are right the Ethos has less wide panel. Approx. 20% less panel radiating area than Montis and Summit X.

Hola: Ethos model is a small version of the Montis. Difference? With the Montis, everything is done without effort. Wide stage, deeper sense of 3D, better bass, it challenges his big brother, the Summit X in many ways. I am not saying that the Montis is better than the Summit X, what I am saying is, for a smaller room, Montis will bring out effortless what the Summit X does in a big room. The stat panel is exact, but only one 10" woofer on the Montis. So, the difference is there, at the bass energy.

Getting back to the Ethos, it uses the same power amplifier built in the Montis, but a front firing active 8" woofer and a passive radiator firing to the floor. This array gives to the Ethos deeper bass than the Ethos replacement model, the Vantage, but not as good as the Montis.

The woofer integration of the Montis it's almost perfect. The Ethos fails the clarity and the quality of the bass if you do a comparison between them. But, let me tell you that the Ethos is a very good sounding speaker too.

Because both speakers have the Martin Logan magic, I could live with both, but Ethos is only a step backward. Both shine with the music, and brings the musician(s) playing for you, there, in your room, but Montis goes ahead doing it effortless. The cymbals are projected with tons of space, with the right timbre. Metals are clear and crispy. Percussion has a lot of dynamics, on both models. Vocals are better on the Montis.
I do believe that, if you want a better sounding Ethos, which is one of the best speakers available at its price range, get the Montis. Quality has no regret!. And Montis brings wider stage, and with having bigger stat panel, the reproduction of the musical instruments are more transparent, with better bass quality. The definition of the bass notes are breath taking.

Montis is the way to go, definitively.

Last edited:
I'm starting to lean towards upgrading. Any idea how hard it will be to sell my Ethos? Are we allowed to talk price on this forum? Some forums forbid it.

I'm starting to lean towards upgrading. Any idea how hard it will be to sell my Ethos? Are we allowed to talk price on this forum? Some forums forbid it.

It depends if you have shipping boxes or not. If you can't ship, you have a limited audience. The other factor is what you need to get out of them. I see allot of used speakers trying to be sold at a pretty marginal discount and they sit and sit. You might be better off holding on to them until all the discontinued inventory is sold off as it's driving the used prices down right now. If you are realistic with getting 40-60% of MSRP, you should have no problem selling them. If you want more than that, it'll take a bit more time to find the right buyer.

I have all the shipping materials. I was hoping to get $3k for them or 42% of MSRP. Sound reasonable?

Well I went for the Montis. They arrived today just 90 minutes after the new owner picked up my Ethos. I can tell you that the difference between Ethos and Montis is not subtle at all. The overall sound is very similar as you would expect, just the Montis has more of everything. The larger panel and 10 inch sealed woofer do sound great together.

Back