Dealing with Brightness

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake9

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I have been dealing with some brightness my system. I have tried correcting it by putting drapes behind the speakers, some pillows, and throws in the room. I've also changed out the speakers cables which helped some, and toed in and out the speakers but that didn't seem to change much. Is there anything I can do in regards to the placement, or positioning that could correct this?

Thanks in advance.

ML Theos
Parasound A 21
Approx. 16 x 14 ft room w/ 8ft ceiling
Carpeted

gotta tell us more .........windows ? how many and where ? first point of reflection, treated or not. seating position with respect to room boundaries and speaker placement

Nothing good or bad about bright sound. Owners preference is what matters. If the sound is bright and not like bright sound then either use a suitable tube preamp to reduce edge and/or sibilance or upgrade your power amp to a neutral sounding amplifier. A natural sounding amp with understated treble is the Anthem MCA 225. This amp is less expensive than A21.

Lastly in addition to carpet if your room has place to add curtains. My advice use curtains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, guys. I have been dealing with some brightness my system. I have tried correcting it by putting drapes behind the speakers, some pillows, and throws in the room. I've also changed out the speakers cables which helped some, and toed in and out the speakers but that didn't seem to change much. Is there anything I can do in regards to the placement, or positioning that could correct this?

Thanks in advance.

ML Theos
Parasound A 21
Approx. 16 x 14 ft room w/ 8ft ceiling
Carpeted

I struggled for a long time with brightness with my Ascents. The 2 biggest changes for me were acoustic treatments (and lots of them) and my pre-amp. The acoustic treatments were a major step in the right direction. I thought I was going to kill the magic of my MLs with treatments. It took a little time to get used to it but I found that I enjoyed the sound so much better.

Finding equipment with the right synergy was the icing on the cake.

Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back