Never, Ever Forget 9/11/2001

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuwee

Reaction score
I guess I'm an optimist but, I hope/believe that a collective of loving minds and thoughts can really change what is happening.

It's not just here in the USA, it's everywhere, and who anywhere in the world wasn't shocked, disgusted, appalled and sickened by what happened that beautiful blue sky day on the East coast of the United States of America??

As an ex Manhattanite, I saw those towers everyday, I used to go downtown, lay my head against the alloy tubes and look up, WoW!! Just WoW!! Every time I flew into NYC, there they were, all lit up, beacons in the night...Welcome to one of the greatest city's on Earth!!

I can't get that morning out of my mind even 15 years later, watching the 1st tower go down, seeing the buildings behind the cloud of smoke and debris where it used to stand so proud and tall, thinking of all those people, scared and hurt trying to get down the stairs, and all those brave men and women marching up to save who they could...just to perish in a blink of an eye.

Bin Laden got what he wanted

I suggest you listen to Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" on Sunday, he may not be your 'cup of tea' but, the man made an album of that day like no one else ever did...

I'll share my experience from that morning. We were in a hotel in Grammercy Park, a few dozen blocks away, when it happened. We were sleeping in as it was our last day there. We had actually been in the WTC and gotten a tour of the floor of the Stock Exchange the day before! We were awakened by a call from home to see if we were ok. Looked out the window and saw the plume of smoke rising. Turned on the T.V. and saw the second building get hit. So we went down to the coffee shop, got some coffee, and then walked to within six blocks of the WTC. Couldn't get any closer. Saw emergency response stations set up and people coming from the disaster zone completely covered in ash and debris, looking like the walking dead with faces contorted in utter horror.

I'm a photographer and had my camera with me, but I could not bring myself to take a photo. It was just too personal. Cell phones weren't working due to the overloaded networks. Every pay phone had a line ten or twenty deep. People were crying everywhere you looked. Anger, pain, fear, uncertainty were all around you. No planes flying overhead except for military jets. The city basically shut down, and the normally aloof New Yorkers all came together in an instant. Utter strangers asked us if we needed anything, a place to stay, or whatever. We were told we wouldn't be charged for staying in the hotel, as all flights were cancelled for the foreseeable future.

We got lucky though, and were able to get out the next day. We managed to get in touch with a friend from home who was a businessman in NY for meetings and determined to get home. He hired a limo to drive us home. The limo driver told stories about driving for celebs like Dinero and Elizabeth Taylor. He also told us he was on his way to pick up Joe Namath when he got the call from dispatch redirecting him to pick us up and drive us--all the way to Alabama. Yes, we tipped him well for that trip.

Somewhere in my attic, I still have the newspapers we bought on the 12th which were filled with stories and pictures of the devastation. Just a few weeks ago we were back in NY and visited the memorial. It was rather haunting to dredge back up all those memories and the utter horror of it all.

I was in college, we were in class and class was cancelled. We didn't know why, I received a call from my parents to head back home. I asked why, it was because I was in Chicago and there were buildings and they were worried about a second attack.

I went back to my dorm and turned on the tv (a small 13" tv)... and there it was, WTC 1 was down and the 2nd one was in smoke.

I recall that day quite well.

But 9/11 is not always a sad day for me... because 9 years later on the same day, I got married.

So today's our anniversary as well.

Happy anniversary Joey !

a moment of silence for reflection at the gun club this morning before we started shooting clays ........

I was at work. Our site had lost one leg of the 3 phase coming in and it cooked a transformer (along with the squirrel that caused it). 50-60 people were in the parking lot waiting for the company to either send us home or give us an update when the power was going to be restored.

I will never forget this. One of the managers was sitting in his truck listening to the news on his radio and said that one of the towers had been hit. A group of us just up and left to run to the local Kmart (now gone) to watch everything on TV. I saw the second tower come down. I went home some time around 11am and watched news on TV for hours in disbelief.

I was in Manhattan in mid-July this summer and got to see the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park and then walked to the Tower Pools and the surrounding area. It was very emotional. I think every American needs to visit that site.

TC3.jpgTC2.jpg

TC1.jpgSOL1.JPG

Latest posts

Back