What's up with these NFL players disrespecting our National Anthem??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuwee

Reaction score
I'm totally confused, why??

I've been a huge football fan since I was a wee lad, I'm about to never watch a NFL game again, not spend one penny of my hard earned money, buying another jacket/hat/t-shirt or ticket to a game!! 49'ers/Seahawks and Bronco's can kiss my a$$, losers!! Not one owner of these teams will take a stand! I'm beyond pi$$ed off! Get out, if you feel wronged, take all the cash we gave you and don't let the door hit your big sorry a$$ on the way out!!

Another one refuses to stand...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-marshall-takes-knee-during-national-anthem :mad::mad::mad:

Something is very, very wrong here.

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing.

These players will be paying for their decisions financially. That is almost a guarantee whether it be endorsement deals or how the team feels about keeping them etc..

On the other hand if they are "forced" to stand then the act of standing would be completely meaningless and wouldn't signify respect.

If we truly believe that we have the right to exercise free speech then this person was just expressing themselves.

I agree with Mark that certainly no one should be forced to stand during the anthem. I respect the fact that he has a choice to stand or not, even though I very much disagree with his decision not to do so. There are a couple of issues in the US currently that I have strong disagreements about as well, but showing respect for the flag and our anthem is much greater than any of the current issues. In my opinion, either sitting or turning your back to the flag, while the anthem is playing, is actually an act of being disrespectful to the country, not just 'not having respect'. If he feels he can't stomach standing for the flag, then he should just sit in the locker room until the anthem is over, and then come out on the field.

I think he has recently said that he will make donations from his jersey sales, and they are up right now, to black causes. But this is what he should have done from the beginning. I think that actually helps make a positive change as opposed to just creating resentment. It sets a much better example for others to follow behind you.

i see both sides of this issue.. It's their right to do what they're doing and American veterans fought for this right. America is free. But I also think this is not the way to support Black Lives Matter. Seeing this doesn't infuriate me like it does some people. I'm just happy football season is back!! GO PACK GO!

Not to sidetrack the thread, but do others on here that have watched the NFL, or any professional sports for that matter, over the past decades feel as strongly about it as before? It just seems as though I can recite the names of players on past teams even more so than I can now, because most of the players were the same from year to year, with a number of players staying with the same team throughout their careers. I get the feeling that I now root for a team name or jersey color more so than a team of players, because in the course of 2-3 years, a lot of those players have changed teams. In some ways, maybe it has helped the game stay more competitive for different teams, but I liked how it was in the past when there wasn't as much turnover.

tar and feather the bum !

Seriously, Dave? If it's not voluntary, then it has no meaning. If everyone stands with their hand on their heart, not out of a true personal sense of patriotism, but solely out of fear of reprisal, then we are no better than North Korea. You may not agree with his way of expressing his opinion, but you should absolutely agree with his right to do so without fear of physical harm. A pastor calling a high school football game in my State recently announced over the P.A. that anyone not standing for the Anthem should be shot! Really? How utterly "Christian" of him. I guess "thou shalt honor the flag" takes precedence over "thou shall not kill" in his list of commandments.

Personally, I think it's silly how angry people get over whether one guy sits or stands during the National Anthem at a football game. Do all you guys watching the game at home stand up, with your hand over your heart, and face the flag hanging in your living room when they play the Anthem on the T.V.? Or do you just do it in public when others are watching? Much ado about nothing, in my opinion. But then, Americans love their righteous indignation.

Seriously, Dave? If it's not voluntary, then it has no meaning. If everyone stands with their hand on their heart, not out of a true personal sense of patriotism, but solely out of fear of reprisal, then we are no better than North Korea. You may not agree with his way of expressing his opinion, but you should absolutely agree with his right to do so without fear of physical harm. A pastor calling a high school football game in my State recently announced over the P.A. that anyone not standing for the Anthem should be shot! Really? How utterly "Christian" of him. I guess "thou shalt honor the flag" takes precedence over "thou shall not kill" in his list of commandments.

Personally, I think it's silly how angry people get over whether one guy sits or stands during the National Anthem at a football game. Do all you guys watching the game at home stand up, with your hand over your heart, and face the flag hanging in your living room when they play the Anthem on the T.V.? Or do you just do it in public when others are watching? Much ado about nothing, in my opinion. But then, Americans love their righteous indignation.

Rich, while most of my comment was somewhat sarcastic the 'bum' part I stand by. Simply put I have zero respect for anyone not respecting our Nations flag. As for your 'voluntary comment' ............I'm sure you remember as kid having to give your old aunt (you know, the one with a mustache) a kiss and a hug..........you did it out of respect. As for the flag, I've stopped and asked / told people (kindly) to display it properly when it was not done so.

This is sorta pertinent.

After 911, the US made a grandiose effort to have major nations support and provide manpower and arms to fight against Iraq. France said no because they were not convinced that Iraq had WMD's. There were likely other reasons that I don't recall.

There was this huge nationwide resentment against France (ban on french fries, etc.) for not supporting the US position. Insults thrown, condemnation, etc.

This reminds me of a similar reaction.

And of course now, only the rabidly blind support the USA invasion.

GG

AND WE ARE FREE WHY? BECAUSE OF THIS FLAG.. You may not agree with the USA stance or any other political matter that is in effect but our freedoms did not come for free.. The cost many paid for these so disrespectful individuals to participate in the games YES GAMES, they are so over paid to do is because of the flag and what it represents

Chris,

I agree that athletes are way, way overpaid for what they do. The most egregious in my mind are, with the exception of the catcher, baseball players.

But it is so because of us and what our values and priorities have become.

Too deep. I'm out.

Gordon

Chris,

I agree that athletes are way, way overpaid for what they do. The most egregious in my mind are, with the exception of the catcher, baseball players.

But it is so because of us and what our values and priorities have become.

Too deep. I'm out.

Gordon

Haha. You are right Gordon. This is too deep. We have gone from nfl players not standing for the anthem because of black lives matter to Iraq and France's participation to baseball players salaries.

I'll comment on only one. Baseball. Guys play 162 games and play in front of about 4 million people over a season that goes April thru October. Plus they play preseason games. Yah some of them are paid what the market is willing to pay but the revenue they bring in given TV deals etc is well...large. So I am all for players getting their salary. You don't want my opinion on any of the rest. Lol. :)

The whole uproar leads me to believe that many people cannot differentiate between the symbols of freedom and the reality of freedom.

These athletes have a right to sit down, people have a right to not agree with that, no one has a right to be a dick about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts friends :D

Everyone has the right to say/feel what they may about the flag/National Anthem...I still say, if you don't like it here...Get the F out!!

This idiot Ka,what ever the $hits name, doesn't know a cop from a hairdresser. He needs a mental health facility like yesterday! Then you have the other African American players jumping on the wagon. This goes beyond race relations and your feelings about how the police respond in situations where their lives might be in danger. It's plain and simple really in my eyes.

The whole uproar leads me to believe that many people cannot differentiate between the symbols of freedom and the reality of freedom.

These athletes have a right to sit down, people have a right to not agree with that, no one has a right to be a dick about it.

Haha... well... there seem to be plenty of dicks to go around.... But - ok - lets say we disagree with this.... for the sake of argument..... Now lets ask -what was the purpose of this? Did it help? Did it do anything? Maybe these possibly attention seeking hounds could do something else more positive to help the cause? Lets say it was for black lives matter..... Was this discussion about football players... was this discussion about Kapernick? or was it about black kids getting shot in the street and other black people feeling intimidated? I would say it was the former..... So, spend your time elsewhere where it might do more good.... Go talk to a high school - to kids that you feel are at risk...or put your money where your mouth is and create some sort of group to get the message out to police and to kids in the streets so they know - they are not above the law... a cop says stop.... stop.... a cop says put your hands up - put your hands up..... Yes - there have been some F' ups that have just out-right shot people ... but in most cases .. it is - cop says 'stop' - they just keep walking or whatever.... not something that deserves your life by no means ... but - in most of the cases I have seen - a cop gives a command - and that command is disobeyed or there is a struggle or whatever.... That goes to the mis-trust and dis-respect of the police by the urban black people involved in these altercations and possibly a higher than average possibility of a bad result when someone doesn't follow a cop's order.... I know there is bigotry... I know there are cops that are in a war zone with mostly black individuals in bad areas... So, I would say time better spent or money better spent creating groups to help educate on both sides of the fence.... There is no need to be front and center of attention... just do something right and good to help your belief.... This is just lazy as far as I'm concerned.... just my two cents...

timm

I think you are completely missing the point of my statement

It is a free country and it is their right to protest whether you, or anyone, agree with their cause and method of protest.....or not. (I am talking about lawful peaceful protest of course)

It is, of course, OK to disagree with their protest and how they expressed it.

However, if these sportsmen suffer due to their protest i.e lose their job or money, get harassed etc. Isn't that an example of their freedom being undermined?

Isn't peoples freedom to express grievances, to disagree, to protest, what these symbols i.e flag and anthem are meant to represent?

As I said before, it seems many people appear to love the symbols of their nation but seem to forget (or ignore) their true meaning.

Last edited:
Hmm. Well here was the point of mine. I understand yours. Anyone can protest, yell, whine etc... What are the results of that? Have you affected change or have you become a distraction? My point was if they care ...if these millionaires care - then do something positive to help your cause. Anyone can march, protest ...whatever. What is the end result? Some false personal satisfaction that they 'did something'?

timm

I have a question for you.

If these 'millionaires' suffer in any way due to their protest, for example to losing their job or losing sponsor-ships or getting harassed or lots of online hate.

Has that hindered or enhanced the cause of freedom?

The freedom symbolized by the flag and national anthem.

Last edited:
timm

I have a question for you.

If these 'millionaires' suffer in any way due to their protest, for example to losing their job or losing sponsor-ships or getting harassed or lots of online hate.

Has that hindered or enhanced the cause of freedom?

The freedom symbolized by the flag and national anthem.

It has hindered in my eyes,

I won't answer for timm but, I will say...sure, express your right to say and feel how you want, just do not expect most folks who pay you all the money to Respect YOU any more, that is OUR/MY right. The world has changed, if you do not like what happens here in the United States of America...Go on get out!! F U!!!

Especially when the comments I've heard make this SF QB sound like one of the most uneducated idiots I've heard in a long time. Yeah, I know his story, abandoned by his family, taken in my a kind, loving one that gave him an education...apparently he is not a learner by any stretch of the means...

Every other NFL player is just another idiot jumping on the race card bandwagon. It's about people, orange/purple/mauve/whatever the hell they are. Gray is the new Black btw!!

Back