CLS Buyer's Guide - What Should I Look For?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Howdy, folks. New member, registered to ask a couple questions.

I have a deal pending on a set of CLS's, which the present owner claims were upgraded to the 'MK2' (I presume he means the electronics are CLSII either A or Z) but he was unsure of which, and also states that the panels are 715 series indicating replacements. The serial numbers I was given are CS1HI715 (stator panel) and electronics 2503/2502. The stators do seem to be the newer generation, with the spars closer on the top than toward the bottom, but that's about the only thing I know so far.

I'm hoping that someone here can let me know if anything seems "fuhgazy" about what I'm being told. It's a lot of money to make a mistake.

So...
- What do I look for in a decent set to avoid a ’lemon’?
- What is the difference in characteristics between ’generations’ of CLS (I IIa, IIz...)
- How can I identify which generation of CLS I’m dealing with, and how important is it?
- Would there be any concern about age of panels, or if the panels are replacements?
- Would you recommend a different model of ML speaker, and if so - which one, and why?

My current equipment is:
McIntosh C28 (presently in use)
Krell KRC-3 (inbound...)
Bryston 4BST
Dahlquist DQ10
Polk PSW650

I hope to replace the DQ10s in favor of the Logan’s, but it’s helpful to know what I’m getting into beforehand, to avoid a costly mistake.

Thanks so much in advance!

If its from Royal Oak MI I would run from these as the owner is a flake having talked to him and they are supposed to have been upgraded but they look suspect.. I talked to this individual having had CLS and know a lot about them and was not confidant that he was forthright. Not to mention the frames have been refinished and are not original.. THAT IS IF THESE ARE THE SAID PAIR but what you described was his and i would steer CLEAR .. better deals and old panels are not gonna hold water !

There is a pair in Nebraska that they will deliver anywhere in the USA for 500 not bad as freight is at that I just shipped Odysseys

Any panel in the 700 series was a replacement at one time. That dont mean a thing as they could have been replaced in 96 for all you know.. They can work great for days or years no one knows as its a crap shoot. When NOT if they do go out its $2900 for new panels.. There are better clear spar new old style that will not go bad as fast as the newer vapor depositing is much more stable.. I know where a set of Prodigy's are for a steal ..I passed because I wanted Odyssey's and got them at a steal..

The latter 2z are the easiest to drive. The 1a IMHO are the best sounding but you better have a beast of an amp.. Albeit a great speaker its a dinosaur that if you want to make Jurasic park in your room you can but be ready for disaster WHEN panels go out or Transformers as NO one really is a guru on these .Many have tried with half the results ..

Last edited:

To avoid a lemon first listen to the lead colored replacement panels for distortion at high though not too high amplifier volume.
In addition very important that replacement stators match with electronic box.

CLS 1 easiest to drive followed by CLS2z. CLS2z easier to drive than CLS 2 or CLS2A. CLS2z has greater power handling capability than CLS 1. Therefore CLS2z requires more powerful amp than CLS 1.
CLS 2 and CLS2A are both very difficult to drive. Make most amps clip and if not clip then highs sound rolled off.

Please post a picture of stators for us to visually verify the model. In addition please state complete serial number for us to decode and determine manufacture period.
OR, Visit the ML website. Search under legacy products for ML CLS models. Then visually determine and verify the stator model. Important to know stator panel model because speaker will not function properly unless connected to matching electronics box.

Listen before you buy. Age of panels would be issue if product is CLS 1 and the panels are beyond replacement age, approx. 15 years. If this is the case replacement of panels will be required.
Everything is okay if panels match with electronics and have replacement panels that are few years in age. Seller will charge a higher price if the CLS in question has replacement panels. Original stators color black and replacement panel color dark grey.

I would not recommend purchase of CLS 2 or CLS 2A. Reason requires a quality very high current amplifier that is relatively expensive. On the market these days if you intend to buy CLS 2 or 2A is the Sanders ESL amp. This amplifier is best buy for the above loudspeakers. The impedance of the above 2 models falls to 0.7 ohms at high frequency. Bryston 4Bst may sound rolled off in the highs and may also clip when high volume is desired.
I would first recommend the CLS2z with replacement panels. And second recommend the CLS 1 version 2 with matching replacement panels.

If its from Royal Oak MI I would run from these as the owner is a flake...

There is a pair in Nebraska that they will deliver anywhere in the USA for 500 not bad as freight is at that I just shipped Odysseys
Yep, that's the set, alright. Fortunately I got some good advice in time to prevent a bad purchase. I was ready to drive 9 hours each way, but fortunately I bailed out.

In addition please state complete serial number for us to decode and determine manufacture period...
Bryston 4Bst may sound rolled off in the highs and may also clip when high volume is desired.
I did in fact include the serial number in the original post, but no matter - I bailed on the deal when I started getting bad vibes. So, you think that 250watts per side isn't enough? I've been told the Brystons have great headroom, so I figured it'd be OK. I guess I'll just have to take it easy.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to 'suffer' with my Dahlquist DQ10s for now.

Thanks to all for your help. Great info!

Complete serial number is a seven digit code that contains three separate items of information relating to speaker manufacture.
For example CLS 1 version 2 serial number may be CE – 8812013 and CE - 8812014
88 is the year of the manufacture i.e 1988.
12 is the month and decodes to December.
013 and 014 are the numbers given to the speakers manufactured during December 1988. That is the 13th and 14th loudspeaker produced during December.

250 watts per side is more than enough for CLS 1 and adequate for CLS2z.
The smaller Bryston power amps not like the impedance at high frequencies to fall below 2 ohms.
CLS 2 and CLS2A have a resistance to ampere flow measured at 0.7 ohms at around 18khz or 20khz.
Therefore these 2 CLS models may result in 4BST to clip or if not clip then to sound dull with high frequencies rolled off.
The above is just my subjective opinion based on what I have read over the years and therefore understand to be true.

Back