Looking to upgrade to the 35XTs for my front speakers - thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DH1972

Reaction score
I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading my Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55s to the ML XT35s. All three used for my front speakers which are tilted and mounted below my front projection screen (see image).

Specifically, I am looking for clearer, better sounding dialogue. I feel the fullness and dynamic range is good with the Def Techs, but the dialogue clarity could be better as could some of the highs. I think the type of tweeter used in the XT35s would be beneficial.

I have a 15" HSU VTF sub and four surrounds (Def Tech ProMonitor 1000s - but if I get the XT35s I will replace my four ProMonitors likely with two Motion FXs). I have to stick with bookshelfs for my fronts because my screen is nearly as wide as my wall and I want to keep the image immersion.

My room is a little bigger than 10 feet wide x 12 feet long with 8 foot ceilings and enclosed.

I'm using a Denon X3000 receiver and my set-up has been (and will be) calibrated with the Audyssey Pro (done by my audio/video calibrator).

These will continue to be used 100% of the time for movies.

Will this be a worthwhile upgrade in your opinion?

Thanks!

room pic.jpg

For bookshelf speakers, you can try looking at the ELAC B6 or modified X-LS Encore from GR Research. I am using the original AV123 X-LS Encores as my computer monitors and they sound more smooth to me than the XT35's.

Chances are will be a worthwhile upgrade. Though i am not familiar with your existing studio monitors by Definitive.

I would also consider recent maggie model 0.7. Three 0.7's. Left, center and right.

Only little additional expense beyond funds required for ML Motion 35XT.

However the Maggie's need powerful amplification to sound best. With your Denon amplifier/receiver ML may be the better option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back