Odyssey's on the way here ! Back in the stats!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
After some long hard debates with my self I have came to a conclusion. I purchased a set of nice Odyssey's that will be hear in 10 days. I was looking at the Prodigy as There is a set that I was going to jump on and the price was outstanding to say the least. However having heard them many times for long duration s. (A friend had them prior to his now CLX). I just could not fathom them fitting into my room as well. They are great speakers but are BIG, and like big rooms. They are power hungry more so than the odyssey.. Albeit they were great, the bass was not room moving.. and they were run with a Krell 400cx..

I am sure the odysseys are not far off but what I did want was a room friendly speaker as I did not have a 24 x 30 room. Its not a small room, but having my old CLS the bigger panels they need more room to bloom that ML stage . Im sure it will be a welcome wagon for my ears as they have grown tired of the Vandersteen 2ce head in vice sound.. Bass and mid bass is great but sibilants and vice stage become tiring.. I like the svelte look of the Odysseys. as well as the half the cost to buy new panels, (god forbid I need to soon).. I have settled on a Krell ksa 100s that is so warm and better to my ears than my older Krell fpb 300c.. Its a 100 watt PURE class A doubling down to 1ohm staying Class A. Krell kps25sc Pre/DAC and CD player all in one will handle my other duties.. AS WELL AS A TT now.. YUP ! I spin the vinyl now.. love the old Tony Matolla stuff

Now many say , why not get new ? Well, one, the used market allows your dollar to go a LONG way,To get to that level new is almost 4 to 5 times the cost.. .. Two, I have heard the Summit X as well as the CLX with twin depth subs and know what the sounds are. CLX and twin subs are out of budget and space.. Summits YOU say! Just not my cup of tea for the dollar.. Great speakers indeed but looks wise and sound wise more importantly they are just not for me.. This is a subjective hobby..

All you Odyssey owners have any tips or words of advice, do chime in ! Pics will fallow when I receive them

Great news Chris , as Adam say's, looking forward to pics of your 'renewed' set up !

Did you end up with the Odysseys that were originally for sale in Las Vegas and then the owner moved to Idaho (I think)? Those were a steal if they are. At the time, the owner didn't want to ship.

Are you in the same house or did you move? Can't wait for pictures.

Last edited:
where there's a will there's a way ! Im not in the same house. But I have a nice room per say. not quite as big or dedicated as my last as my choice to the Odyssey and forgo the Prodigy.. Pics will come when I receive them !

After some long hard debates with my self I have came to a conclusion. I purchased a set of nice Odyssey's that will be hear in 10 days. I was looking at the Prodigy as There is a set that I was going to jump on and the price was outstanding to say the least. However having heard them many times for long duration s. (A friend had them prior to his now CLX). I just could not fathom them fitting into my room as well. They are great speakers but are BIG, and like big rooms. They are power hungry more so than the odyssey.. Albeit they were great, the bass was not room moving.. and they were run with a Krell 400cx..

I am sure the odysseys are not far off but what I did want was a room friendly speaker as I did not have a 24 x 30 room. Its not a small room, but having my old CLS the bigger panels they need more room to bloom that ML stage . Im sure it will be a welcome wagon for my ears as they have grown tired of the Vandersteen 2ce head in vice sound.. Bass and mid bass is great but sibilants and vice stage become tiring.. I like the svelte look of the Odysseys. as well as the half the cost to buy new panels, (god forbid I need to soon).. I have settled on a Krell ksa 100s that is so warm and better to my ears than my older Krell fpb 300c.. Its a 100 watt PURE class A doubling down to 1ohm staying Class A. Krell kps25sc Pre/DAC and CD player all in one will handle my other duties.. AS WELL AS A TT now.. YUP ! I spin the vinyl now.. love the old Tony Matolla stuff

Now many say , why not get new ? Well, one, the used market allows your dollar to go a LONG way,To get to that level new is almost 4 to 5 times the cost.. .. Two, I have heard the Summit X as well as the CLX with twin depth subs and know what the sounds are. CLX and twin subs are out of budget and space.. Summits YOU say! Just not my cup of tea for the dollar.. Great speakers indeed but looks wise and sound wise more importantly they are just not for me.. This is a subjective hobby..

All you Odyssey owners have any tips or words of advice, do chime in ! Pics will fallow when I receive them

Hey congrats!! I have had my odysseys for awhile bought new. I bought a descent along the way as well. The descent stays very low volume wise. I have thought about new in the next year but find no reason to get rid of mine for all the reasons u mention. Personally I like to get the panel 6' off the front wall. I also have a couple of GIK 244s in the corner. Have fun!!

Hola Chris, and those are wonderfull news! Congratulations!!! It's one of the ML speakers that has less color sound. Very dynamic and outstanding, huge sound stage. You are in the right track!,
Enjoy!
Roberto.

Hope C.A.P you will be satisfied with replacement for CLS1. Big shoes to fill.

The Magneplanar 3.7i seems to me a good replacement for CLS1.

In addition, I would also consider reduced price Montis.

Have fun listening to music!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CAP! How did it go with the Odysseys? I ask because I just snagged a brand new set(open box never used) to replace my ReQuest. I did a quick adjustment and setup with them last night, with the feet still on sliders. Wow! Crystal clear, beautiful Logan sound. I forgot how good a new ML can sound, not even broke in, yet.
I am struggling with one aspect of them, though...the lack of fullness compared to the ReQuest. I have a HUGE room and the ReQuest filled them up soundwise, with ease. I feel that I have to keep feeding the Odysseys with more power to get close to the big sound that I got from my ReQuest panels.

Anyway, I saw that you just grabbed a set of Odysseys not too long ago, so I'm looking for your thoughts after living with them a few weeks.

P.S. Where did you see the Prodigys??

Well I can tell you this. I have not had a chance to get their full potential as my Krell KPS25sc CD/Pre Amp.. is getting upgrades.. I have however ran a cheaper Sony with a Variable out direct to my Krell ksa 100s and they are amazing. Better far so than my ReQuests.. Bass is amazing but I think the Krell helps there.. These older Krells are regarded by many as their best series.. Tight Big bass and softer tube Mids.. Its much better than my Newer FPB 300c I sold.. The sound stage is as big as my old CLS and placement Great. I have not spiked mine yet.. If yours are new they will need 40 hrs to break in and they will bloom much better than the ReQuests .. With that sunfire you should be getting much better bass on the Odyssey.. Thats a Krell Trade mark.. BASS control..

WHERE DID YOU FIND A NEW SET ?

I have a sunfire cinema signature and I biamp using 4 channels on my odysseys. They sound fantastic. Make sure the switch on the back is set to flat so that you are not attenuating any bass. I fiddled with speaker position for quite awhile. 5-6' from the front wall to the panel I find works well if you can accommodate that.

Well I can tell you this. I have not had a chance to get their full potential as my Krell KPS25sc CD/Pre Amp.. is getting upgrades.. I have however ran a cheaper Sony with a Variable out direct to my Krell ksa 100s and they are amazing. Better far so than my ReQuests.. Bass is amazing but I think the Krell helps there.. These older Krells are regarded by many as their best series.. Tight Big bass and softer tube Mids.. Its much better than my Newer FPB 300c I sold.. The sound stage is as big as my old CLS and placement Great. I have not spiked mine yet.. If yours are new they will need 40 hrs to break in and they will bloom much better than the ReQuests .. With that sunfire you should be getting much better bass on the Odyssey.. Thats a Krell Trade mark.. BASS control..

WHERE DID YOU FIND A NEW SET ?

Nice, love the KSA's..I've almost pulled the trigger on a used one three or four times now, but opted against it for some reason. I'm finding the more I listen to these Odyssey's the more I like them. I'm not putting my ReQuest up for sale until I'm 110% sure..I love them (ReQuest) that much! I'm going to give it a week of listening before I make the decision.
I found this amazing pair of Odysseys on Ebay..a guy in San Diego put them up on a 2 day auction, I immediately contacted him and offered him a price, then drove over to Cali to pick them up the next morning.. a dealer has had them stored for years after he didn't sell them due to new model line and newer inventory pushed them to the back. They are the ClearSpar technology which is a bonus. It was eerie opening them up and unboxing the grill covers and opening the bag with the new/old power cord. Like a time capsule.

Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.. If you see a pair of nice looking ReQuests with oak rails up for sale, you'll know..haha!
Where did you see the Prodigys??
Dan

Last edited:
I have a sunfire cinema signature and I biamp using 4 channels on my odysseys. They sound fantastic. Make sure the switch on the back is set to flat so that you are not attenuating any bass. I fiddled with speaker position for quite awhile. 5-6' from the front wall to the panel I find works well if you can accommodate that.

I don't have my Signature 400/7, anymore. I'm running my Cinema Grand that a bought in 1996. I had it refurbished last year, it sounds like new again. However, Ive been looking for a good 2 channel to run my ReQuests (now Odysseys if they stay)and use the Sunfire for surround duty.

The Prodigy I had a line on was in Chicago.. I also had a line on a pair in Buffalo that had new panels..
I was not really wanting them but was gonna settle as Odyssey were rare.. I would LOVE a BRAND new pair.. Odyssey fit my room better and I like the slimmer look. I spent a lot of time in front of Prodigy's as a close friend had them.. I Do love the KSA /ML combo.. The KSA was great on t he Vandersteens also..

What rails do your Odyssey have? I have light oak and can live with them but would like something other. 30 years of Hardwood flooring industry OAK is not my go to..

I wish you were not worlds away ReQuests I come across fairly regular ..

I have the black oak rails on the Odysseys. My ReQuest have the light oak rails, which was a nice change from the black oak on my first pair. Just bought a new house last year and it has a lot of wood accents. The light oak blended well. The Prodigy's are still on CL in Chicago, didn't see any in Buffalo. With new panels they probably didn't sit long.
I need to figure out a way to stop panel slippage on these Odyssey's, I see that trait on most all used ones.

Dan

call martin Logan they will ship you a set of brackets for free.. They are not that easy to put in as the panels need to be taken out of the rails.. Its a BEAR to unsnap the plastic frame, be very careful as they want to break at the beginning and ML does not have them if I recall.. at least mine were and the holes are not dead on match . They have to come out before you can re align as there is rubber gaskets that hold it tight . How it slips in the first place is beyond me but the soft gaskets form to the holes in the stat panel and will not slide up without taking them out.. I JUST DID THIS ! Not fun!

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like fun. My panels haven't moved yet, obviously, I would just like to be proactive with it. Do I have to remove the plastic strips to place the bracket or is that only necessary to move the panels back up into place?

BTW; I like the black rails better, too.

Dan

my odyssey panels have never moved for whatever that is worth.... I have never had this issue.....That story on the non-used odysseys is amazing..... I really don't think mine sound any different now than when I first got them many years ago.... I have taken good care of them .... vacuum so often... no smoking environment.... good humidity settings in the room..... No pets near them.... Have also been driving them with a rated 850 on the panel and 850 on the woofer ... so no worries about clipping either....

There is only 1 other speaker that made me consider moving them... and right now - I don't think I would ever sell them because the high value in sound vs the dollars I could get for them is stupid.....

Yeah, it was totally unbelievable. I thought the guy was lying until I got there to see it for myself. It was intriguing enough for my wife and I to drive 800 mi round trip the next day to confirm. Everything was still in plastic and factory sealed. I was beyond giddy! The spikes are still sitting in their plastic and in the styrofoam until I get them placed correctly.

This guy has a plethora of extremely high end pieces and cables for sale. Needless to say, I have a new contact.

Dan

Last edited:
Back