System #515 (Monolith lllP)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricalan

Reaction score
1. Richard Y

2. St. Pete. Florida

3. Monolith lllP

4. 2004

5. 2006 ACI SV-12 woofer replacement.
2010 new stat panels.

6. Audio Research CD7 CD player
Audio Research Reference 3 preamp
Pass X250.5 power amp
Shunyata Hydra (models 2 & 4) power conditioners
Shunyata, Nordost and van den Hul power cords
Nordost Quattro Fil single-ended interconnects
Transparent speaker tails

7. My first experience with electrostatics was Quads in the early 70s. Amazing, but not compatible with my taste for Rock. The answer was a hybrid by RTR made up of their dynamic model 280DR and an electrostatic top cabinet called ESR15. It was glorious; thundering bass and open highs. I had the set for over 25 years. Martin Logan was not well represented in Cleveland, Ohio. After I relocated to Florida I kind of lived under a rock till Y2K when a friend took me to Audio Vision in Tampa, who handled ML. I had an epiphany. In 2004 I found my holy grail, the Monoliths.

In 2006 another dealer told me about this site. I searched and read about the woofer update by JonFo (many thanks).

In 2010, when I changed from transistor to tube front end, I decided new panels were in order.

Now, I finally decided to come out of the weeds and become a contributing member.

Attachments

• 9-2-16c.jpg
    9-2-16c.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
Richard, thanks for 'coming out of the weeds' with your nice set up !

In 2006 another dealer told me about this site. I searched and read about the woofer update by JonFo (many thanks).

Very welcome on multiple fronts. Glad to see all that posting has helped a few others.

Nice setup!

Have you considered bi-amping or going full-active on the xover? You will not believe the difference that an active crossover can make on these speakers.

Impressive setup! BTW, you're smack in the neighborhood of our local Suncoast Audiophile Society. See link in my sig.

Alan.jpg Does this look familiar? I was a member about 7 years ago. The drive from the far side of St. Pete, was my problem. Being retired now, I'd like to try again. I remember really looking forward to hearing your Summits, but there was too much conversation that night.

Last edited:
Ha! Hope you'll check us out again! Side conversations tend to dominate at our monthly meetings, so I'm planning to host a (smaller scale) listening session with my new Expressions later this month, once fully broken in.

Hi Jonathan,

Consider bi-amping with an active crossover? I saw that coming. Yes I am considering, but it’s quite a financial leap of faith. Two new sets of speaker cables (I’m bi-wiring); another set of interconnects; more power cords (I’m playing the retired-guy-on-fixed-income card). The agony and ecstasy of choosing a panel amp. And oh, the question of crossover make and model. This is my area of complete ignorance. But it’s a hobby, so onward and upward. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Back