Back from theDEAD ! Im on the hunt for some logans again !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Back from the DEAD ! Im on the hunt for some logans again !

Hello all new and old friends ! Its been a while since I have been on and posted. I never left, I just left my Logan's (or the left me) and took a break from all forums as life took me away and I did not have anything about ML to put forth.

Most of you who remember me know I was a ML ardent fan.. I had my beloved CLS for a while but age and several moves and life's hurricanes had me away. I am back in as all storms pass and it is sunny again. Currently I have Vandersteen 2ce and like them . best bass from a cone I have heard.They are good but still a cone and finicky one as they are 1rst order x over .. Placement is key.. 1/4 inch can ruin the stage..

I am in the market for some ML sound. I do not want anything that is to old as panel replacement has went through the roof since ML merged with Paradigm ..(Forced extinction for new sales)
Anyway I am looking at the likes of Odyssey, Ascent i or even some new Theos. What ever I get will have new clear spars .. remember I had CLS and am used to a big stage and image

For those who know I would like your input on these . I have a Krell ksa100s (100wtts class A doubling down to 1 ohm ALL class A )and my beloved KPS25sc to run them with..

Lots of new names here and I see a few old ones !

Last edited:
Welcome back !

Lots of great deals from our forum supporting vendor 'DeVinci Media' ......,.. check 'em out !

Good to see you are still here.

I thought about you last week as my wife and I have been in Detroit for 3 weeks, helping a niece work on and move into a house.
No music for that time and I was driving down Woodward looking hoping to get a glimpse of an audio store and thought I wonder where CAP lives and is his system still listenable.
We left there this morning and are in route home.

Hope you find new ML's soon.

I second Dave's suggestion of DaVinci Media.

Chris,
I've also been away for quite some time. My Ascents are also gone due to life's ups and downs. I'd like some newish Logan's again too, however, I'm realistically a year or two away provided some can't pass up deal falls in my lap. I still keep in touch with Jim regularly. He moved, had a few kids and sold off his system too. How's Ken doing? George too? The Mich contingency should get together again.

Bob

Hello Dave and the old guard. I know DaVinci is great , been der ..

Good to see you are still here.

I thought about you last week as my wife and I have been in Detroit for 3 weeks, helping a niece work on and move into a house.
No music for that time and I was driving down Woodward looking hoping to get a glimpse of an audio store and thought I wonder where CAP lives and is his system still listenable.
We left there this morning and are in route home.

Hope you find new ML's soon.

That makes my heart feel good someone was thinking of me .. THANKS brad !

I second Dave's suggestion of DaVinci Media.

Chris,
I've also been away for quite some time. My Ascents are also gone due to life's ups and downs. I'd like some newish Logan's again too, however, I'm realistically a year or two away provided some can't pass up deal falls in my lap. I still keep in touch with Jim regularly. He moved, had a few kids and sold off his system too. How's Ken doing? George too? The Mich contingency should get together again.

Bob

Krupp , whats up? Ken is doing fine . I still keep contact regularly with him and go listen to his CLX . as well as new amps and subs. How have you been? Still in Rochester?
I miss the old days of yesteryear but new and better are ahead of us..

Did you like the Ascent? I would like Odyssey as the fit my room. Prodigy are on my mind too. I am back into it hard with a vinyl fever now. It was a black 12 inch disc that got me back and my beloved KPS 25sc that I will go to my grave with that opened my ears again.
I have 3 TT and some great carts and compare them to my world class 4 dac KRELL unit , I get a pretty good idea of how it should or can sound..

Funny thing is it took me back to vintage receivers and old horns as well as //// DID I SAY HORNS.. YES! I tried Klipsch and the best way I found to run them was set them up and get them perfectly matched and run the speaker cables just long enough to NOT reach the speakers.. I did find older JBL and Alnicho drivers unique. Nothing can play it like a Logan

Last edited:
Krupp , whats up? Ken is doing fine . I still keep contact regularly with him and go listen to his CLX . as well as new amps and subs. How have you been? Still in Rochester?
I miss the old days of yesteryear but new and better are ahead of us..

Did you like the Ascent? I would like Odyssey as the fit my room. Prodigy are on my mind too. I am back into it hard with a vinyl fever now. It was a black 12 inch disc that got me back and my beloved KPS 25sc that I will go to my grave with that opened my ears again.
I have 3 TT and some great carts and compare them to my world class 4 dac KRELL unit , I get a pretty good idea of how it should or can sound..

Funny thing is it took me back to vintage receivers and old horns as well as //// DID I SAY HORNS.. YES! I tried Klipsch and the best way I found to run them was set them up and get them perfectly matched and run the speaker cables just long enough to NOT reach the speakers.. I did find older JBL and Alnicho drivers unique. Nothing can play it like a Logan

What's up? Work, work, work, work, kids and getting older.

Glad to hear Ken is doing well. It's been a long time since our last get together.

My Ascents. Yes, I liked them. I learned a few things about them while I had them. First, got lucky enough to own a Modwright LS100 tube pre-amp. By far the most significant sound changing upgrade to my system. I literally was in Heaven listing to my system. Second, my man-space sucks for good sound. I finally was able to invest in a bunch of acoustic treatments, which helped a lot, however, my listening position is in a low freq null. When I delivered my speakers to their new owner and helped set them up, I realized how much more low end the Ascents were capable of in a different setting. The Ascents and the Modwright are gone and I'm getting by with some Audioengine A5+ bookshelfs and a Rythmik F15HP sub. Meh, it is what it is. Trying to set up a mid-fi head phone set up. Got a Schiit Valhalla tube head pre, had some Sennheiser HD650 cans. Looking to get some Oppo PM-3.

I've been looking at Odysseys and Prodigies on a not so serious level. There were some nice Odysseys for sale in Las Vegas for $1550, which is obviously too far to drive for me. Prodigies I've seen as low as $2500 in Louisiana, again too far to road trip. Don't really know why I'm looking as I can't spend the money yet.

I do miss the old days too.

Hi there Tom, long time no talk. Hows retirement treating ya?

Kruppy, George ever get that planer speaker up and going?

I was searching for odyssey and Prodigies and they are scarce.. IF anyone knows where some are I will travel road trip

I still really like my odysseys here in Ann Arbor !! :). The price/performance ratio is off the charts.

HMMMM not heard them. Heard the Summits a while back. Im used to large panel stats. I get the pleasure of listening to CLX regularly. Hows the bass on the Theos.
The older models like the Prodigies or Odyssey are what I heard before the Summit and that narrow panel ! Remember I had CLS and they are big wide stage

Theos does not compare in any way to a CLX, sorry. If you can swing it the Montis is the way to go, thats going for $5995 now. Honestly, will probably be out of standard finishes within the week.

Thanks fellas ! I settled on a mint pair of Odyssey's .. They are in transit .. I rarely buy new as I like to save on the immediate depreciation.. Plus I like the ability to power my own bass units .

Thanks fellas ! I settled on a mint pair of Odyssey's .. They are in transit .. I rarely buy new as I like to save on the immediate depreciation.. Plus I like the ability to power my own bass units .
Did they land yet? I want to hear your impressions. The odysseys are great and will disappear once u get them away from the front wall.

The Eagle has landed !

I have limited ability to use them as my Pre/CD krell unit is at the factory for WELL, being a Krell..:( I may go get a local craigslist and get a Denon cd player with a variable out to hook up to my amp to play them.. I DID TEST THEM WITH A RECEIVER AND ALL UNITS WORK.. Whats amazing is the bass and I haven't even hooked up my Krell amp..

Pics will come soon ...

I have limited ability to use them as my Pre/CD krell unit is at the factory for WELL, being a Krell..:( I may go get a local craigslist and get a Denon cd player with a variable out to hook up to my amp to play them.. I DID TEST THEM WITH A RECEIVER AND ALL UNITS WORK.. Whats amazing is the bass and I haven't even hooked up my Krell amp..

Pics will come soon ...

Yes I do like the odysseys better than your old ascent. Lower mids have a bit more warmth. And yes bass is better. I added the descent awhile back as it just lays out a nice foundation and doesn't get in the way at all. Whether I really needed to do that is debatable. But hey. I like it. :). Oh wait maybe u didn't have the ascent as I see the CLS in your sig.

Looking forward to pics. of new Odyssey loudspeakers.

Just out of curiousity what happened to CLS loudspeakers now that you have replaced them?

Hope the Odyssey give you just as much if not greater satisfaction than CLS.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back,

I own Odyssey's as well as a friend of mine who bought some after hearing mine. I think you will love the sound once your equipment is back.

Latest posts

Back