Listening in Florida sucks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Today is the 3rd day this week I tried to listen to music here in Florida and got shut down my rain storm and lightning.

Afternoon thunderstorms are normal for us here during the summer but I have had little enough seat time lately as it is.

Oh well at least there is a Nascar race on. :)

Today is the 3rd day this week I tried to listen to music here in Florida and got shut down my rain storm and lightning.

Afternoon thunderstorms are normal for us here during the summer but I have had little enough seat time lately as it is.

Oh well at least there is a Nascar race on. :)

and an NHRA event from Bandimere as well, about to head into the fuel finals right now ..........

Yep, happens here in Queensland in summer too.

I share your exasperation. Even if the storms aren't severe enough to induce a full shutdown, the noise sure does interfere with the listening experience.

And the humidity makes the ES panels sound ratsh1t. After a few days of rain, the air con can get the house below about 60%.

Out of curiosity, what is the ideal humidity for ES panels to sound their best?

The ideal humidity for a human is around 40-50%.

During the summer I typically have 50-53% in my house. During the Winter it gets down to about 36% during the colder months with my whole house humidifier. It's enough that I don't get a shock when I flip a light switch or a spark when I pet a cat.

If only you could harness the wasted energy/heat from your tube monoblocks, and convert to electricity to charge the Tesla PowerWall!
That, plus solar panels, and your audio setup could be entirely self sufficient! :rocker:

I've been thinking maybe I could grill very lean meats over them but, I still have a couple of bugs to work out.

The heat thing is an endless circle. 1300 watts of heater running and I need 1 Ton of AC just to break even. To say nothing of summer temps.

The only enjoyment, other than the music is each time I turn them of I know Al Gore twitches some where in the world.

I've been thinking maybe I could grill very lean meats over them but, I still have a couple of bugs to work out.

The heat thing is an endless circle. 1300 watts of heater running and I need 1 Ton of AC just to break even. To say nothing of summer temps.

The only enjoyment, other than the music is each time I turn them of I know Al Gore twitches some where in the world.

Kerry has been lambasted recently because of his comments about AC and refrigerators, however those two items account for 28% of our electricity production and the US which is only 4.5% of the world's population uses 18% of the power generated. The issue is that as the rest of the world catches up we will be burning massive amounts more coal, oil, NG etc.. and forgetting CO2, the pollution alone will have a huge impact.

Sadly the world population needs to be cut in half and maintained at that level if want to have any chance of keeping our current biosystem alive. The Earth will move on without us and has enough time to develop new biosystems after we kill this one. We need to manage ourselves like the deer in the forests that are overpopulated because there are not enough hunters to keep them in check if we want to survive as a species.

No politician will touch that hot potato with a 10 ft pole. It is far easier to downplay the impact we are having or suggest that God wouldn't let us destroy ourselves.

Sadly the world population needs to be cut in half and maintained at that level if want to have any chance of keeping our current biosystem alive.

Absolutely! Only because of technology (modern farming practices, pumping of water, etc) is the world able to support the population it has today. There is no way that this level of population would be even 1/4 way possible with traditional living techniques.

The world is simply not designed for the population.

Absolutely! Only because of technology (modern farming practices, pumping of water, etc) is the world able to support the population it has today. There is no way that this level of population would be even 1/4 way possible with traditional living techniques.

The world is simply not designed for the population.

FYI, NASA developed a technology for efficient CO2 scrubbing by microbes in a tank. The microbes can than be processed to produce protein and a palm oil like product.

It is supposed to be 10,000 x more efficient than growing soybeans and it can be done in the dark, in the middle of cities etc... It starts producing product within hours and runs 24x7.

Now if you can sell the world on eating microbial protein bars :)

It's interesting that this was designed for long space flights in a closed bio-system and now they are looking at the earth as a closed bio-system the needs CO2 scrubbing.

Last edited:
FYI, NASA developed a technology for efficient CO2 scrubbing by microbes in a tank. The microbes can than be processed to produce protein and a palm oil like product.

It is supposed to be 10,000 x more efficient than growing soybeans and it can be done in the dark, in the middle of cities etc... It starts producing product within hours and runs 24x7.

Now if you can sell the world on eating microbial protein bars :)

It's interesting that this was designed for long space flights in a closed bio-system and now they are looking at the earth as a closed bio-system the needs CO2 scrubbing.

I'd bet you could get the starving populations in Africa, So. America, Asia, not to mention those hungry in the first world, to eat them. It's amazing what hungry people will eat!

Back