What speaker wires do you use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaker wire

Mine are so old they have hair growing off them, still sound nice tho. Looking to get some from Roger Sanders to be the best I can get from the amp/speaker interface!

I'm using sanders speaker cable and think it sounds great, especially designed for electrostatic speakers like the summits! I think he might have a return policy! U should call him a very interesting person to talk to, he has a boat load of information!

I'm using sanders speaker cable and think it sounds great, especially designed for electrostatic speakers like the summits! I think he might have a return policy! U should call him a very interesting person to talk to, he has a boat load of information!

I agree that Mr. Sanders is a very interesting person to talk to through email. He is very knowledgeable in his field. I was in email correspondence when I had plans to buy one of his stereo power amplifiers. Unfortunately the transaction could not materialize. I later purchased Anthem MCA 225 from a authorized dealer in Pakistan.

Both, Anthem, I know from experience, and Sanders amplifiers, I have read, are, is my opinion, high quality fine sounding amplifiers, one of the best at their respective price points.

Hi, Bernard. I believe Roger has never actively promoted his cables so you may have to call him up.

If you are skilled enough to DIY, he uses Mogami 3082 coax :)

Where do you buy them? They are not on his product or price lists.

Thanks very much Bernard for asking this question for I had the same query in mind.

Pneumonic, Bernard is a electronics expert. Bernard built a excellent DAC from separate components. Very neat and clean solder work. Believe me preparing speaker cables is easy work for him.

Both of you have fun listening to music.

Pneumonic what model of CLSes do you listen to? And what preamp do you use with them?

I have a question that is important to me. Please if you could let me know whether a good idea to replace panels when CLS loudspeaker is 28 years old? Possible to know whether other CLS electronic components will fail when new panel installed? How much difference will new panels make?

Thanks very much in advance for your answers.

Pneumonic what model of CLSes do you listen to? And what preamp do you use with them?

I have a question that is important to me. Please if you could let me know whether a good idea to replace panels when CLS loudspeaker is 28 years old? Possible to know whether other CLS electronic components will fail when new panel installed? How much difference will new panels make?

Thanks very much in advance for your answers.
CLSII. I use a Muse 1 preamp at the moment.

As for panel ..... http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14297-Old-panels-now-performing-as-new-again

And thank you all as well about the Sanders speaker wires info!! I have several buds who have spoken with him on the phone, he is quite the man! my plan is to speak with him when I get my tax refund next year. I'm a little nervous tho, I've talked to a couple of the big men in audio in my half century on this planet and seem to get tongue tied Haha!

I'm sure he is as wonderful as my friends say he is, and just might tell me my beloved SAE A1001 is not the amp to use with the Summits. And he might be right, it's one of the best examples out there, almost mint condition, was bought from the proverbial wife in LA selling her ex husbands stuff.

I'm sure he is as wonderful as my friends say he is, and just might tell me my beloved SAE A1001 is not the amp to use with the Summits. And he might be right, it's one of the best examples out there, almost mint condition, was bought from the proverbial wife in LA selling her ex husbands stuff.
Congrats, that SAE is one rare and collectible piece. Not sure how well it would handle low impedance's though.

In my new home I designed a media closet for 6 ft rack of gear 5 amps Prepro etc. special dual 20amp circuits with Furez CL3 10/2 wire runs in wall to 9 speakers. Front & center channels have matched lengths

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buy the Sanders speaker cables and never concern yourself about cabling again. His IC's are excellent too.
The claim is that they are the best for electrostats, but how about the case where you have a hybrid, as I do (SL3)?

I have found a place in Montreal that has the Mogami 3082 at $1.98/ft.

The claim is that they are the best for electrostats, but how about the case where you have a hybrid, as I do (SL3)?

I have found a place in Montreal that has the Mogami 3082 at $1.98/ft.
Bernard, you could also use it for woofers though it wouldn't be ideal.

For magnetic drive you ideally want very low LCR figures. The coax design of the Mogami will give you very low L but its C and R "might" be too high.

EDIT: Belden 8237 would also work.

Last edited:
Hola. I had read that the capacitance is dependable of the skin that the wire is covered. Teflon is the way to go. Teflon skin offers the less capacitance available. Inductance is dependable of how close the two wires are. If thy are twisted together, you can reduce it dramatically. If you can not twist them together, then separate them at least 1/2 an inch. This will reduce the inductance. And a heavy gauge cable has less resistance than a thin gauge cable. Use No. 12. On the other hand, ML electrostatics love silver. Heavy coated silver over copper, like the T-14 made by DH Labs, is a very inexpensive speaker cable, and works very well with hybrid speakers.

Also inside of the cable cover, you have a plastic strip to damp the cable vibration. You could use two cables, soldered together and bring the T-14 to No. 12 gauge. You can buy it used for good price. Use same size of course to put them together. Its very clean, with very good dynamics with the silver resolution. We all know that the electrons on a speaker cable travels more at the outside of the cable. That´s the reason the DH Labs are using heavy silver coated over copper, to bring out the benefits of the silver, without braking your wallet. Its not the best speaker cable, but for what you paid, and what you get, your ears will tell.

Happy listening!

Hola. I had read that the capacitance is dependable of the skin that the wire is covered. Teflon is the way to go. Teflon skin offers the less capacitance available. Inductance is dependable of how close the two wires are. If thy are twisted together, you can reduce it dramatically. If you can not twist them together, then separate them at least 1/2 an inch. This will reduce the inductance. And a heavy gauge cable has less resistance than a thin gauge cable. Use No. 12. On the other hand, ML electrostatics love silver. Heavy coated silver over copper, like the T-14 made by DH Labs, is a very inexpensive speaker cable, and works very well with hybrid speakers.

Also inside of the cable cover, you have a plastic strip to damp the cable vibration. You could use two cables, soldered together and bring the T-14 to No. 12 gauge. You can buy it used for good price. Use same size of course to put them together. Its very clean, with very good dynamics with the silver resolution. We all know that the electrons on a speaker cable travels more at the outside of the cable. That´s the reason the DH Labs are using heavy silver coated over copper, to bring out the benefits of the silver, without braking your wallet. Its not the best speaker cable, but for what you paid, and what you get, your ears will tell.

Happy listening!

I see from their website (http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/T14.html) that the T14, at 21.5 pF/ft is great on the C side of things. Anything < ~80pF/ft should work fine here for ESL's. I wonder what the LR values for this cable are?

I found this: ...¨ Details: Silver Sonic T-14 High Resolution speaker cable was designed by D.H. LABS to provide the highest quality sound at a much lower price than competing cables. It uses the finest materials available, including silver, oxygen-free copper and a pure Teflon dielectric.
Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cable has a very low capacitance of 21.5 pico-farads per foot. The inductance is also very low, which allows consistent performance with a wide variety of speakers. In fact, A ten foot length of this cable has less inductance than the output stages of many amplifiers! Vibration damping spacers and a tensioned wrap under the jacket hold the conductors tightly in place, and the cable is completely free from resonance's and microphonic effects that cause a loss of resolution.
From the deepest bass to the highest treble, T-14 provides the most transparent sound possible, with precise imaging and a large, deep sound stage.
I offer 4 different versions: Standard, Biwire, Shotgun and Biwire Shotgun. Most speaker cables combine the positive and negative cables together. I have discovered with the Biwire, Shotgun and Biwire Shotgun, by separating the Positive and Negative cable from each other there is an improvement in the sound quality. If you want the Biwire setup with the positive and negative wires combined like the most standard biwire setups, I will do this at no additional cost. All Shotgun Setups will remain separate, but can be combined for an additional fee. I have 3 standard terminations I use. Shown below. I can however order almost another brand termination you desire. Example: Cardas, WBT. Cardas will offer the best matching sound signature to the T14 cable. The Cardas Spades are silver plated copper with an additional plating of rhodium to prevent tarnishing...¨

Inductance is dependable of how close the two wires are. If thy are twisted together, you can reduce it dramatically. If you can not twist them together, then separate them at least 1/2 an inch. This will reduce the inductance.
You have that upside down. The closer together, the less inductance. Twisting may help keep them together.

For the most part, capacitance and inductance are opposite sides of the same coin. If you reduce one the other one increases.

Back