What speaker wires do you use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the other side of the spectrum. I did not want to hear a difference but I did.

I run Audioquest WEL signature, 8ft, solid core silver wires, 12g.

Yes, I'm crazy.

And no, I don't want an argument.
Wow! I just checked the price of those cables.....a 2008 review states that an 8' pair is $14,500!

I thought I'd jump in here for a thought, (haven't been on here for a while and miss the place).

Couple years ago, a friend was moving and during his transition I had an opportunity to try several AQ cables for a while until his stuff got moved out of state. He had Rocket 88, Rocket 44 (which he said I could use on long term loan), and I had some of the cheaper Type 4, and Type 2. I also experimented with old corroded Monster 16 gauge, undersized zip cord, and finally 4 conductor 14 gauge home supply speaker wire twisted into 2-wire.

I noticed the biggest change with the zip cord, no bass and little mids. Monster was next worst. Everything else was a toss up. I spent a couple weeks changing speaker wires back and forth! Even though I have AQ wire to use if I want, I have kept using the 4 conductor wire ever since.

FWIW I use passive bi-amping, yes I know both sides of the argument, I'm happy with my choice. I also use diy XLR interconnects.

Just installed a pair of Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8 that I purchased from The Used Cable Company Division of The Cable Company. Just lovely cables and the price was very right. They have great sales and return policies and will also sent out multiple products for you to audition at your leisure in your own system.

Alan

I myself use Nordost blue heaven speaker cable on my motion 40s. Is it worth the full price HECK NO. Lucky for me a got a very very good deal. I can tell no difference from the Nordost vs my Bestbuy cables. If you want to see something interesting check this out Monster XP versus Aluminum Foil. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...-versus-aluminum-foil-speaker-cable-test.html The results are practically identical, it would be impossible to identify which cable was which based on the frequency response and output levels. Now am I going to use foil anytime soon no, but this really makes you think. :confused:

Despite the statement quoted above I have read a lot of very interesting things about the Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables and I am tempted to try them. Has anyone of you out there in the rest of the world tried them on MLs?
I would want them on a pair of ML Aerius and would very much appreciate your opinion :bowdown:

Thank you.

I use Nordost Frey 2 with my Renaissance ESL 15A, before that I was using Audioquest Oak. The difference in sound is immediate but it's not really about bad or good just different. The result is pretty much the same on my Audio Note AN-E/Lexus Hemp. If someone wants to use aluminum foil on their gear all the power to them, it would be much cheaper :)

Last edited:
I use Nordost Frey 2 with my Renaissance ESL 15A, before that I was using Audioquest Oak. The difference in sound is immediate but it's not really about bad or good just different. The result is pretty much the same on my Audio Note AN-E/Lexus Hemp. If someone wants to use aluminum foil on their gear all the power to them, it would be much cheaper :)

Hi Anjin,

I myself am currently using some older generation Audio Note speaker cables, I do not remember the type they are the ones with the green and white cotton thread insulation in a plastic hose. Every single Cu braid are lacquered preventing the electrons jumping in between the braids. As they are a quite old construction I am just wondering whether newer generations of cables i.e. silver plated cables will perform better.
What is meant with "aluminium foil"? Would you be so kind to either give me an example or an explanation?

Thank you.

PS. Maybe I should add that my MLs are bi-amped and the length of my speaker wires are 1 meter (2 x 1 meter per speaker).

Last edited:
Hi Anjin,

I myself am currently using some older generation Audio Note speaker cables, I do not remember the type they are the ones with the green and white cotton thread insulation in a plastic hose. Every single Cu braid are lacquered preventing the electrons jumping in between the braids. As they are a quite old construction I am just wondering whether newer generations of cables i.e. silver plated cables will perform better.
What is meant with "aluminium foil"? Would you be so kind to either give me an example or an explanation?

Thank you.

PS. Maybe I should add that my MLs are bi-amped and the length of my speaker wires are 1 meter (2 x 1 meter per speaker).

The aluminum foil comment was in regards to this link http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...-versus-aluminum-foil-speaker-cable-test.html

I feel system synergy is very important but like every cable debate opinions differ wildly. With Martin Logan speakers I've always used Audioquest solid copper cables with class A, A/B or tube amps. Once I switched to a class AD Devialet I found the overall sound better with Nordost cables. The best advice I could offer is to find a dealer that provides in home demos to figure out what cable is the best match in your system. Audio Note cables are supposed to be very good but I haven't had a chance to try any at home.

The aluminum foil comment was in regards to this link http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...-versus-aluminum-foil-speaker-cable-test.html

I feel system synergy is very important but like every cable debate opinions differ wildly. With Martin Logan speakers I've always used Audioquest solid copper cables with class A, A/B or tube amps. Once I switched to a class AD Devialet I found the overall sound better with Nordost cables. The best advice I could offer is to find a dealer that provides in home demos to figure out what cable is the best match in your system. Audio Note cables are supposed to be very good but I haven't had a chance to try any at home.

Thank you Anjin, very interesting and worth a try!
I wonder how to make it a bit more nice to look at, cover each wire in a plastic hose or a wire wrap...

After having done quite some investigation on the net (also on aluminium foil) speaker cables, I have started to focus on some Kimber 12TC. I would run them in bi-amping (4 braids for the panel and 8 braids for the woofer (ML Aerius powerd by 2 stereo class A tube amps).
I have performed a search on the forum on "Kimber" and found that quite a number of you either have used or are still using Kimber Cables in your systems. I would be greatful if some of you would share your experience, impressions, pros and cons using Kimber LS Cables, especially the TC series but also comments on the other series are welcome.

Looking forward to hear from you.

PS:I didn´t intend to start a discussion on if the Kimber TC series are worth the money or not and if other alternative cables are better, I was just looking for your experience with Kimber cables on your MLs.
Thank you. :bowdown:

Last edited:
I use AQ Type 8 cables bi-wired. I noticed a softer, less harsh top end when I switched to these cables from Blue Jeans 10 gauge cables. I'm very happy with them especially for the price.

I use AQ Type 8 cables bi-wired. I noticed a softer, less harsh top end when I switched to these cables from Blue Jeans 10 gauge cables. I'm very happy with them especially for the price.

I am a big AQ fan as well.

I'm at the bottom end of speaker cable aficionados, but would like to share my experience with simple inexpensive cable. I used 13 gauge Supra (Swedish) fine stranded copper speaker wire. It was much better than the bass-heavy Monster cable I had earlier. Sounded nice, nothing special. I read an article on Audioholics called "the Speaker cable face-off" where they tested normal zip cord against twisted Cat5 ethernet cable for resistance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Looked interesting and inexpensive to try.

I had a guy make speaker cable for me from Cat5e/6 cable (see pic). The difference was real! Bass was lower, but voices, instruments and highs got better. There was a definite sparkle at the top end and a more airy sound. I could hear guitar plucks and the last syllable or the "ssss" at the end of the word/sentence. I'm not sure why there was such a difference, but I've stuck with the Cat cable and haven't changed since. I have an Anthem amp now, so have corrected for the lower bass using ARC. I haven't done an A/B with the old Supra wires post the amp change.

IMG_0239.jpg

After having done quite some investigation on the net (also on aluminium foil) speaker cables, I have started to focus on some Kimber 12TC. I would run them in bi-amping (4 conductors for the panel and 8 conducters for the woofer (ML Aerius powerd by 2 stereo class A tube amps).
I have performed a search on the forum on "Kimber" and found that quite a number of you either have used or are still using Kimber Cables in your systems. I would be greatful if some of you would share your experience, impressions, pros and cons using Kimber LS Cables, especially the TC series but also comments on the other series are welcome.

Looking forward to hear from you.

PS:I didn´t intend to start a discussion on if the Kimber TC series are worth the money or not and if other alternative cables are better, I was just looking for your experience with Kimber cables on your MLs.
Thank you. :bowdown:

I eventually decided to try out the Kimber 12CT (white/clear) each 1,5 meter per chanel in bi-amping confectioned like stated above 2x4 conductors for the panels and 2x8 conductors for the woofer. Imus say I do absolutely not regret the decision. Compared to my 35 year old Audio Note twisted pair and cotton insulated speaker cables (one of the first Audio Note UK speaker cables) the difference was astonishing. Image got much deeper and wider, the music gained naturalness, transparency and coherence. The noise floor went down and the speakers desappered even more than before.
All in all there is simply more musicality and balance.

For those of you who are looking for a payable cable it is really worth a try.

Last edited:
While I am at it, I got a hint from a my high-end dealer telling me not to confection my Kimber 12TC as stated in my last thread above but like this:

For the panels - 2 conductors on the plus binding post and 6 conductors on the minus post (currently confectioned: 4 conductors per binding post for the panels)
For the woofer - 4 conductors on the plus binding post and 12 conductors on the minus post (currently confectioned: 8 conductors per binding post for the woofers)
(My MLs are driven in bi-amping.)

He told me it would bring more weight on the minus (chassis) side and it would sound better. I tried to google to find some theoretical evidence but didn´t find anything.
Has anyone of you heard such thing or possible made experience with such a configuration?

Last edited:
So I recently changed my speaker wires to Mogami 3082 (supposedly the same cable that Sanders is using). I bought them from ebay ("costlowest" is the seller). His price is pretty good, $95 for a pair of 8ft. I heard no difference going from the KnuKonceptz Karma 10 gauge to the AudioQuest Type 4 but there definitely is a difference going from the Type 4 to the Mogami. It's hard to describe the difference but I guess you can say it sounds more 3 dimensional.

Last edited:
Back