What speaker wires do you use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry9800

Reaction score
Hello ML owners,

I just bought all my speakers and receiver. Last thing I need to get are the speaker wires. What wires are you guys using? Do wires actually make a difference?

Here is what I got

Front and Left ML ESL 8inch standing speakers
Motif center speaker
Klipsch Refer 12" 400W subwoofer r12sw
Denon x4200 receiver.

What wires are you guys using?

Myself Jerry, I use these ....... http://signalcable.com/ultraspeaker.html

Do wires actually make a difference?

yes, but not as much as some would lead you to believe, while you can spend $80,000 for a pair of speaker cables (MIT top of the line), absurd IMO, as with all cable connections it is the point of 'connection' that is most important. One of the more popular 'affordable' cables ....... https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

yes, but not as much as some would lead you to believe, while you can spend $80,000 for a pair of speaker cables (MIT top of the line), absurd IMO, as with all cable connections it is the point of 'connection' that is most important. One of the more popular 'affordable' cables ....... https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Agreed.

FYI, I don't use connectors. I put dielectric grease on the copper so it won't oxidize and I stick it straight into my amp and speakers and screw them down hard.

My speaker wire is overkill, but I had it sitting around so I used it. It's 6 gauge symmetrically wound OFC.

Having lots of strands lets the wire lay well, but skin effect is very minimal at near DC like Audio is. You could use solid core and not hear a difference. The dip at 20kHz is about 5%. Most of us can't hear that high and a JNHD (just noticeable hearing difference) is on a logarithmic scale so 5% is absolutely negligible.

In the end I think many of us go for something that looks pretty :)

The difference I heard when I first put in the ClearDay Shotgun cables, was remarkable. Honestly, it was like going from looking through a screen to an open window. I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to these things, and usually changes from cables are pretty small but in my system, this was ear opening. :rocker:

The problem with that statement is that no one has ever been able to objectively hear the difference in any sort of testing. There is $30,000 on the table or at least there was at one time if anyone could reliably hear the difference between speaker cables.

What happens is that people put a new set of cables on their system and hope it sounds better. That is enough to completely alter their frame of mind and it does sound better because they are listening closer and hearing more detail than they normally do.

Sadly the human brain is not very objective about these things.

The problem with that statement is that no one has ever been able to objectively hear the difference in any sort of testing. There is $30,000 on the table or at least there was at one time if anyone could reliably hear the difference between speaker cables.

What happens is that people put a new set of cables on their system and hope it sounds better. That is enough to completely alter their frame of mind and it does sound better because they are listening closer and hearing more detail than they normally do.

Shhhhhh Mark, don't let the 'audio fool' community know the truth .........they can't handle it !

on the serious side of things, it always cracks me up when folks talk of the quantum leap cable changes make, in reality 'subtle' is a better word to use

Shhhhhh Mark, don't let the 'audio fool' community know the truth .........they can't handle it !

on the serious side of things, it always cracks me up when folks talk of the quantum leap cable changes make, in reality 'subtle' is a better word to use

Did I overstep? If I hear "a veil was lifted" after I used X product one more time I will puke. Sorry.

Jerry,

Given your overall setup, I would not recommend investing in expensive speaker wire. Blue Jeans or Signal Cables, or something comparable, would be more than enough for optimal sound reproduction. Put the $$ savings towards upgrading to one of the ML Reserve line speakers and/or higher-end separates down the road.

It works like that in other fields too. I used to have a Mazda RX-7. Every time I washed and polished it, it seemed to accelerate better, corner better, etc. I estimated that just washing it gave me 20% more horsepower.

It works like that in other fields too. I used to have a Mazda RX-7. Every time I washed and polished it, it seemed to accelerate better, corner better, etc. I estimated that just washing it gave me 20% more horsepower.

I just made a similar comment to my wife about my car. I just detailed my car and I said it just seems to run smoother after I've cleaned it. I don't know why I always feel that way.

I use good quality 10 guage lamp cord that I bought at my local electronic parts store for like $1.75 a foot. I then added these banana plugs.

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with any set of cables that cost ten times as much.

I use good quality 10 guage lamp cord that I bought at my local electronic parts store for like $1.75 a foot. I then added these banana plugs.

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with any set of cables that cost ten times as much.

I'd love to have my friend with the garden hose sized cables sitting on ceramic mushrooms to keep them off the ground see if he could hear the difference between them and lamp shade wires :)

excellent Mike .............:rocker:

Thanks for all the input guys. I initially bought some cheap RCA 14 gauge wires and just recently switched to the 12 gauge speaker wire with banana clips from blue jean cables and WOW there is a much clearer and much more noticeable difference in sound. So definitely speaker wires do matter. Thanks again guys!

I myself use Nordost blue heaven speaker cable on my motion 40s. Is it worth the full price HECK NO. Lucky for me a got a very very good deal. I can tell no difference from the Nordost vs my Bestbuy cables. If you want to see something interesting check this out Monster XP versus Aluminum Foil. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...-versus-aluminum-foil-speaker-cable-test.html The results are practically identical, it would be impossible to identify which cable was which based on the frequency response and output levels. Now am I going to use foil anytime soon no, but this really makes you think. :confused:

I use anti-cables...I think they are a total steal for the price. For years I used Monster cables and then I recently tried anti-cables. I haven't done much of an A/B comparison, but I want to say there are some rather subtle differences.

Eric, good to hear your voice ...... or your typing anyways !

I make use of QED XT40 speaker cable. This speaker cable is average in performance. I use airlock spades at speaker end and airlock bananas at amplifier end.

My lautsprechers produce better sonics during the winter season and not too great during summer season.

Mine are so old they have hair growing off them, still sound nice tho. Looking to get some from Roger Sanders to be the best I can get from the amp/speaker interface!

Latest posts

Back