Great new Anthem MCA 225 power amplifier.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Name of Amplifier Manufacturer

Anthem.

Model

Anthem MCA 225.

Manufacturer suggested retail price

210,000 PKR.

Basic specifications

Power Output, continuous both channel, 20 Hz to 20 KHz, < 1 % THD
200 W @ 8 ohm
310 W @ 4 ohm
370 W @ 2 ohm

THD at 100 W
At 1 KHz 0.0010%
At 20Khz 0.015%

SNR, IEC-A, ref. 225W 120 dB

Damping Factor, 20 Hz to 1 KHz 300

Channel Separation, 100Hz to 10Khz >65 dB

Input Sensitivity, 225 W into 8 ohm 1.5 Vrms

Voltage Gain 29 dB

Experience using this power amp:

Introduction

I dedicate review of amplifier to my friend Roberto and without his advice i may not have purchased this great sounding amplifier.

Anthem MCA225 is designed, engineered and crafted in Canada. Not made in Asia or Far East.

Out of the box during the first week the sound is a combination of transistor sound and musical sounds. The pleasant musical sound ends by the first week and the buyer or listener is faced with the dire prospect of, not musical, transistor sound thereafter. This review would end here if it were not for the metamorphosis of Anthem amp from ugly duckling to beautiful, graceful swan by the end of first three months of operation.

Inside the Anthem power amplifier

Located on the backside of the front panel is a large single custom low noise, high power toroidal transformer.

In the front right corner is the capacitor bank comprising of 4 medium sized cylindrical high quality filter capacitors.

This amplifier has a dual mono configuration. At the back next to left and right walls there are oversized aluminum heat sinks.

Near each heat sink mounted on circuit board are 8 heat radiating high current bipolar output transistors. These are used for signal amplification.

Advanced power supply regulators operate inside the amplifier.

Description of sound quality

Anthem has transformed to a reasonable or fair extent the acoustic sounds produced by my CLS 1 loudspeakers.

This amplifier produces distortion free, clear, dynamic, resolved, fast, smooth, natural and tonally rich sound. Not a dry or bleached sounding amplifier.

Vocals are soft spoken through this amp. Vocals are not forced down the ears but rather the listener is invited to listen at their ease.

Imaging is very good. Sound images extend a foot to 3 feet outside of both left and right speaker. When I play the track Blasphemous Rumours performed by Depeche Mode of their album The Singles 81>85, there is present stunning imaging on transients.

After listening to The Essential Jean Michel Jarre, I can say, transients are reproduced with speed, precision and clarity. No blurring of sounds. Anthem plays to the strength, namely, precision of the CLS.

The sound gives a hint of delicateness of music notes though not much in this area, unfortunately.

The treble seems understated but on careful listening is evident is natural and not artificially bright like in less expensive and less potent amplifiers. When cymbals are played in Tango in the night performed by Fleetwood Mac the notes slowly decay or fade with time.

I am fortunate this amp performs fairly well when orchestral music is played.

Conclusion

After the three month run in period is over, I am delighted and very satisfied by the performance of Anthem power amplifier. Anthem MCA225 has given new life to my CLS. If, Anthem can make my 27 year old, electrostatic loudspeakers, shine. Then, just imagine how pleasing sound created when matched with new generation electrostatic loudspeakers.

Name of loudspeaker driven with this amplifier

Martin Logan Curvilinear Line Source 1 Version 2.

Image of the amplifier

PICT0405.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola Rehan...its good to know that you are very happy with the new Anthem power amp.

Just looking at the pic that you just posted, the date is not correct. You have adjust the date at your camera easy. If you do not have the instructions for changing the date, just google a little bit with you camera model and brand, and you can find the owners manual. (just kidding)

Enjoy my friend! Happy listening!

The Anthem MCA 225 is on sale for $1,599.20 (4/30/2020)

I was checking prices earlier this month and the Anthem hompage showed a sale price (20%off) on these amps.
Went to my local Anthem dealer and placed an order, received it a week later.
It sounds great on my ML CLS1's. I'm using a old Anthem AVC 20 (used price $200) preamp.
Re listening to all my music again...everything has improved!

I was checking prices earlier this month and the Anthem hompage showed a sale price (20%off) on these amps.
Went to my local Anthem dealer and placed an order, received it a week later.
It sounds great on my ML CLS1's. I'm using a old Anthem AVC 20 (used price $200) preamp.
Re listening to all my music again...everything has improved!

I have been listening to Anthem MCA 225 over past 4 years. Purchased this amp in April of 2016.

Compared to when I just acquired MCA 225 now there is minimum 2 percent to maximum 5 percent harmonic distortion in the sonics produced by this amp. Amp is designed with bipolar transistors. When bipolar transistors start to age they produce harmonic distortion that is not pleasing to the human ear. Tube harmonic distortion is less abrasive. Therefore now I use MCA225 for driving woofers only.

Compared to STR integrated the STR is smoother sounding with no audible distortion. One reason that comes to my mind for distortion produced by MCA225 is that amp has polarized power receptacle. Power cable not supplied with amp in Pakistan. I always used non polarized power cord with this amp. Using wrong or non polarized cable may have damaged MCA225. And caused slight increase in harmonic distortion.

My advice covers 3 points. First, use the correct or polarized power cable. Second, attach the red rca to right rca terminal of amp. One design flaw both rca terminal at reverse of amp are white in color. Instead of red and white or red and black. Third, for audible minor improvement in sound mechanically ground MCA225.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Latest posts

Back