ML Neolith - what a beast!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Finally got to hear a pair and they did not disappoint. Imaging was solid, bass was unreal, and cohesion was pretty much seamless. Color me impressed.

Another audition under Emma's belt as well. The kid has heard more hifi gear than I did my first 30 years here... Haha... Definitely a budding audiophile!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 632
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 633
Your daughter is adorable Joey, shame you had to listen to the Neolith's in such a 'half assed' set up. Just imagine how good they would sound in a proper environment !

Your daughter is adorable Joey, shame you had to listen to the Neolith's in such a 'half assed' set up. Just imagine how good they would sound in a proper environment !

Yeah, he needs to borrow a pair and cram them into a college dorm room so he can do a proper audition.

Yeah, he needs to borrow a pair and cram them into a college dorm room so he can do a proper audition.

Lol

If only i had the room and the cash... What a great set of speakers

Do you want to give a bit more of a review. I haven't heard them yet.

Sure, let's see.

So I demoed Dave Brubeck and 3 tracks of Sam Smith, the first 3 on his album.

On the jazz piece I noted that true to life size instruments, truly, I had no difficulty picturing the piano in my head, size and all.... that's what really freaked me out. I'm familiar with ML and have heard some pretty nice speakers both in demo rooms and in my own room (I have owned SF Stradivari, BW 802D2, Rockport Aviors, and currently own SF Olympica 3 and BW 802D3). Never did I have to open my eyes and close them again just in sheer amazement to what I was hearing just slightly to the right of the stage.... it was like my wife was playing the piano infront of me.

On Sam Smith, I played the first 3 tracks, typically I can't stand track 1 on most systems, but on this one, I just played it right through... into track 2 (which I'm not fond of)... then into track 3 which is the "pop" song that everyone's heard on radio... if I can play through tracks I don't like, the system is doing something really really good.

What I noticed were the following:

Imaging - good but not the best I've heard, but definitely up there. There was palpability to the voice, but I think the back wave of the panels smear the staging a little. A little less clean imaging than from other typical hi end speakers from my experience.

Front to back staging - I think this was very good, the singer seemed to be at the plane or slightly infront of the panel's plane. More importantly, I felt like the vertical height was JUST RIGHT.... at approximately 5 feet tall in terms of chest/mouth height which is PERFECT. I would attribute this to the fact this vertical height that most speakers just don't get right with the fact that these Neoliths are perfectly vertical and act as a line source so there is minimal interaction with teh ceiling thus no pulling of the vocal image upwards as you would experience with typical well-radiating conventional speakers (like my 802D3). There was a good recreation of space behind him and felt atleast 6 feet back... again, this is probably more record dependent than speaker capability, though I know the back wave can smear this as well.

Side to side staging - the panels were huge, so while it would seem like the instrument is coming right out of one panel, if you closed your eyes, there was a convincing effect that the instrument was occuring in that region, but beyond the borders of the panel (if that makes sense). In other words, the panels were so big that it was not unusual to feel like a 1/5th of the stage was isolated to either Right or Left panels.

Tone - I think it was just right. Sounded legitimate.

Highs - probably not searing highs like you would on a diamond tweeter, perhaps not the hyper detail that you can get from either a diamond or a beryllium tweeter - but enough and just right. Voicing reminded me a little of my SF Olympica 3. Easy to listen to. O3 is a lot more wooly and peetered off I think.

Mids - no complaints there. Very dynamic midbass or so it seemed.

Lows - impressive, never heard a room powered that well with just the tower speakers sans subwoofers. I will say, the bass was a little thick and boomy in some parts of the music reproduction, but given the adjustability of the Neoliths and given the inadequacies of a room with multiple set ups, if I had these at my own house, I'd be able to tweak them nearly right I think and the bass would be a non issue. The main thing is this - it has bass, in spades, it is tweakable, and thus it can be done just right.

Overall impression - I would buy a pair...

... if I could.

Last edited:
Bottomline, it's like everything I thought the Summits could have been (as good as they were to me).... and more. Of course, they are bigger, have larger woofer cabinets and woofers, and are more expensive, so that goes wihtout saying.

The smearing issue can be easily corrected by some will placed obsobtion on the front wall. With my dedicated listening room I have done that years ago when I received my Summit Xs. Imagining is the best I have heard so far.

I agree with George, the wall behind them in the pic should have more absorption.
There must be some ugly first reflections from the left Neolith with 3 ML speakers lined up in a row. You can't really tell what the right side issue might be with speakers standing there also.

Brad / George,

Say what you want but a speaker of that caliber should NOT be given the Band-Aid treatment. A proper room with proper dimensions is first and foremost. I have listened to countless systems in compromised settings (my own included) they NEVER reach their full potential.

I agree with George, the wall behind them in the pic should have more absorption.
There must be some ugly first reflections from the left Neolith with 3 ML speakers lined up in a row. You can't really tell what the right side issue might be with speakers standing there also.
Whatever happened to single-speaker demo rooms? When there were lots of bricks and mortar stores, these rooms were trumpeted in their advertising.

I'm in agreement with you Dave. I was only pointing to the fact that really none of those speakers should be demoed in a position like that. I realize that there is only so much room there but to demo a $75,000 speakers positioned like that wouldn't be doing then any justice.

Yes Bernard I think the days of limited equipment demo room is pretty much gone.

Brad, come to think of it, I do know of one store (Filtronique in Montreal) where they asked me to call ahead if I want a speaker demo, so that they can wheel that speaker into their single speaker demo room and get the equipment warmed up.

Whatever happened to single-speaker demo rooms? When there were lots of bricks and mortar stores, these rooms were trumpeted in their advertising.

Overture Audio, Wilmington,De has the best auditioning rooms I've ever experienced. They would NEVER put a speaker of Neolith's caliber in anything but it's own room.

I'm in agreement with you Dave. I was only pointing to the fact that really none of those speakers should be demoed in a position like that. I realize that there is only so much room there but to demo a $75,000 speakers positioned like that wouldn't be doing then any justice.

totally agree Brad

Yes Bernard I think the days of limited equipment demo room is pretty much gone.

I agree.. but atleast I got to hear them.

And despite the inadequacies of the room - they sounded spectacular. Just imagine if they were completely optimized. ;)

Joey V... Glad to see you still have the Hi-Fi bug... IIRC you went MIA while in Med School...is that correct?

I'm selling my Prodigy because I am moving to a new (smaller) house. Keeping the rest for now. Man I love the Neolith, but if I don't have room for Prodigy I certainly don't have room for those beasts!

All the best to you my friend!
James

Latest posts

Back