New member, older owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaTerry

Reaction score
My name is Terry from Tulsa, Oklahoma and I'm excited to find a community of experienced ML Owners whose knowledge I can hopefully tap into! I've had my Martin Logan speakers for some time now and have just recently started getting serious about my home audio set-up. Let me start by describing my system and let y'all tell me the multitude of things I've done wrong or can improve upon! I've just begun my quest for "perfect" sound, so be gentle! :)

Front R&L- Purity
Center- Motif
Back R&L- Passage

Receiver- Onkyo TX-NR807

That's it. No pre-amp; no amplifier; no bells & whistles (mainly because I am so uneducated on what I have and what the possibilities are). From what I gather, my speakers are rather underpowered :) and I've been told that my first step would be to invest in an amplifier.

Any and all opinions/advice welcome as I research previous posts!

I am also currently having a problem with "crackling" in my right front Purity when the bass frequency hits a certain range. "overdriving"? damaged speaker!? How??, I've never "cranked" it!

Again...pumped to have found this site and I look forward to the experience!

So...Apparently, I'm supposed to post my system spec's in another, more appropriate place in the forum? Oops..."breakin' the law!.

Hi Terry. Welcome to the forum. I am a Purity owner too.
I don't think that you need to invest in an amplifier. The Purity's are self powered, and an amp (at least a power amp) will not make them sound better. A better pre amp, or a more refined integrated, might be better though, but not sound level wise. The Purity is a small speaker and is very good for small rooms. I am listening at about 8 feet from them.
I have no experience with the crackling sound you hear. Sounds like there is something broken. Or a loose bolt maybe..?

So...Apparently, I'm supposed to post my system spec's in another, more appropriate place in the forum? Oops..."breakin' the law!.

no worries Terry, all is good and Welcome to the fold !

not sure about your 'crackling' issue, I'm not at all familiar with the Purity's but switch L/R leads and see if the problem follows the speaker or stays with the channel.

Back